Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
209camaross
 
209camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: modesto ca
Posts: 139
would high flow cats make the AFM more louder?

I have the borla atak on my car right now and the afm drives me nuts when I cruise on drive so mostly use the paddle shifters. Thinking about getting some solo high flow cats but I dont know if the afm will get louder.
209camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
I have the borla atak on my car right now and the afm drives me nuts when I cruise on drive so mostly use the paddle shifters. Thinking about getting some solo high flow cats but I dont know if the afm will get louder.
i have really contemplated getting the atak and also installing HF cats so hopefully someone can help

do you still have the resonator?
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
209camaross
 
209camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: modesto ca
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
i have really contemplated getting the atak and also installing HF cats so hopefully someone can help

do you still have the resonator?
Yea I still have the resonator. The borla atak is loud but I just need something a bit more louder. I think the HF cats would do it but the afm is whats stopping me from doing it. It gets annoying after awhile
209camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
Yea I still have the resonator. The borla atak is loud but I just need something a bit more louder. I think the HF cats would do it but the afm is whats stopping me from doing it. It gets annoying after awhile
hmmm... thats something to consider. im also looking for that extra sound. i just have the muffler delete, still have the resonator tho.
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
209camaross
 
209camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: modesto ca
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
hmmm... thats something to consider. im also looking for that extra sound. i just have the muffler delete, still have the resonator tho.
You have the ls3 though so you dont have to worry about no afm. I would say go for it. I shouldve gotten a ls3
209camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
I have the borla atak on my car right now and the afm drives me nuts when I cruise on drive so mostly use the paddle shifters. Thinking about getting some solo high flow cats but I dont know if the afm will get louder.
Do you have the stock cats on the car now?
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
209camaross
 
209camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: modesto ca
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Do you have the stock cats on the car now?
Yea I still have them on
209camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,197
What makes you think replacing them with a set of HFC's would make it quieter? If you read ANY thread on solo's or the like, everyone of them says they make the exhaust louder. Anything that makes your exhaust louder is going to make the AFM louder as well. The only way to get rid of the AFM noise is to tune it.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
209camaross
 
209camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: modesto ca
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
What makes you think replacing them with a set of HFC's would make it quieter? If you read ANY thread on solo's or the like, everyone of them says they make the exhaust louder. Anything that makes your exhaust louder is going to make the AFM louder as well. The only way to get rid of the AFM noise is to tune it.
I know its not going to make it quieter but I was just wondering how louder was the AFM going to get with the HFCs. I dont want to tune it because of the warranty.I guess I have to just suck it up then
209camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
I know its not going to make it quieter but I was just wondering how louder was the AFM going to get with the HFCs. I dont want to tune it because of the warranty.I guess I have to just suck it up then
If it's driving you crazy now, it will only get worse after HFC's.

Since you don't want to tune, you nailed it.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
You have the ls3 though so you dont have to worry about no afm. I would say go for it. I shouldve gotten a ls3
we have two in our family mines an l99, maybe we can tune the afm out and still keep our warranty if our dealer doesnt mind
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
litle88
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,349
TUNE! Tune!! TUNE!!!
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
209camaross
 
209camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: modesto ca
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgarner1624 View Post
we have two in our family mines an l99, maybe we can tune the afm out and still keep our warranty if our dealer doesnt mind
Imma go ask my dealer tomorrow but I doubt they will say I can tune it
209camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
HoustonHotRod
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM The Vixen
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas , Tx
Posts: 59
High flow cats make the afm noticeably louder when you let the car do the shifting , it never really bothered me until I installed the high flow cats. However , I drive with tapshift 95% of the time and I rarely ever hear it. Your only other option is to tune it out.
HoustonHotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #15
Kgarner1624
 
Kgarner1624's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2010 2ss L99 & Red 2010 2ss LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
Imma go ask my dealer tomorrow but I doubt they will say I can tune it
just depends on the relationship i guess. but keeping the warranty is number 1 on my list... for now
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
209camaross
 
209camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
Join Date: May 2012
Location: modesto ca
Posts: 139
Well there answer was no just what I expected lol
209camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
Well there answer was no just what I expected lol
Very few dealers are going to say yes because that puts them in a legal liable position. If your engine were to blow it isn't up to your dealership to approve the warranty replacement, it's GM's. If GM were to say no because of tuning, there is no way the dealership would buy you a new engine out of their pocket.

Major powertrain failure has happen to very many people on this forum, but it has happened. The risk is very low.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.