Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Cam shaft help?

So im looking at getting this cam shaft kit for my 2011 Camaro SS M6. is there anyone that has this kit or cam? If so how do you like it. Also i was wondering if anyone could help me with what pushrods and rocker arms i could use with this kit as they are not included in the kit. Thanks for the help and any input. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Pushrods aren't predetermined you have to have your engine builder measure them and rocker arms i personally went with just the trunion upgrade thinking bout later going with comp cams roller rocker arms
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
SolomonAKOO

Oh well I was planning on doing the install myself. And getting a tune from JRE. Guess it's not easy as that then huh.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I would recommend replacing your oil pump while your in there as well as your chain tensioner. You also don't need to replace your lifters. Your OE LS3 lifters are fine. Have you looked at some other websites at there complete cam kits? Vengeance and Jennety have kits with everything you need and nothing you don't.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
SSMickey
SECC

A lot of the better builders have done there combos so often, they know what pushrod length to use. If your not going to go that route though, yes, you need to measure for the correct pushrod length after the install is done, then order the right ones.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
SolomonAKOO

Yeah I've looked at a few of the Jannety packages but that's about it. Who would you suggest as far as buying a complete package from?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
SSMickey
SECC

I only have personal experience with Vengeance Racing, so I'm biased, but I have heard nothing but good things about Jennety, especially his remote tuning.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
SolomonAKOO

Well I looked at the Vengeance racing LS3 cam kit plus and that looks like a hell of a deal. But what cam would you suggest if I want power from around 2000 rpms up to 6000. And also want great driveability since this is my daily driver.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
That cam won't do well with ls3 heads. 222/224 is better suited for cathedral ports.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
^ what he said that duration is alil too high for my liking if you want something aggressive but still driveable look at the night fury that what i went with and im just waiting on the install.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
^ what he said that duration is alil too high for my liking if you want something aggressive but still driveable look at the night fury that what i went with and im just waiting on the install.
The duration on that cam is small for the LS3. Nightmare you must have been looking at the advertised duration . To compare apples to apples you need to look at the duration at .050. And then there are difference in lobe profiles so that may not be an equal comparison.

Last edited by CAP'N B; 02-25-2013 at 07:02 AM.
CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
I installed the vengeance cam plus kit with their Kaotik cam. It's a little bigger than the night fury cam everyone talks about here. It makes great power and drives well. This is my daily driver. Vengeance also does remote tuning.
Vararam, XS Power longtubes and exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, 1LE gears, Vengeance Racing spec'd comp cam with all supporting valvetrain upgrades, Melling Pump. QTP cutouts. 480rwhp.http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/ucantctchme/d5c3102c.jpg
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
litle88
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 Ws6
OP that kit is no bueno it's a baby cam for an Ls1 or 5.3's in that area.

I've heard nothing but good things from the Ls3's about the nightfury cam.

As far as springs I've also heard about the Brian Tooley Platinum springs that have had a "0" fail rate for quite some time now.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html

As long as you don't mill the heads your pushrod length is gonna be a 7.4. You can get them all here as well.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/pushrods/

As far as supporting mods what have you gotten so far?

Hope this helps.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
rahallfly

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I would look around at some of the build shops on here. There is a lot of talk going around with the Night fury and vengeance cams. they are larger cam. If you dont want something that large look for the intake duration somewhere around 225-227.

I have never put a cam in a car before 3 weeks ago. my brother has been in an LS engine a few times and we just put in the cam i got. I ordered the VVT2 package from Texas speed. (for the L99 obviously) I thought everything was a great deal and texas speed is very knowledgeable and could answer any questions. I had to go with new lifters to replace the Displacement on Demand lifters that allow it to cut down to 4cyl but you dont have too.

I did not do the trunion upgrade from comp cams, i am still debating it, but there were a few (just a few of all sold) problems with them.

I have the LS2 Block tensioner new that came with the package if you need one i can mail it to you but if you get a package it should come with.

And last, If you are mechanically inclined and know your way around an engine, you can do this install because robertway did a DIY on the LS3 that is amazing!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

SHAKE ANNNNNNND BAKE!!!!!
rahallfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
SolomonAKOO

Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it. The only mods I have are cold air intake, flowmaster axle back and a superchips programmer. But I'm planning on getting Texas Speed 2" headers and a Jannetty tune before I purchase the cam and valve train kits.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
SSDan

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 VR
First I'm not pushing Vengeance - all the others mentioned in this thread are great shops and cam kit providers too. I just wanted to make sure you (and others ) know that like many shops Vengeance has lots of cam choices.

I'm running what they call their stage II cam. It specs 227/235 613/620 115+3. So - not a monster cam but big enough to need dual springs and hardened push rods. I've attached the dyno sheet so you can see the power under the curve - especially the tq since for street driving a broad tq curve is what we all are after. This cam put me in the same power range and drivability needs as what you mentioned you are looking to have.

I recommend you call these shops and talk about what you want. They will answer your questions and give you options. If you call Vengeance ask for Ryan, Kevin or Ron - they are straight up guys and LS motor heads.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Vengeance Dyno results.PDF (1.01 MB, 59 views)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Thats simular to the off the shelf Comp Im wanting to run, same lobes but on a 113.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
litle88
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I'd prefer the 113! Lumpyer lol
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
SolomonAKOO

Those are nice numbers and also where I want to be. I think in going to take your advice and call them up and talk a bit. I saw someone say that Vengeance also does remote tunes. How good are those? Or would I be better off getting a JRE tune. Also if you guys have any videos of your Vengeance cams I'd love to see them. Just to get a better idea of the sound. I'm kinda new to the Cam game so the numbers are sorta greek to me. But I do appreciate all your input. This is going to help out my decision a lot.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Plenty of good cam shops. Pat G custom is the way to go IMO. The rest of it you can piece together. I would try to get a local tune. Even if you drive down here. Livernois has some nice cams too.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I'm really thrilled with the results of our own cams here at PCM of NC, I'm about to get this one added to our website as soon as I can think of a witty name for it (harder than you think LOL).

I've used this in a few customer cars and now in my own and it's perfect.

With an intake & headers, stock heads, it makes 460-470rwhp. With heads it made 496 rwhp (SAE) in my car and 498 rwhp (SAE) in a customer car. Driveability is really important to me, so I wanted something that I would enjoy driving for more than a week. This cam has great manners - no bucking, surging, downright near-stock driveability characteristics. Sounds great and it picked up power everywhere in the dyno graph, we gave up nothing!

I totally agree with everyone else in this thread - the package you listed is not a good match for an LS3. Contact a sponsor and let them help. We know better than summit does.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
SolomonAKOO

Pat G custom?? I've not yet heard of that. Would it hurt anything if I installed the cam myself then drove down there to get a tune done?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonAKOO View Post
Pat G custom?? I've not yet heard of that. Would it hurt anything if I installed the cam myself then drove down there to get a tune done?
That just depends on the set up that you go with. Sometimes you can limp it to a tuner, sometimes not. Depending on the set up and the distance you have to cover you might want to spring for a base file from the tuner just to get you there easier. We do this a lot for our customers that like to do their own installs - they send in their computer or use a programmer to upload a base file from us to get them here, then we do the rest of the tuning when they arrive.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #24
SSDan

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 VR
[QUOTE=SolomonAKOO;6199407] Also if you guys have any videos of your Vengeance cams I'd love to see them. Just to get a better idea of the sound. QUOTE]

Here you go. Click on this link and there is a vid. that will give you a good idea. Note I had the stock axle back mufflers at that time. I now have ARH mufflers to match the rest of my exhaust. Same nice lope and chop as with the stock mufflers but a better/ deeper tone.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203257

I can't speak about a remote tune but I believe Vengeance can do it. They dyno tuned mine which is the way to go if you can do it.

Beware - listening to cam vids will casue you to spend money!

Last edited by SSDan; 02-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonAKOO View Post
Depending on the size of the cam, the car probably wouldn't idle or run well at all before a tune. So that probably wouldn't work to well.