Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Russ2485

Drives: 10' White w/black stripes Camaro RS
Questions on what everything is

Sorry for being such a noob on here...... BUT what would I need to get for a catback exhaust does everything I need come with the exhaust I would buy? does catback replace the cats? what are hi-flo cats? Do they make a big difference? Would I need a tune after getting exhaust? also what are these like x pipes or j pipes, whats the best? and if I were to get headers too would they just match up to any catback?

I know this is a lot of questions but if anyone could help me understand this before I make a purchase please help me!!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
ayyob83

Drives: Camaro SS 2013 / Tahoe LTZ 2009
the cat back systems are full exhaust systems and gives you more horsepower and great exhaust noise and it depends on what company you want Borla, Corsa .. etc

this is the only thing i know

the rest my brothers here will explain to you
ayyob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
catback hoos up to he factory cat and replaces everything back. they dont add huge horsepower on these cars the only thing they change is sound. if it is an auto you will likely have droning issues due to the afm. everything bolts right up and comes in the kit. you can do a tune to tune out the afm wich will make it much more enjoyable
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
catback exhaust is the piping AFTER the cats. you can keep the stock cats for just a catback. Everything is included. if you want headers, you can run no cats, or get hi flow cats. which are just aftermarket cats that help the exhaust flow faster, but not as fast as no cats. (still a little restrictive with hi flow cats.) depending on which headers you go with, some include hi flow cats, or have an "off road" application. which is no cats. You don't need to worry about midpipes, x pipes, j pipes with a catback. those are usually for people piecing together their exhaust.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
LOL i like that response "this is all i know"

Cat- back exhausts come complete you don't need anything else when you buy one.

Cat- back exhaust are from the Cat back meaning they start after the cat.
you don't need a tune for a Cat-back.
X-pipes are exactly that a X. both pipes come together in an x usually right after the cats, Most Cat-back system already come with X pipes.

J pipes are used by the mufflers to eliminate drone from the interior of your car.

If you do Headers and high flow cats then you will need a tune.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2485 View Post
Sorry for being such a noob on here...... BUT what would I need to get for a catback exhaust does everything I need come with the exhaust I would buy? does catback replace the cats? what are hi-flo cats? Do they make a big difference? Would I need a tune after getting exhaust? also what are these like x pipes or j pipes, whats the best? and if I were to get headers too would they just match up to any catback?

I know this is a lot of questions but if anyone could help me understand this before I make a purchase please help me!!!!
If you are getting a quality CAT back system then it SHOULD come with everything you need to install it. It will not replace your CATs. If you are getting high flow cats then I would reccomend getting headers as well. Most cat back systems will mate to any header but i would talk to the vendor to be absolutely sure. Most headers either come with high flow cats and connections or test pipe (no CATs) connections. I think i hit all of your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyob83 View Post
the cat back systems are full exhaust systems and gives you more horsepower and great exhaust noise and it depends on what company you want Borla, Corsa .. etc

This is not the case. Cat back systems are only for sound.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
ayyob83

Quote:
LOL i like that response "this is all i know"
LOL well it's true because i'm at the beginning of the modding

Quote:
This is not the case. Cat back systems are only for sound.
and i liked it
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyob83 View Post

Catback systems are not full exhaust systems so this is not all you know. You know nothing

Only kidding man, you know a lot.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Catback systems are not full exhaust systems so this is not all you know. You know nothing

And if you don't know and say you do, you can bet your a$$ there will be no shortage of people on here to call you out. But that's how we learn. I know it's true because I read it on the internet.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
ayyob83

Quote:

lol if you say this at one year ago then i'll say yes i don't know anything and now i know a little

and after 1 or 2 years i'll know everything about modding
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2485 View Post

The answer is 42.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
-Cat back will better the sound of yo car.
-Headers/cats will better the power of yo car.
-A tune isn't required for just a catback, but preferred after headers.
-As far as the 'BEST', there are none, just what you like compared to the rest.
-For fitment: Most headers will be fine connecting to any Cat-Back. But you can always get a brand of header with it's respective mid pipe and run different mufflers/axleback.

I run the American Racing headers/x-pipe and Borla ATAK axleback. Everything hooked up perfectly.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
In order from engine back:

Long Tube Headers with high flow cats or no cats provide the most power increase but require a tune (which will void warranty)

High flow cats or a mid-pipe as they are also called will provide a decent HP bump and do not require tuning. It bolts in place of stock cats. Some people will combine them with Shorty headers for a small gain.

An X-pipe will replace the factory H-pipe and offers a small increase in power (not much) it usually bolts up to cats and will require cutting off the H-pipe section and then either welding or clamping to the back half.

Most Catback (i.e. from the cats to the back) exhausts include an X-pipe and replace everything after the cats and usually just bolt in easy.

An axel back just replaces the mufflers and only offers a sound change. They require cutting the exhaust and then again either welding or clamping the new pipes to the existing section.

J-pipes are used to counteract the drone of some exhausts or the AFM on the V8 auto and are welded just before the mufflers.

Hope it helps.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
isn't it illegal to remove cats? I was under the impression that cats are a mandatory component of a car's exhaust system. I know here in VA you will not pass either a 12 months safety inspection or an emissions inspection without them.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
isn't it illegal to remove cats? I was under the impression that cats are a mandatory component of a car's exhaust system. I know here in VA you will not pass either a 12 months safety inspection or an emissions inspection without them.
Is it a visual inspection or just checking for codes?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Rdphish73

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey LS-3 RS/2SS Coupe
Call Ted Jannetty Racing in Waterbury Connecticut. I HIGHLY recommend a quality Cold-Air Intake, Long Tube Headers, Hi-Flo Catalytic Converters, and a Corsa, or Borla Cat-Back exhaust system. Then have Ted tune it all together for you. This would =

Or call a reputable speed shop in Jersey.
2012 AGM LS-3 RS/SS: Airaid CAI, Ceramic Coated Dynatech SuperMaxx LT Headers, High Flow Cats, Borla "S-Type" Cat-Back Exhaust, Ted Jannetty Tuned, LS-3 Cowl Badging, RS/SS Fender Badging. Custom Bow-Ties by Lupe
Rdphish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Rdphish73

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey LS-3 RS/2SS Coupe
Quote:
The answer is 42.
2012 AGM LS-3 RS/SS: Airaid CAI, Ceramic Coated Dynatech SuperMaxx LT Headers, High Flow Cats, Borla "S-Type" Cat-Back Exhaust, Ted Jannetty Tuned, LS-3 Cowl Badging, RS/SS Fender Badging. Custom Bow-Ties by Lupe
Rdphish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Russ2485

Drives: 10' White w/black stripes Camaro RS
Thank you guys a lot for all the answers. I gotta make my car sound mean
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
v6sonoma

Back to the OP.....if you think you will tune at some point, get long tube headers with high flow cats and a tune (Jannetty Racing recommended). That will form the basis of other performance mods in the future and you won't waste any money with a mod that you might have to get rid of later.
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
Is it a visual inspection or just checking for codes?

for annual safety inspection it's a visual inspection of the underside of the car for hole in the floor plan (where exhaust could leak in) and of the integrity of the exhaust system. that's where they would notice the missing cats. the emissions is done by (for 1996 and up cars) hooking it up to the computer. for older cars they have to be put on a dyno with a probe in the tailpipe to monitor whats coming out.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
According to federal law removing the Cats is illegal. Assuming that replacing the entire exhaust system is the same as putting on a converter replacement pipe.

Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person.
The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section 203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote