Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 07-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Loud clunking noise, new driveshaft?

So I just had installed a new alum 1 piece driveshaft from DSS, after reshaping the rear heat shield everything has been great. My office has a huge incline to get into the parking lot, and when I reach the apex of the incline I get a LOUD clunk in the rear. Specifically this happens when my front wheels are level and my rear wheels are just coming up on the apex of the incline. It sounds like my diff is going to fall out!

See below for a very simplistic illustration to get an orientation of when the sound occurs. The only thing that has been touched / changed since the start of this noise was the drive shaft and the rear sway bar was unbolted to change out the endlinks from PFADT's old design to their newer one.

I will say that I'm still having issues with the endlinks and I get a rattle while driving, despite tightening the dog sh!t out of them they still make noise. However I do not attribute a loose endlink to the loud clunk I hear.. I've heard about having to set the pinion angle when installing a new drive shaft, any truth behind that, or if that could be causing the noise?

Last edited by BaylorCamaro; 07-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
There is no adjustable pinion angle on this car. The rear sway bar really should have nothing to do with this. As we've been texting I sent this along to Frank @ DSS for review, they are on a vacation week but I'm sure he'll get back to us as soon as he can.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
There is no adjustable pinion angle on this car. The rear sway bar really should have nothing to do with this. As we've been texting I sent this along to Frank @ DSS for review, they are on a vacation week but I'm sure he'll get back to us as soon as he can.
I appreciate it Matt.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
No problem man, want to get it squared away since I only had the wrong measurements twice for the original shaft

Also nice picture man, we need a new logo for the website interested?
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
No problem man, want to get it squared away since I only had the wrong measurements twice for the original shaft

Third time's a charm.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
The drawing is epic.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

MS paint skills! Had to do it quick since I was still at work, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:

Haha. I actually know a guy for that if interested. All the bolts at tight? Did you recheck them?
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Yup all bolts are tight. I went up the incline at an extreme angle this morning and now sound. So I'm wondering if something is flexing.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
There isnt anything really flexible there. If the diff mount bolts (3) are loose, it can cause a clunk, but as far as the driveshaft goes, the diff and trans are both rigid mounted. Pinion angle is only adjustable via shim to the cradle or trans mount, and should not ever be needed for 99.9% of setups.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote