Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
Elite catch can post install

Installed elite catch can yesterday on LFX. I followed the recommended procedures check all fitting afterwards drove car several hundred miles checked and small amount of oil was present in bottom of can. After warm up I now notice a audiable hissing sound sounds like vacuum leak.


Rechecked connections ( yes i used teflon tape) and I can not find any leak. Is this normal air turbulence sound for the soft rubber line now in place of my cut oem hard smaller I.D pcv hose?

To eliminate this will I need to buy oem pcv hose/line and put as much of that inline as possible or is there another solution.

If so what's part number? thanks
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder
 
christianchevell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,196
Frankly i do not know as I have no noticable sounds from the line on my ss, let alone enough blowby with 1500 miles for squat, and shouldnt have for at least 70k..........The pcv system on cars is in the day a large ball bearing that when positive pressure dictated by building up enough allowed the ball to move up in the "pcv" valve venting the pressure to recirculate the gas to the carb..........Many racers would just use a vent cap with a oil screen it it and vent any pressure to outside air as any gain is really negligible to the gas mileage..........And thats your history of the pcv that the catch can may catch some oil blowby from.....Only when the cylinder heads valve seals have leaked enough pressure to build it up enough to in the old days push a ball bearing up.........and then only from one side of the top of the valve covers..........Where the cpv is now on the ss is just a link too both sides of of the cylinder heads probably as i have not torn down one of these engines to see the internals, your hissing is most likely something else...........leaking somewhere close by.......or venting? stab any hose nearby? Catch a shelby fan under the car from a slow stang? Jelous ricer fan?
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush
 
Bodih's Avatar
 
Drives: it like I stoles it...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,044
Is it possible you loosened the intake tube while installing the can? Do you have a cold air intake, or stock intake? Most often, the sucking sound comes from there.
__________________


My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
111wfb
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Det
Posts: 25
What's a catch can?
111wfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Calikenn
 
Calikenn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111wfb View Post
What's a catch can?
Happy reading! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109416
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
heRS


 
heRS's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,036
Did you tighten your pet**** after you drained the catch can? I believe they are backward to the standard "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty" rule. I don't know if that could cause a hissing noise. Start your engine and hold your thumb over the end of the drain tube, it should "suck". If it's not sucking, it's good.

edit.. really? can't say petc-o-c-k? I don't know what else to call it besides drainy-thingy.
__________________
Tori
click the sig pic to view my build thread


heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
your hissing is most likely something else...........leaking somewhere close by.......or venting? stab any hose nearby? Catch a shelby fan under the car from a slow stang? Jelous ricer fan?[/QUOTE]

Going to double check make sure didn't nick anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Is it possible you loosened the intake tube while installing the can? Do you have a cold air intake, or stock intake? Most often, the sucking sound comes from there.
stock did not touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111wfb View Post
What's a catch can?
happy reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Did you tighten your pet**** after you drained the catch can? I believe they are backward to the standard "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty" rule. I don't know if that could cause a hissing noise. Start your engine and hold your thumb over the end of the drain tube, it should "suck". If it's not sucking, it's good. Elite can no drain tube...

edit.. really? can't say petc-o-c-k? I don't know what else to call it besides drainy-thingy.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
I know it's working properly because it is catching oil and none is visible anywhere else .

I am thinking it the tubing/ hose since not as rigid causes turbulence therefore I hear what can be described as a vacuum leak sound after warmup.
Pic show of oil caught thus far
Attached Images
 
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 5,863
I have an RX CC so I'm not familiar with yours but, I think we're talking really low pressure here. There are several other hoses/tubes conected to your engine - have you checked to see that you didn't crack some other fitting or loosen a hose while installing the CC?
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,081
Most likely your just hearing the flow through the lines. If you had a vacuum leak a CEL will trip.

Looks like it is doing its job. W/the Elite, make sure the line from the valve cover is to the top fitting, outlet to the IM the side.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Calikenn
 
Calikenn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
Installed elite catch can yesterday on LFX. I followed the recommended procedures check all fitting afterwards drove car several hundred miles checked and small amount of oil was present in bottom of can. After warm up I now notice a audiable hissing sound sounds like vacuum leak.


Rechecked connections ( yes i used teflon tape) and I can not find any leak. Is this normal air turbulence sound for the soft rubber line now in place of my cut oem hard smaller I.D pcv hose?

To eliminate this will I need to buy oem pcv hose/line and put as much of that inline as possible or is there another solution.

If so what's part number? thanks
Hey Chevyman...can you plz post some pics of the mounting of the can in your engine bay? Thanks in advance!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Hey Chevyman...can you plz post some pics of the mounting of the can in your engine bay? Thanks in advance!
Yep
Attached Images
 
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Most likely your just hearing the flow through the lines. If you had a vacuum leak a CEL will trip.

Looks like it is doing its job. W/the Elite, make sure the line from the valve cover is to the top fitting, outlet to the IM the side.

That's what I think there is lots of flow.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I have an RX CC so I'm not familiar with yours but, I think we're talking really low pressure here. There are several other hoses/tubes conected to your engine - have you checked to see that you didn't crack some other fitting or loosen a hose while installing the CC?

Yep checked and checked again. It audible sound coming from new rubber hose.

Maybe someone with an elite on lfx can chime in and tell me after warm up do they hear this sound TOO.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Hey Chevyman...can you plz post some pics of the mounting of the can in your engine bay? Thanks in advance!
Yep2
Attached Images
 
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
Calikenn
 
Calikenn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 616
That looks great Chevy man....thanks again. For posting! Enjoy.
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,081
Sound is normal as long as you verified no vacuum leaks. Can should never be under pressure, only vacuum.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
jameslk55

 
jameslk55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,167
The top and side fittings, did you tighten them as much as you could?
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
The top and side fittings, did you tighten them as much as you could?
Yep as much as possible did not want to wring it off. It's not leaking just loud as hell.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,057
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Odd, I know I have a V8 but I have no hissing sound at all.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder
 
christianchevell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,196
I have no hissing and no oil because my vave seals and pistons rings are seated well and should be for a long time................many people on here have shown so much oil I would be worried about their cars at such low miles that they have they have not had things sealed as tight as they should be....I know i used to build my own engines, and build my own hot rods..........The v-8 pcv is right by the throttle body and the return line also, you nave so much noise probably because the line on your v-6 goes right up to the middle of the cylinder banks to the intake plenum and somehow to a side of the cylinder heads?
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
jameslk55

 
jameslk55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
Yep as much as possible did not want to wring it off. It's not leaking just loud as hell.
What do you mean wring it off? It would only fall off if it's loosened by turning it to the left all the way. I turned it to the right until it was tight and where I wanted it to be pointing. If either fitting is easily adjusted by hand, I would tighten them with a tool. That's just my guess. Other than that, try connecting the hose back to the stock PCV location and bypass the catch can. See if there's any difference in sound.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
Chevyman2
 
Chevyman2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7(awaiting delivery)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 386
[QUOTE=jameslk350;6240135]What do you mean wring it off?


WRING OFF AKA TO TORQUE (tighten) to point which breaks or strips threads.
Yes I tightened with wrench.


Thanks ...I'm almost certain at this point the sound is from the turbulence of flow moving through the soft rubber hose. The oem was rigid design and its I.D. was smaller.

Few different folks sent me pm's describing this very sound in thier hoses after they installed catch can themselves so apparently this is normal.

Keep in mind it is not heard on startup only after couple minutes running then its audible vacuum leak sound.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
jameslk55

 
jameslk55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
WRING OFF AKA TO TORQUE (tighten) to point which breaks or strips threads.
Yes I tightened with wrench.


Thanks ...I'm almost certain at this point the sound is from the turbulence of flow moving through the soft rubber hose. The oem was rigid design and its I.D. was smaller.

Few different folks sent me pm's describing this very sound in thier hoses after they installed catch can themselves so apparently this is normal.

Keep in mind it is not heard on startup only after couple minutes running then its audible vacuum leak sound.
I actually switched the hoses out for transmission hoses for my installation. They're a bit more rigid.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.