Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dynomax
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
Chevyman2

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2 LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
I actually switched the hoses out for transmission hoses for my installation. They're a bit more rigid.
Ok I keep that in mind.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #27
Rob21sf
Don't fear the Reaper!

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LLT
same here

Did you figure out the cause of the hissing sound? My LS is experiencing the same thing right now. No visible leaks, catch can collecting oil as it should be doing, just don't know why the noise?

To all the Pro's out there, can my recent addition of Ice-olator, ported TB, and plenum spacer be contributing factor in the hissing noise. Meaning with all the extra air the car is now pulling in cause this?
MRT 2.0 Axle-back / DT Shorties / Roto-Fab CAI / Roto-Fab ZL1 resevoir / VMax ported TB / Elite CC / Elite brace / Pfadt Stage 2 suspension pkg. / Heritage grill / ZL1 rockers / GM lip spoiler/ HAVOC rear diffuser / COPO style hood / Hotchkis hood pins / HURST ST shifter, EMBLEMPros custom badges.
Rob21sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob21sf View Post
Did you figure out the cause of the hissing sound? My LS is experiencing the same thing right now. No visible leaks, catch can collecting oil as it should be doing, just don't know why the noise?

To all the Pro's out there, can my recent addition of Ice-olator, ported TB, and plenum spacer be contributing factor in the hissing noise. Meaning with all the extra air the car is now pulling in cause this?
You still planning to come by tonight?

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #29
Rob21sf
Don't fear the Reaper!

I think I figured it out!

Well, since my Elite CC was also making this noise on my LLT, I decided to take the fittings off and put new telflon tape on it just to be sure no leak. As I removed the top fitting, I looked inside and noticed in the filter chamber they use some sort of "Scotchbrite" looking material on top of the filter element, that's when I realized that was the cause of the "hissing" noise!
If you take a piece of paper and blow on the edge you hear that sound, now multiply that a couple of times and you get the "hissing" noise. I trully believe the rush of air into that chamber creates that effect. Also, the sound might be more pronounced if you have Ice-olator, plenum spacer, or Ported TB installed.
MRT 2.0 Axle-back / DT Shorties / Roto-Fab CAI / Roto-Fab ZL1 resevoir / VMax ported TB / Elite CC / Elite brace / Pfadt Stage 2 suspension pkg. / Heritage grill / ZL1 rockers / GM lip spoiler/ HAVOC rear diffuser / COPO style hood / Hotchkis hood pins / HURST ST shifter, EMBLEMPros custom badges.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #30
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
This is probably not an issue.....a hiss in most cans is as described above is normal, but yes, stiff wall hoses are reccomended so there is chance of collapsing under vacuum. There should be no pressure in any can. Also, if you have a vacuum leak this will usually trip a CEL for a lean conditon, so if that is not happening I would not be very concerned.

One last thing to keep in mind is the serpentine belt hisses (the more miles, the louder) and the brake/vacuum booster pump is right where most cans are mounted so that makes a hiss as well.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
sternfan69

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS M6
I hear this sound as well just after installing ported throttle body and catch an.
sternfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #32
Rob21sf
Don't fear the Reaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternfan69 View Post
I hear this sound as well just after installing ported throttle body and catch an.
Nothing to worry about as long as you did the install correctly.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Always use a stiff wall hose like trans cooler hose or hydraulic rated. Fuel line becomes to sift and collapses under vacuum. And all cans will have noise from the flow through them.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
wtb

Drives: 2013 1LT Blue Ray Met
Elite catch can mod

This is how I installed my Elite can. I first added a drain port in the bottom to make it easier to check for any drip, and the used ss fitting and tubing to route beneath engine cover.
Attached Images

wtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #35
2013BlackLS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I was just about to order one of these when I found this thread.. It appears this is nothing to be worried about, but is the sound so loud you year it inside? If windows down is there a pronounced "hissing" sound as described??
2013BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 LFX A6
All I can say is remember to check the PCV connection on top of the intake. I moved my car during installation (when I dropped the lock washer) and the car sounded like crap with it not locked in place

2003 silver streak mica MR2 Spyder, 6-SMT, AEM, TM Magnaflow duals, Davids style bars, CHE header, body kit that required a lot of hand work
NOW GARAGED
1993 flash red t-top MR2..way too many mods
NOW GARAGED
2013..Elite catch can, Blastin' Bob's fat pipes, CAI, GM front, Razzi sides, Stillen rear, T-REX grill, stripes, paint, LEDs,
2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
2013BlackLS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Is the tubing included with the catch can??
2013BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #38
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
Yes, everything needed to install it will be included.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, ZL1 Style Front Splitter, Barton Short Throw
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
Yes they are. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Are all Elite cans supposed to have this little drain whole on the bottom? My Black Elite can does not have it and i recently just got it a couple months ago.

Here is a picture showing what I'm talking about.

Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Are all Elite cans supposed to have this little drain whole on the bottom? My Black Elite can does not have it and i recently just got it a couple months ago.

No, the OP said he made the hole to make it easier to drain..

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, ZL1 Style Front Splitter, Barton Short Throw
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #42
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post

No, that was added on by the person that bought it. Not really sure why though. I prefer to unscrew the can and dump it.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #43
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
No, the OP said he made the hole to make it easier to drain..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
No, that was added on by the person that bought it. Not really sure why though. I prefer to unscrew the can and dump it.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Thanks for pointing that out. It would help if I had completely read his post
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #44
wtb

Drives: 2013 1LT Blue Ray Met
I got my Elite can from JDP, and think it is an excellent product. But I added the drain port and a small valve to check for drip and drain between oil changes. It seems that during temperature changes with seasons, condensation accumulates along with oil and I like to keep this drained. I only unscrew can at oil change to clean.

As a side note, I can hear absolutely No hissing sound with my can installation.
wtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #45
pmandeep

Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
Are any other LFX users having this noise issue? I will be getting mine soon, and if that noise is still an issue then in that case I was wondering what if I get two spare OEM PCV Hose and then cut them off at the very end near the connection port (alternate ofcourse) and slide them directly onto the Catch Can, and completely avoiding the usage of included hoses???

Last edited by pmandeep; 06-01-2013 at 08:57 PM.
pmandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #46
Chevyman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandeep View Post
Are any other LFX users having this noise issue? I will be getting mine soon, and if that noise is still an issue then in that case I was wondering what if I get two spare OEM PCV Hose and then cut them off at the very end near the connection port (alternate ofcourse) and slide them directly onto the Catch Can, and completely avoiding the usage of included hoses???
If I had it to do over again I would cut as little of the OEM hard plastic line as possible. I would Do something simlar to what you are speaking of .. using the rubber hose to go over the barbs only. The elite catch can came with fuel grade rubber hose I switched mine out to transmission rubber hose no difference but it should hold up better in long run.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #47
dennisbernal91z

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Fuel grade hose should really be just fine for what we are using it for in this application. I am another customer that hears no noise at all. I cut just about all the hard plastic tube. I think the can is great! Install instructions could have made it more clear that you need to hack thru the hard plastic hose wherever. Saying to cut this hose at X length from reach fitting would have been more clear
dennisbernal91z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #48
ryanyoung1768

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
No hissing from mine 2000 miles later, and I actually went out and started it up with the engine cover off specifically to listen. Nothing at all - and there's a little bit of gunk in the bottom of the can that makes me happy I installed it!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #49
Chevyman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanyoung1768 View Post
No hissing from mine 2000 miles later, and I actually went out and started it up with the engine cover off specifically to listen. Nothing at all - and there's a little bit of gunk in the bottom of the can that makes me happy I installed it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisbernal91z View Post
Fuel grade hose should really be just fine for what we are using it for in this application. I am another customer that hears no noise at all. I cut just about all the hard plastic tube. I think the can is great! Install instructions could have made it more clear that you need to hack thru the hard plastic hose wherever. Saying to cut this hose at X length from reach fitting would have been more clear
How long y'all wait before installing the elite catch can, miles on camaro?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #50
pmandeep

Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
How long y'all wait before installing the elite catch can, miles on camaro?
I have mine coming in on this Thursday, and I got my Camaro just a little over a week ago and has 274miles on it right now. So mine is going practically while my car is still Brand New.

Last edited by pmandeep; 06-01-2013 at 09:06 PM.
pmandeep is offline   Reply With Quote