Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
scotthalas

Drives: 2012 camaro 1SS
Installing SOLO Cats in garage tomorrow and need help on O2 sensors

Ok...so tomorrow its going to be 60 degrees and sunny...I have all day to install these cats on my LS3. I just put on a Borla Cat back on my own so I figure if I take my time I should be ok putting on the SOLOs.....looks pretty straight forward directions wise......the only thing I am concerned about is un plugging the O2 sensors and the best way to do this.....the directions basically say "be Patient"...any tips would be helpfull...not much room to work in there........how they unplug, the best position to do this etc.......and ANY other tricks or tips that you all can advise me on to do this job.....I will have the proper tools and be able to get the car on stands safely with just enough room to work from under the car as well....any and all help is much appreciated! Looking forward to firing it up after its done.......car has 4k on it so I am hoping everything unbolts fairly easily. What can you guys tell me?
scotthalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
When you say "unplug" the 02 sensors, are you referring to the upstream or downstream ones? As far as that goes, all you need to do is get a good grip on the harness, and pull the green tab that holds the connections together. As far as removing the 02 sensors themselves, MAKE SURE you use some PB Blaster/liquid wrench, and try to heat the 02 sensors up as hot as possible. If you don't have a torch, just let the car run and get them hot. Some people will say that's not necessary, but if you don't you run a higher risk of stripping the threads on the bung or the sensor itself.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
LS3 SS

Also, before you even get started, spray all the 02 sensors with some pb blaster and let it soak; you will be thankful you did.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
What he said. Many people say to let the exhaust/02 sensors get hot so that they come out easier.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion custom grind, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
scotthalas

Thanks guys...I was refering to the upstream before I unscrew them out of the stock Cat........are those green plastic clips easy to remove? You just pull them out?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthalas View Post
Thanks guys...I was refering to the upstream before I unscrew them out of the stock Cat........are those green plastic clips easy to remove? You just pull them out?
Yes you just pull them out. just be careful not to pull on the harness super hard.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"

Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Definitely call around to dealers to have a back up plan for the o2 sensor. Many threads on here about o2 sensors being cross threaded from the factory. I fell victim to one of theses, no matter what I did it wouldn't come out. Just be careful and go slow, if one is cross threaded not much you can do.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
shouldntbe to bad mine came out very easy and use a torch. makes it alot easier
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Stainless threads gall. It happens when they are forced cold and dry.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
scotthalas

Well......I am done.....took my time and it took about two hours alone by myself. Everything went perfect...I had a torch so my worst fears were nothing....bolted right up...and.....HOLY MOTHER OF G*D........fired it up in the garage and it about gave me a heart atak.......Solo's with Borla Atak cat back is quite loud and fairly aggressive..... Backed it out of the driveway, went for a spin and it is a totally different sounding car.....very slight drone at 1800rpm on the freeway but managable....woke it up for sure....great mod for 600.00.......I think my neighbors are not gonna like me anymore.......thanks for all the tips......next is a ported throttle body then I am telling myself Im done for a while.......