Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #101
LeanPocket
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 628
Am I just lucky that my l99 pump still functions correctly?
__________________
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #102
2SSCAMARO
 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 748
I would say forum sponsors like BeckyD at Rodgers Chevrolet who should have access to failure stats (at minimum from her dealership) could shed some light as to whether or not you are lucky. Also there are several top shops that are forum sponsors who could share their "first hand" experience of stock pump failures. They could state their opinions on whether or not the pump failures were solely because of, as little88 claims are "junk" or whether there were extenuating circumstances such as improper reinstallation, inadequate preventative maintenance, abuse etc. I, for one, would be interested in seeing a few posts from the above mentioned members regarding their opinions. It is only fair to disclose my 2010 L99, built in July of 2009, is heavily modded, blown, cammed, and LS3 converted. It still uses the original L99 oil pump. PSI at startup is 65, fully warmed up at cruise is 45, idle @650-700 never less than 30, WOT 65. Therefore at this point, I am not convinced the pumps are junk.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #103
POWERFREAK
I.AM.
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post
Am I just lucky that my l99 pump still functions correctly?
No, don't worry about it.
__________________
2010 R6P-2SS/RS/LS3 - IBM w/ silver rally stripes / UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

NY5thgen.com
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #104
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post
I guess for comparison purposes, what weight and brand oil were you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
I believe if all the facts were known, modded vehicles are more than likely experiencing failure rates at a much higher level than stock vehicles, that's why the dealers see less failures than the forums see. Also there are practices that could contribute to the seized relief valves such as: Deciding to use 10W40, 20W50 oils, aftermarket oil filters that either increase or reduce the system oil pressure vs the PF48. Driving habits such as a lot of short runs that do not allow the oil temp to get up to and maintain 225* long enough to cook off and remove contaminates from the oil. The frequency of oil changes. Incorrectly altering and effectively reducing the PVC system's ability to remove contaminates from the oil. Jacked tunes that are excessively rich and improper fan settings. Not allowing for proper warm up of oil temp before doing spirited driving. I'm fairly confident that if GM's warranty history revealed a unacceptable monetary loss on the oil pumps, they could have melling spec pumps built for less than melling but even if there were an additional small cost, at GM's scale, it would be a rounding error in the cost of a Camaro.


It seems that almost all the failures reported are for the LS3 not the L99 but the two pumps don't really seem that much different if at all, if so, it may just be different preasures or bleed off pressure.

I think the reason why some dealers don't see a lot of failures is because a good many people modify or tune their cars and don't waste their time even taking them to the dealer.

In my case the failure was due to the relief valve as with the LS3's that have been reported. I use Mobil 1, and an AC oil filter so that variable can be eliminated. The pump has never been removed, loosened or messed with in any way. I change my oil and filter regularily and well before the DIC indicates it is necessary. I always warm up my car but do drive quite agressively at times both city and highway driving so most of the reasons for it to fail are not because of poor maintenance or improper useage. Nothing has ever failed such as timing chain/tensioner, trunions or anything else that would cause debris other than normal wear to cause it.



NOW FOR THE UPDATE!!

Got it back together today, started up and the top end quited down fairly quickly WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE LIFTER. I tried a few start/stop cycles but it did not free up. I pulled the valve cover and rocker and can see no obvious damage, tomorrow I am going to use a camera to see if the lifter looks in tact, if so I will let it run a bit and see if I get lucky but at this point It looks like the top is coming off.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #105
2SSCAMARO
 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
It seems that almost all the failures reported are for the LS3 not the L99 but the two pumps don't really seem that much different if at all, if so, it may just be different preasures or bleed off pressure.

I think the reason why some dealers don't see a lot of failures is because a good many people modify or tune their cars and don't waste their time even taking them to the dealer.

In my case the failure was due to the relief valve as with the LS3's that have been reported. I use Mobil 1, and an AC oil filter so that variable can be eliminated. The pump has never been removed, loosened or messed with in any way. I change my oil and filter regularily and well before the DIC indicates it is necessary. I always warm up my car but do drive quite agressively at times both city and highway driving so most of the reasons for it to fail are not because of poor maintenance or improper useage. Nothing has ever failed such as timing chain/tensioner, trunions or anything else that would cause debris other than normal wear to cause it.



NOW FOR THE UPDATE!!

Got it back together today, started up and the top end quited down fairly quickly WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE LIFTER. I tried a few start/stop cycles but it did not free up. I pulled the valve cover and rocker and can see no obvious damage, tomorrow I am going to use a camera to see if the lifter looks in tact, if so I will let it run a bit and see if I get lucky but at this point It looks like the top is coming off.
It certainly does not sound like your driving habits or preventative maintenance practices have contributed anything towards the pump failure. Did you happen to gage the failed pump for centering before you removed it? Because if you found that it was not centered correctly and you did not remove it and replace it previously when you did the cam, it would be an indication that it was not installed properly at the engine assembly plant.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #106
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
It certainly does not sound like your driving habits or preventative maintenance practices have contributed anything towards the pump failure. Did you happen to gage the failed pump for centering before you removed it? Because if you found that it was not centered correctly and you did not remove it and replace it previously when you did the cam, it would be an indication that it was not installed properly at the engine assembly plant.

I did not check to see if it was properly centered were as the failure was not directly related to the gears but to the relief valve. I do not think there was an issue with the installation as if it was not properly centered I believe it would be evident by scuffing on one side of the housing, the sides of the housing seem to be in pretty good shape.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #107
2SSCAMARO
 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 748
One other possibility is very small foreign matter getting into the system upstream from the filter during cam and heads work. With the very tight clearances in the relief valve cylinder, very small particles that would lead to galling and scuffing could cause damage to the valve and walls as they pass through the valve clearances during cycling. Once the valve and walls have been scuffed, continuing deterioration could occur merely from the cycling of the valve without contamination until the point seizing occurs.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #108
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
One other possibility is very small foreign matter getting into the system upstream from the filter during cam and heads work. With the very tight clearances in the relief valve cylinder, very small particles that would lead to galling and scuffing could cause damage to the valve and walls as they pass through the valve clearances during cycling. Once the valve and walls have been scuffed, continuing deterioration could occur merely from the cycling of the valve without contamination until the point seizing occurs.
In theory, it is possible but as mentioned the cam change was done 40,000 miles ago, since that time there have been many oil/filter changes. There have been many failures reported on stock motors where this would not hold true. It almost appears that you are looking for an excuse as to why the pump failed but it is apparent that there is a problem with either the pumps design or, as I believe, the problem may be due to the steel on aluminum parts. There is a lot of scuffing on the housing and gears most likely caused by some sort of debris but I believe the debris is not foreign to the motor but a result of the wear charecteristics of steel on aluminum.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #109
POS Dakota
 
POS Dakota's Avatar
 
Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
One other possibility is very small foreign matter getting into the system upstream from the filter during cam and heads work. With the very tight clearances in the relief valve cylinder, very small particles that would lead to galling and scuffing could cause damage to the valve and walls as they pass through the valve clearances during cycling. Once the valve and walls have been scuffed, continuing deterioration could occur merely from the cycling of the valve without contamination until the point seizing occurs.
It's not a possibility. It's a fact!
But it will happen to an engine that's never been opened if you drive around with black oil in it all the time.

The filter only filters for so long....then it stops.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #110
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Dakota View Post
It's not a possibility. It's a fact!
But it will happen to an engine that's never been opened if you drive around with black oil in it all the time.

The filter only filters for so long....then it stops.

Oil does get contaminated due to normal wear but there have been many failures on vehicles that are maticulously maintained and on vehicles with minimal mileage in comparison to mine. All the above mentioned senarios are possible but where as there are so many failures, as well as a tsb on them and the fact that Melling has also identified a problem and has taken steps via different materials, hardcoating etc. to prevent it, many of the problems, perhaps not all, cannot be prevented by normal maintenance. Another interesting fact is that many change the oem pump when doing cam changes, timing chain/tensioner changes. These motors are subject to the same possibilities of poor maintenance,contamination etc. yet we haven't seen any Melling failures that I'm aware of.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #111
2SSCAMARO
 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
In theory, it is possible but as mentioned the cam change was done 40,000 miles ago, since that time there have been many oil/filter changes. There have been many failures reported on stock motors where this would not hold true. It almost appears that you are looking for an excuse as to why the pump failed but it is apparent that there is a problem with either the pumps design or, as I believe, the problem may be due to the steel on aluminum parts. There is a lot of scuffing on the housing and gears most likely caused by some sort of debris but I believe the debris is not foreign to the motor but a result of the wear charecteristics of steel on aluminum.
I am not looking for an excuse. I am looking for rational. When one of the above posters has a pump that has already done 120,000 + miles, the intrinsic design flaw theory looses some credibility.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #112
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
I am not looking for an excuse. I am looking for rational. When one of the above posters has a pump that has already done 120,000 + miles, the intrinsic design flaw theory looses some credibility.

I, untill a couple of days ago, used to say that I have almost 70,000 miles with no problems and then mine went. There are many tsb's and recalls on vehicles, it doesn't mean everyone of them will fail, it means there is a potential problem and I believe it is true with the oil pumps on these motors. It may be the pump's design, it may be the materials or it may be a combination of both but there are too many failures to overlook.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #113
2SSCAMARO
 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 748
GM warranties it's junk pumps for 3 years correct? What is the warranty on the superior melling pump? If the melling engineers have everything figured out and redesigned the pump, they should feel comfortable giving a better warranty than GM, especially seeing that melling will never be covering any labor costs. What is the melling pump warranty?
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #114
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
GM warranties it's junk pumps for 3 years correct? What is the warranty on the superior melling pump? If the melling engineers have everything figured out and redesigned the pump, they should feel comfortable giving a better warranty than GM, especially seeing that melling will never be covering any labor costs. What is the melling pump warranty?
I'm not sure of their warranty and I'm not saying the pump is superior. I am saying that the Melling pump has improvements to some of the potential problems the oem pump has. Melling's pump still has to fit and function within the design GM came up with. Also the Melling pump, being an aftermarket replacement, is also subject to non-professional installations.

I'm curious, are you thinking there is no problem with the pumps themselves and that all the failures are due to poor maintenance, shoddy installation of various components or customer abuse?
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #115
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
GM warranties it's junk pumps for 3 years correct? What is the warranty on the superior melling pump? If the melling engineers have everything figured out and redesigned the pump, they should feel comfortable giving a better warranty than GM, especially seeing that melling will never be covering any labor costs. What is the melling pump warranty?
Lol your in the wrong hobby if your looking for rational. I've been doing this for a long time. To end your rational search you don't have to get a melling keep your warranties GM pump and stop steering the OP's thread into a debate. Yes the melling is superior that's a FACT, no not all GM pumps will fail but their record has been documented since 1997 since the Ls1 and its basically the same damn motor with bigger bores ALL of the LsX's. The OP knows what he's doing, you don't come across like you do.
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #116
StephenS_84
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Lol your in the wrong hobby if your looking for rational. I've been doing this for a long time. To end your rational search you don't have to get a melling keep your warranties GM pump and stop steering the OP's thread into a debate. Yes the melling is superior that's a FACT, no not all GM pumps will fail but their record has been documented since 1997 since the Ls1 and its basically the same damn motor with bigger bores ALL of the LsX's. The OP knows what he's doing, you don't come across like you do.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #117
POS Dakota
 
POS Dakota's Avatar
 
Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
I am not looking for an excuse. I am looking for rational. When one of the above posters has a pump that has already done 120,000 + miles, the intrinsic design flaw theory looses some credibility.
There are a million chrysler k cars still running and driving around...it doesnt detract from the fact they are complete pieces of cheap poorly engineered shit.

All it means is that there are a million buffoons who are willing to change a head gasket every 6 months.

Lets get back to to the much much higher count of people with oil pump problems, vs the one random slick50 golden poster child.

I mean, is the one person born with a 3rd nipple a super hero, or a freak?

There have been more problems with oil pumps alone in my short time on this board alone to know there is a quality issue, and possibly a bunch of other issues compounding it like mentioned earlier.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #118
LeanPocket
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 628
For scientific purposes.. Someone should open up another oil pump and see if there is any scarring similar to the OP's oil pump. Specifically one that hasn't been taken off and put back on. I'd like to volunteer mine when I proceed with the heads/cam swap later this year.
__________________
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #119
gnturboray
 
gnturboray's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mckinney, Texas
Posts: 556
When my LS3 pump went out I had several excellent tuner shops in my area tell me to go to the GM high volume pump over the Melling. I'm sure it was personal preference but I went with the new GM pump. No issues.
__________________
750 HP!!!
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #120
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
When my LS3 pump went out I had several excellent tuner shops in my area tell me to go to the GM high volume pump over the Melling. I'm sure it was personal preference but I went with the new GM pump. No issues.
What GM high volume pump is that? You got a part number? Thanks
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #121
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Had a chance to take a look at the lifter, it seems to be intact so i'm going to put the valve cover back on and let it run for a while, perhaps I'll get lucky and it will pump up.
Attached Images
 
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #122
POS Dakota
 
POS Dakota's Avatar
 
Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 371
Awesome. Not many people see the incredible value of having one of those.
I bought one on ebay used a few years back and it's invaluable.

Good man!

One of my biggest ls engine bitches is that you have to pull the heads to remove lifters. That thought frustrates the hell out of me.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #123
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Dakota View Post
Awesome. Not many people see the incredible value of having one of those.
I bought one on ebay used a few years back and it's invaluable.

Good man!

One of my biggest ls engine bitches is that you have to pull the heads to remove lifters. That thought frustrates the hell out of me.

I've been messing with it all morning and it seems it's not going to pump up, i just started pulling it apart. The good ol days you would pop the intake and be all set, pulling a head for one lifter really sucks but it's the way it is i guess.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #124
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,325
CFD, can you push down on the lifter with the pushrod? Is it easy or is it pretty stiff?

Cool pics man!! I'm with POS, those are handy!!!
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #125
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
CFD, can you push down on the lifter with the pushrod? Is it easy or is it pretty stiff?

Cool pics man!! I'm with POS, those are handy!!!

I took a length of steel rod and ground the end to the shape of the pushrod and tried depressing the lifter plunger but it is stacked solid in the lifter, it's not worth screwing with anymore, starting it more could result in more damage or the lifter coming appart so i'm gonna pull it appart and end the misery. lol
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.