Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #120
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
When my LS3 pump went out I had several excellent tuner shops in my area tell me to go to the GM high volume pump over the Melling. I'm sure it was personal preference but I went with the new GM pump. No issues.
What GM high volume pump is that? You got a part number? Thanks
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #121
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Had a chance to take a look at the lifter, it seems to be intact so i'm going to put the valve cover back on and let it run for a while, perhaps I'll get lucky and it will pump up.
Attached Images

CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #122
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Awesome. Not many people see the incredible value of having one of those.
I bought one on ebay used a few years back and it's invaluable.

Good man!

One of my biggest ls engine bitches is that you have to pull the heads to remove lifters. That thought frustrates the hell out of me.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #123
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Dakota View Post
Awesome. Not many people see the incredible value of having one of those.
I bought one on ebay used a few years back and it's invaluable.

Good man!

One of my biggest ls engine bitches is that you have to pull the heads to remove lifters. That thought frustrates the hell out of me.

I've been messing with it all morning and it seems it's not going to pump up, i just started pulling it apart. The good ol days you would pop the intake and be all set, pulling a head for one lifter really sucks but it's the way it is i guess.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #124
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

CFD, can you push down on the lifter with the pushrod? Is it easy or is it pretty stiff?

Cool pics man!! I'm with POS, those are handy!!!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #125
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
CFD, can you push down on the lifter with the pushrod? Is it easy or is it pretty stiff?

Cool pics man!! I'm with POS, those are handy!!!

I took a length of steel rod and ground the end to the shape of the pushrod and tried depressing the lifter plunger but it is stacked solid in the lifter, it's not worth screwing with anymore, starting it more could result in more damage or the lifter coming appart so i'm gonna pull it appart and end the misery. lol
Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #126
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

That's the best route to take, I'd go that way too bud.

Brian Tooley makes some badazz lifters
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...r-lifters.html
Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #127
CFD

Quote:
That's the best route to take, I'd go that way too bud.

Brian Tooley makes some badazz lifters
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...r-lifters.html

Fortunately these things come appart fairly quickly, I'm down to the headers and then I can pop the head. I'm just going to replace the one lifter if i don't see anything else wrong and get this out of my shop.I've got too many bikes to work on to spend any more time on this than necessary.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #128
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
...i'm getting off this thread before the Oil Pump Grimlin follows ME home...lol!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #129
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
...i'm getting off this thread before the Oil Pump Grimlin follows ME home...lol!

I think you're safe for a few days, he's had his chuckles with me, that should satisfy him for a while.

I'm going to grab a coffee while this thing cools down a bit more. I'm ready to pop the head. I hope I don't find any surprises. lol.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #130
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Just like that, I go outside bright and early this morning and fire up the SS to go to Dallas Cars and Coffee and NO OIL PRESSURE!! So I check the oil, and look for leaks,,,,all ok. Buddy comes by and we do the look in the oil fill tube for oil movement and nothing! The POS oil pump checked out.......Long story short, tow truck to the house and straight to the shop!
Quote:
Really?! I picked up my GM HO pump this afternoon for my replacement. I chose not to go with a Melling because I had two of them go out on me years ago; 1 on my 01 TA WS6 and 1 on my 96 Z28 LT1. Both were modded motors built with Mellings. There wont be a 3rd time.
Quote:
Lol your in the wrong hobby if your looking for rational. I've been doing this for a long time. To end your rational search you don't have to get a melling keep your warranties GM pump and stop steering the OP's thread into a debate. Yes the melling is superior that's a FACT, no not all GM pumps will fail but their record has been documented since 1997 since the Ls1 and its basically the same damn motor with bigger bores ALL of the LsX's. The OP knows what he's doing, you don't come across like you do.

Merely doing something for a long time is not synonymous with having the knowledge or ability to do something correctly. Many people are followers and simply do things the way someone else has shown them. You just may be correct though in saying the OP knows what he is doing.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #131
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
Merely doing something for a long time is not synonymous with having the knowledge or ability to do something correctly. Many people are followers and simply do things the way someone else has shown them. You just may be correct though in saying the OP knows what he is doing.

Your wrong, I have no clue what I'm doing, I've just been making believe for the last 40+ years,
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #132
2SSCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I'm not sure of their warranty and I'm not saying the pump is superior. I am saying that the Melling pump has improvements to some of the potential problems the oem pump has. Melling's pump still has to fit and function within the design GM came up with. Also the Melling pump, being an aftermarket replacement, is also subject to non-professional installations.

I'm curious, are you thinking there is no problem with the pumps themselves and that all the failures are due to poor maintenance, shoddy installation of various components or customer abuse?
I think the overwhelming majority of the failures are in part being caused by the practices mentioned previously. I also believe the failure rate of the pumps for cars that meet warranty requirements are in line with other GM vehicle parts. Don't forget when the GM pump fails on a warranty eligible vehicle, they are on the hook for the entire engine if it pukes from the pump failure. I can't think of a potentially more costly part to fail than the oil pump when it takes the engine out also. Camaros that are run within GM specs and unmodified cannot be out of line with their other product lines or changes would have been made by now.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #133
2SSCAMARO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Your wrong, I have no clue what I'm doing, I've just been making believe for the last 40+ years,

CFD, unless I'm wrong again and I apologize, you are not the OP!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #134
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Your absolutely right why argue with you, I'm clueless just been doing this a good 16yrs. With LsX's only. Ill tell my entourage to dispurse sorry for posing as a leader. Soooo what experience do you have wrenching?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #135
2SSCAMARO

I have absolutely no experience whatsoever. I have a credit card and Ted Jannetty for a gumba!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #136
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

^^^^Figures.

One of Lord Jannety's disciples. Lol nuff said. Then you are just someone who just pays for it, when others here are building their rides and MANY are stepping up to the task and its spreading!

Go HOME 2SsCamaro YOUR DRUNK!!