Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
It's not him. It's the craptastic car. Mine did it too. It's because of huge tolerances in all the different parts of the drivetrain and the flywheel being made cheaper than a McDonald's happy meal toy. They aren't supposed to turn more than 15 degrees yet a brand new one can turn almost 180 degrees. I saw it with 2 of them out of the box. The noise is the flywheel flopping back and forth. Mine was lemon lawed over the noise and the garbage transmission with huge tolerances in it. It's a noise a dealer should try and repair not a noise the driver learns to drive around. Only an idiot would think that. It's unreasonable to think a brand new car needs a completely different driving style. How come ONLY a 5th gen v6 m6 makes this noise out of all the cars made and driven every day????
My father in-law's 07 Shelby GT does it. From what I've read, LOTS of other cars do it too. I can't say for sure, but it doesn't feel like the flywheel flopping back and forth. It feels like IRS drivetrain slack. You can get the car bucking if you don't put a stop to it.
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
It's not him. It's the craptastic car. Mine did it too. It's because of huge tolerances in all the different parts of the drivetrain and the flywheel being made cheaper than a McDonald's happy meal toy. They aren't supposed to turn more than 15 degrees yet a brand new one can turn almost 180 degrees. I saw it with 2 of them out of the box. The noise is the flywheel flopping back and forth. Mine was lemon lawed over the noise and the garbage transmission with huge tolerances in it. It's a noise a dealer should try and repair not a noise the driver learns to drive around. Only an idiot would think that. It's unreasonable to think a brand new car needs a completely different driving style. How come ONLY a 5th gen v6 m6 makes this noise out of all the cars made and driven every day????
I respectfully disagree completely.

You're jumping to invalid conclusions about both the quality of this car, and the manufacturing of other manual transmission cars. One situation does not represent the other 500,000 5th gen Camaros out there...

The little clicking you can hear if you're not smooth enough in 1st gear is normal as normal gets.

UNLESS....we're talking about two different noises. It sounds like you had a bigger issue - and I don't think the focus of this thread this is the same thing.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
Sblann
 
Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 111
I can make mine happen in any gear and its not just a little click like the other cars I drove its a loud clunk. It just makes it be an unpleasant ride, so I rather not drive it. But if its fine than somebody can buy it and maybe it won't annoy them. Any reasonable offers I would listen to
Sblann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
I can make mine happen in any gear and its not just a little click like the other cars I drove its a loud clunk. It just makes it be an unpleasant ride, so I rather not drive it. But if its fine than somebody can buy it and maybe it won't annoy them. Any reasonable offers I would listen to
And you've taken that to the dealer?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
I can make mine happen in any gear and its not just a little click like the other cars I drove its a loud clunk. It just makes it be an unpleasant ride, so I rather not drive it. But if its fine than somebody can buy it and maybe it won't annoy them. Any reasonable offers I would listen to
Are you describing bucking? Where you tap the gas and the drivetrain makes horrible noises and the car rocks front to rear fairly violently?
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
Sblann
 
Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 111
Ya taken to two dealers, the salesman drove car with me first time then we drove another one on the lot and he said he thought there was something wrong.
Sblann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
Ya taken to two dealers, the salesman drove car with me first time then we drove another one on the lot and he said he thought there was something wrong.
Well that's a start..it didn't seem like you were talking about the normal gear lash/drivetrain tolerances...did you bring it into service to have it looked at?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
Sblann
 
Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 111
I think its something more because i drove other ones and hear what the drive line slack is. If it is only drive line slack then basically my car has drive line slack on steroids. The service manager just said that if he wasn't going to replace transmission because I could get another one that might be louder and that's how there manufactured.
Sblann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
I think its something more because i drove other ones and hear what the drive line slack is. If it is only drive line slack then basically my car has drive line slack on steroids. The service manager just said that if he wasn't going to replace transmission because I could get another one that might be louder and that's how there manufactured.
That's not good enough....it's not necessarily the transmission alone...I would push. If he can say it's a problem, then he can get it replaced under warranty.

Also - if they don't want to help you - you can call Chevy customer service, or try another dealer. What you've described seems more than simple slack in the drivetrain, and you ought to get that checked out!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #35
Sblann
 
Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 111
Tried another dealer they just gave me a bulletin don't think they really cared much because i didnt buy from them ( that happens alot where i'm located) and chevy customer service told me that the techs and dealer decided that it was fine therefore they weren't going to do anything. I really think the service manager has a bug up his ass for me because I bought another car there two weeks before camaro and he didn't want to fix a chip in the paint that we pointed out before we took car off lot and sales guy said they would fix it after 14 day clean up. Well went back they cleaned car then service manager comes out and says chip in paint is an acceptable blemish (exact words) and that we can go over to service window and buy our own paint to fix it. Well that didn't go over to well, sales guy ended up buying paint for us, but i called owner to complain about situation. Then ever since then this guy won't do anything for us, my dual mode exhaust is off by an inch from one side to the other, he said he compared to other vehicles and that is was within the norm wouldn't even order a new pipe to try to straighten it. Then we get them to repaint side were chip was and after being repainted believe me or not the chip is still there but just not as bad. So I guess I should try and find a better dealer to deal with any suggestions for Northeast pa.
Sblann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,042
Wow. Those deealers suck. I'd be trying to wipe my feet on their name every chance i got.
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
Tried another dealer they just gave me a bulletin don't think they really cared much because i didnt buy from them ( that happens alot where i'm located) and chevy customer service told me that the techs and dealer decided that it was fine therefore they weren't going to do anything. I really think the service manager has a bug up his ass for me because I bought another car there two weeks before camaro and he didn't want to fix a chip in the paint that we pointed out before we took car off lot and sales guy said they would fix it after 14 day clean up. Well went back they cleaned car then service manager comes out and says chip in paint is an acceptable blemish (exact words) and that we can go over to service window and buy our own paint to fix it. Well that didn't go over to well, sales guy ended up buying paint for us, but i called owner to complain about situation. Then ever since then this guy won't do anything for us, my dual mode exhaust is off by an inch from one side to the other, he said he compared to other vehicles and that is was within the norm wouldn't even order a new pipe to try to straighten it. Then we get them to repaint side were chip was and after being repainted believe me or not the chip is still there but just not as bad. So I guess I should try and find a better dealer to deal with any suggestions for Northeast pa.
Sent you a PM....
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #38
Gordyd
 
Drives: 2013 2SS RS LS3, 05 BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
I think its something more because i drove other ones and hear what the drive line slack is. If it is only drive line slack then basically my car has drive line slack on steroids. The service manager just said that if he wasn't going to replace transmission because I could get another one that might be louder and that's how there manufactured.
I had 2002 BMW 330i m5 that didn't have clutch clunk. I also have an 05 M3 SMG with no clunking. Came back to GM for some classic American muscle. The clutch clunk is disappointing, but if GM's position is designed as is, I'll live with it and disengage clutch at low speeds. Downshifting to 2nd though is natural way to drive a manual.
Gordyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #39
Minge
 
Drives: 2013 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 269
I hate to bring back on old thread but I now have 800 miles on my camaro and I have to say the drive line slack noise is ridiculous. My 1970 Muncie m22 rock crusher tranny was quieter than my camaro. I say hog wash to it is how the car is driven. I am 50 and have have been rowing gears for 30 years and the noise the camaro makes is just plain embarrassing. While I may not be as good as an over the road trucker on how to drive a stick. I should not have to baby my car or have people look at me funny when my car makes a strange noise. Love my car but this is very disappointing. Had to vent, I feel better so flame away, I can take it.
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,017
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I really do not think having a two piece drive shaft helps either. That is just one more U-Joint causing slack.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
I hate to bring back on old thread but I now have 800 miles on my camaro and I have to say the drive line slack noise is ridiculous. My 1970 Muncie m22 rock crusher tranny was quieter than my camaro. I say hog wash to it is how the car is driven. I am 50 and have have been rowing gears for 30 years and the noise the camaro makes is just plain embarrassing. While I may not be as good as an over the road trucker on how to drive a stick. I should not have to baby my car or have people look at me funny when my car makes a strange noise. Love my car but this is very disappointing. Had to vent, I feel better so flame away, I can take it.
Have you had it into a dealer to check it? What you're describing doesn't sound completely normal....I hear a clickety-clack now and again...but nothing obnoxious or embarassing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I really do not think having a two piece drive shaft helps either. That is just one more U-Joint causing slack.
A fair point....but there's very little slack in that thing. Sadly I got to see it up close and personal on a bench...most of the noise, if not all, that we can hear is the gears....in the transmission, in the differential...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #42
Mechman108
 
Mechman108's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS M6, 2010 Lexus IS250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 104
The driver has to get used to driving the vehicle. For the first couple weeks my car made the same noise. However, it just doesn't happen anymore and to be quite honest, I am not sure exactly what I do to not make that clank noise... just got used to it.
Mechman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #43
JohnnyBfromPeoria

 
JohnnyBfromPeoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechman108 View Post
The driver has to get used to driving the vehicle. For the first couple weeks my car made the same noise. However, it just doesn't happen anymore and to be quite honest, I am not sure exactly what I do to not make that clank noise... just got used to it.
Same here.

John B.
__________________
12 LS M6, IPF S/C, ASA GT-5 wheels, VMax PTB
1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR
1987 Dodge Raider Turbo Project
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #44
Minge
 
Drives: 2013 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 269
This is my point the driver should have to adapt to the vehicles short comings. Have had BMW Audi vw and classic 70 muscle cars and never had anything remotely close to this. I have not had it into the dealer yet but I will bring it in but I from what I have read they are going to say this is normal. Blast to drive with this being the acception.
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #45
Camonster
 
Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 37
This is tough considering we could all be referencing entirely different "clunk" noises. Mine only happens when I'm shifting between 1st and 2nd, and occasionally between 2nd and 3rd. It doesn't seem to matter how gentle I am with the car, when it wants to make that dropping noise, it does. It usually only happens in the first few minutes I'm driving the car. It's a nasty clanking dropping sound when I push the clutch in. Does that sound consistent with what everyone else is experiencing?
Camonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #46
Minge
 
Drives: 2013 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camonster View Post
This is tough considering we could all be referencing entirely different "clunk" noises. Mine only happens when I'm shifting between 1st and 2nd, and occasionally between 2nd and 3rd. It doesn't seem to matter how gentle I am with the car, when it wants to make that dropping noise, it does. It usually only happens in the first few minutes I'm driving the car. It's a nasty clanking dropping sound when I push the clutch in. Does that sound consistent with what everyone else is experiencing?
Yep
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.