Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
RayYork
LordVader
 
RayYork's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 238
Sticking Brakes? Warping rotors?

Does anyone else's brakes stick after washing your car? If I wash my car then park if for the night, the next morning, my rear brakes are frozen. One quick release of the clutch and they pop loose. Anyone else experience this?

Also, but likely unrelated, I replaced my stock front Brembo's (rotors and pads) a while back and in short order (~5,000 miles) they were warped. The dealer replaced them with a warranty set and now that set is warped, also in about the same range of miles. My first set lasted ~60,000 miles without warping but now two sets in a row are failing very early on. Is there a break-in process that I missed? Any ideas?
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 (My daily driver)
www.facebook.com/racingyorks

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Mobyd
 
Mobyd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Everett Wa
Posts: 206
i dont know the answer but have a question..how do you notice that brakes are warped? do they make noises or you cant drive or somthing? i got stock brembo brakes and wonder how do i know if they are warped?
__________________
Mobyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Mobyd
 
Mobyd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Everett Wa
Posts: 206
BREMBO CALLS CAMARO "SUPER SPORTS CAR" ON ITS WEBSITE !! feel good thing
http://www.brembo.com/en/car/origina...Camaro-SS.aspx

"This Super sports car is equipped with 4-piston aluminium composite calipers and 355 and 365 millimetre front and rear discs. The car's efficiency has been enhanced by the use of lighter weight aluminium calipers and the design of the brake discs that improves the cooling and crack resistance of the braking surface"
__________________
Mobyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi
 
AdamEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,380
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Yep, mine stick every single time I wash it and let it sit overnight. My V6 did the same thing, too. And it would even grind a little bit for the first 50 yards or so of travel. So I'd definitely say what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

No clue about that warping thing, though. I'm curious what the other members have to say about that...
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
RayYork
LordVader
 
RayYork's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyd View Post
i dont know the answer but have a question..how do you notice that brakes are warped? do they make noises or you cant drive or somthing? i got stock brembo brakes and wonder how do i know if they are warped?
I feel a wobble or shaking when breaking. I can tell it's the fronts because I feel it in the steering wheel
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 (My daily driver)
www.facebook.com/racingyorks

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
RayYork
LordVader
 
RayYork's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Yep, mine stick every single time I wash it and let it sit overnight. My V6 did the same thing, too. And it would even grind a little bit for the first 50 yards or so of travel. So I'd definitely say what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

No clue about that warping thing, though. I'm curious what the other members have to say about that...
What a weird thing........
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 (My daily driver)
www.facebook.com/racingyorks

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Ishin
 
Ishin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT RS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Atlanta Ga
Posts: 201
My wife's car (300C) had the whole shaking thing going on, but it only happened when she braked. So damn annoying I bought performance rotors for her car because of how heavy it was and figured you get what you pay for.
Ishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 788
My SS sticks every now and then. As soon as I put it in reverse you can hear the rear brakes pop. It seems like the parking brake sticks after it is released.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 15,280
Mine stuck so badly once we had a hard time getting the car to move after a wash. You have to drive the car a little after you finish washing & drying & apply hte barkes several times to dry them out. The one time I had trouble I was exhausted & let hubby finish up my Camaro & he did not drive it after Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
sloSS
 
sloSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 254
It's rust on the rotors which forms after washing, normal.
Mine does it 100% of the time if I wash the car and don't drive it until the next day.
Brembo's have very high quality iron rotors which are subject to rust.
Brake rotors on typical non-performance oriented new cars use a metal that is less susceptible to rust.
Next time you wash and park, look at the brake rotors prior to driving the next morning. Just one or two stops in the morning and the brake pads remove rust from rotors.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
backbaconrules
 
backbaconrules's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 LT Black
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayYork View Post
I feel a wobble or shaking when breaking. I can tell it's the fronts because I feel it in the steering wheel
That is usually a sign that you have a warped rotor.
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Ohten

 
Ohten's Avatar
 
Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Palm Beach,FL by way of Akron,OH
Posts: 1,398
I take mine for quick trip around the block after washing to clean the rotors before the rust sets in.
__________________
Ohten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team
 
VR Baron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 13,348
Mine sticks also. Our Camry had the same shaking in the steering wheel when braking and the rotors were a bit warped.We had them turned and new pads was all and they are fine. Freinds SS has same symptoms as well
__________________
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/ Forgestar cf10 wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 18,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayYork View Post
Does anyone else's brakes stick after washing your car? If I wash my car then park if for the night, the next morning, my rear brakes are frozen. One quick release of the clutch and they pop loose. Anyone else experience this?

Also, but likely unrelated, I replaced my stock front Brembo's (rotors and pads) a while back and in short order (~5,000 miles) they were warped. The dealer replaced them with a warranty set and now that set is warped, also in about the same range of miles. My first set lasted ~60,000 miles without warping but now two sets in a row are failing very early on. Is there a break-in process that I missed? Any ideas?
is the Dealer using OEM parts?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.