Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Cangt77

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS Manual
Borla Atak + Solo High Flows

Anyone have this setup? I have the atak system and wile its loud at WOT, it isnt loud enough for me at 3k or around that, and I wanted to add the high flow catalytic converters(solo) because I dont want to void my warranty with headers. How's the sound? Will it drone? I head of some people saying its too loud with headers, so I was wondering if the high flow catalytic coverters would be like a "middle range" of nice loud but not too overly loud. I just dont want to waste my money for me to not like it! Youtube doesnt do it justice
Cangt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
it would make it louder. try it out! if it drones a simple j pipe can fix it and keep your nice deep atak rumble
Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Apex Chase

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
"Too loud" is a subjective thing. For my grandma? Yeah it is probably too loud. For me? Not so much. You shouldn't have any drone issues, but again, that is also subjective. Like SPCBA said, there is a fix for that if it does come up.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Cangt77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
"Too loud" is a subjective thing. For my grandma? Yeah it is probably too loud. For me? Not so much. You shouldn't have any drone issues, but again, that is also subjective. Like SPCBA said, there is a fix for that if it does come up.
Yeah let's just put it this way, I like loud haha. The only thing that kind of scared me off was that people said it "loses the muscle car tone" and just sounds terrible....I just want that deep V8 rumble and wile my borla has it I feel like its only really noticable at higher RPM(4k+) and I mean who really revs it to that under normal driving lol. I just want it to sound like a monster! I'll have to try it out.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
scotthalas

Drives: 2012 camaro 1SS
I just put Solos on this Sunday and I have the Borla Atak cat back......very happy with this set up......your neighbors wont be happy though......it is much louder then with the stock cats/resinators. Cold start up in the garage scared my daughter! No drone that I can produce.......love the way it sounds.
scotthalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Cangt77

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthalas View Post
I just put Solos on this Sunday and I have the Borla Atak cat back......very happy with this set up......your neighbors wont be happy though......it is much louder then with the stock cats/resinators. Cold start up in the garage scared my daughter! No drone that I can produce.......love the way it sounds.
Thanks man, yeah I'm getting pumped up for this!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangt77 View Post
Yeah let's just put it this way, I like loud haha. The only thing that kind of scared me off was that people said it "loses the muscle car tone" and just sounds terrible....I just want that deep V8 rumble and wile my borla has it I feel like its only really noticable at higher RPM(4k+) and I mean who really revs it to that under normal driving lol. I just want it to sound like a monster! I'll have to try it out.
I know what you are looking for in that sound too... I think you actually want to run without mufflers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthalas View Post
I'm sort of interested in this now too.... I've been planning on headers, but if I can do it with cats then so be it. Can I ask where you bought 'em and how much so I can start comparing prices and looking into it?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
scotthalas

Drives: 2012 camaro 1SS
Solo cats for an LS3 run around 575.00.....vendors here have them.....they are worth every penny.......I dont think you will find much difference in price looking around, except buying some used ones on the classified here....
scotthalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangt77 View Post
Thanks man, yeah I'm getting pumped up for this!
The factory cats are one of the biggest points of restriction on these LS3/L99 motors. Removing them frees up some ponies and a good amount of volume and on a car with Borla Atak you will notice it for sure. We haven't run into any complaints with drone except for cars that already had some drone issues.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
Installing our Solo high flows and Borla ATAK this weekend. Next, Elite catch can an ported TB
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #11
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
There is no such thing as too loud on these cars. The louder, the meaner
ARH LTs, Borla ATAK, HF cats
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
Just got done installing our Solo high flows and Borla ATAK cat back. Took me about 4 hours to do.
It sounds like a beast!!! Now if spring would just hurry up and get here I can go test it out!

Thanks Solo and Borla!!!! Great combo!
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
KSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My biggest concernw as the exact same thing .. I want it a little louder but I don't want it to lose that muscle car sound .. I love the ATAK rumble to it but don't quite wanna go all the way to getting headers just yet .. With the SOLO High Flow Cats is it raspy at all? That was another concern of mine was how raspy people said the ATAK was with LT's.. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_Alaska View Post
Just got done installing our Solo high flows and Borla ATAK cat back. Took me about 4 hours to do.
It sounds like a beast!!! Now if spring would just hurry up and get here I can go test it out!

Thanks Solo and Borla!!!! Great combo!