Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
CoV

Drives: 2010 SS IOM & 99 SS Black 6M's
Question Welding a Catback system, Pros / Cons???

I will be getting a Borla Atak catback system soon. I am seriously considering having it welded. Are there any major pros / cons that anyone can think of?

One major con could be that it might make working on it a bit more difficult if the exhaust has to be removed or resold.

Live on a gravel road so welding it might also help keep things from "shaking loose" over time...

I plan on keeping the car / exhaust long term.

I figured that I would just ask this question BEFORE I actually pull the trigger, just in case I was missing something.

I would love to hear some opinions. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
litle88
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I wouldn't bud, this way if shit happens you can remove it to either fix/upgrade or even sell it if something comes up. I did it and regretted every time. Had to cut it all up and won't fit right later. Just my .2 bud
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Never Satisfied
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: '10 1SS/RS M6 SW
FWIW,
I tacked all my joints on my 3" Kooks system, as the clamps just didn't seem to hold it tight enough for my liking. I actually broke a clamp trying to get it to clamp down tight enough. I have since removed my entire system more times than I can count. I had the car up on four jackstands anyway for the needed work. It takes a small amount of finagling, but nothing too hard. In fact, if I ever had to separate the system, I could always take a grinder to the tack welds.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
No real pros or cons. Just personal preference. I always weld the exhaust system on my personal vehicles just because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoV View Post
I will be getting a Borla Atak catback system soon. I am seriously considering having it welded. Are there any major pros / cons that anyone can think of?

One major con could be that it might make working on it a bit more difficult if the exhaust has to be removed or resold.

Live on a gravel road so welding it might also help keep things from "shaking loose" over time...

I plan on keeping the car / exhaust long term.

I figured that I would just ask this question BEFORE I actually pull the trigger, just in case I was missing something.

I would love to hear some opinions. Thank you in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
FWIW,
I tacked all my joints on my 3" Kooks system, as the clamps just didn't seem to hold it tight enough for my liking. I actually broke a clamp trying to get it to clamp down tight enough. I have since removed my entire system more times than I can count. I had the car up on four jackstands anyway for the needed work. It takes a small amount of finagling, but nothing too hard. In fact, if I ever had to separate the system, I could always take a grinder to the tack welds.
This.

I tack welded my axleback after it was installed to my liking. No issues whatsoever.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If you never plan on changing your exhaust system or adding headers down the road it won't hurt. But having to chop something off is always a pain especially if you needed to resell or re-install it. Most catbacks sold for the Camaro come with very nice clamps that do a great job. Tack welding isn't a bad option either for an extra peice of mind.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
Yea clamp it down and have someone tack weld it w a tig welder if its stainless
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
my clamps hold just fine. i wouldnt take a welder to it
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerisbetter View Post
my clamps hold just fine. i wouldnt take a welder to it
Agreed just go back and retighten after 100 miles and check at 300 miles after that u should be golden
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
i would only do a small tack weld on each piece. wont move and easy to take off
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
CoV

there would not be any real exhaust leakage if a person does not weld it?

I might just use the clamps now for simplicity.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
was619
Billy The Kid

Drives: Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
Some of my exhaust is welded some of it is has clamps. I now will have to adjust my exhaust/retighten (on the clamped parts) for the 5 or 6th time since putting it on. I agree with some of the above for tack welding it. at a minimum you will know that it moved if your welds are broken. Otherwise just make sure its as high up as it can go with out touching the underside of the body on your car. Especially because of living down a gravel road, it doesn't sound good when the exhaust bottoms out.
Aesthetics: ZL1 Spoiler, DIY LED marker lights, AACPlasma DRL, Yellow Calipers, painted factory wheels
was619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
my exhaust has not moved at all. i have corsa . i would recommend buying a quility exhaust and you wont have to worry about it.( i am not saying anyones exhaust is not good quality, i am simply saying corsa gives has no problems staying tight without welding.)
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
JDP Tyler

Drives: Chevys at the limit
As long as you go through and re-tighten everything about 100 miles after install, nothing should move on you. We always tell our customers to stop back by after a week or so, so we can inspect that everything is how it should be and make sure everything is tight. Welding is not a bad idea either though.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
No real pros or cons. Just personal preference. I always weld the exhaust system on my personal vehicles just because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
CoV

I'll probably do my own install and might just skip the welds ... Can always get it tacked later if I have issues. I have a gen 4 ss and not really any issues bottoming out. Typically 10 - 15 mph max on gravel w gen 4. Will be slower w gen 5