Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
zackex

Drives: 45th Camaro SS
K&N intake will it void warranty

I got a great deal on K&N intake at Amazon. My freind said it will void warranty I will check with dealer. I was just wondering what experiance you guys have had with this Mod K&N claims 18 HP. Not bad for $235.00.
I could always take it on and off with a little fuss.
zackex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLOW 1 of Only 28
BS

skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Meathead Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Your friend is drunk
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
yes it voids the warranty on the OEM intake.. seeing as it is not OEM GM won't pay for a failure of the intake..

insofar as anything else, a dealer can give you static about it if you have a major motor failure, but they would still have to prove it actually caused the failure to have GM void the motor warranty.

and FYI a dealer, regardless of the BS they tell you, cannot void a warranty, only GM can. But dealer can deny warranty coverage if they feel the mod caused an issue that GM won't reimburse the repair on..
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
i have the k@N typhoon cai...put it in beginning of january..had the car in the dealer for a air conditioning belt replacement ..no problem..even mentioned how my magna flow muffler delete exhaust sounded great

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
zackex

good to hear I think I will bolt it on tommorow. Whats the worse that can happen if they give me to hard of a time they will only alienate a customer and i will bolt the stock system back on. How is the intake noise with the K&N.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It wont void the warranty. But with my experience with KN they are a cheap intake. I guarrantee it wont get you 18. Probably closer to 8. I would recommend not get kn and instead get either vararam rotofab or cold air inductions.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion custom grind, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
This is a question we get asked often and is a major concern for many customers as they start down the road of modifying their vehicle. Search the web and you will find plenty of answers from the internet “experts”, but as usual most of them totally incorrect. So, what is the correct answer? Despite all the bad information out there, it is pretty cut and dry because there is federal law on the matter. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) regulates warranties and protects the consumer. This legislation was enacted in 1975 in response to widespread deceptive warranty practices in many industries. Here is how SEMA summarizes things:
The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker’s brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law’s protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part: No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name… (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
So in short, this means a service department or automotive manufacturer can not void your warranty simply because you have installed aftermarket parts or have modified your vehicle. They can, however, deny a warranty claim if they can prove the issue in question was a direct result of the installed part or modification. Unfortunately, plenty of people have stories of going to a dealership service department with a warranty issue and being denied because they have modified their vehicle. There are definitely shady service departments out there who will try to get over on their customers if they can, but this is illegal and it is up to the customer to know the law and stand up.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Beescuz

Drives: 2010 camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
It wont void the warranty. But with my experience with KN they are a cheap intake. I guarrantee it wont get you 18. Probably closer to 8. I would recommend not get kn and instead get either vararam rotofab or cold air inductions.
No it won't void the warranty
American Racing Headers, SLP Loudmouth Series 1, CAI, PAS CAM, MGW shifter, Pfadt rear trailing arm, Procharger P1SC, D1SC upgrade, Fast 65lb injectors, Kenny Bell booster pump, Alky kit and Tune by Frost(Steve). 714 RWHP
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
I thought there was a TSB or some type of warning about K&N intakes with the SS? Ik when I had it on my V6 it was a POS basically, caused a CEL and had toget rid of it
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
This is a question we get asked often and is a major concern for many customers as they start down the road of modifying their vehicle.
Great answer. Thanks!
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
I thought there was a TSB or some type of warning about K&N intakes with the SS? Ik when I had it on my V6 it was a POS basically, caused a CEL and had toget rid of it
K&N filters tend to be oiled a little excessively. That oil can contaminate your MAF sensor and trip a CEL. If that does happen all you have to do is pick up some MAF sensor cleaner at your local auto part store and clean it. You can prevent it completely by taking paper towels and blotting the surface of the filter to soak up the excess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
Great answer. Thanks!
No problem. Feel free to hit me up any time you have questions. That is what I am here for.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 03-07-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Apex Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackex View Post
good to hear I think I will bolt it on tommorow. Whats the worse that can happen if they give me to hard of a time they will only alienate a customer and i will bolt the stock system back on. How is the intake noise with the K&N.
I installed mine a year ago and have had ZERO issues with it. It sounds great, looks great and gets a lot of compliments. Everybody has their favorite brand. Buy it and enjoy.
Attached Images

MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
Dupontdon24

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I installed mine a year ago and have had ZERO issues with it. It sounds great, looks great and gets a lot of compliments. Everybody has their favorite brand. Buy it and enjoy.
Same from me, never had issues either. Enjoy!
Dupontdon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
i would definately wipe off the excess oil before installing that thing
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
zackex

[QUOTE=Apex Chase;6254431]This is a question we get asked often and is a major concern for many customers as they start down the road of

Great answer and I will remove the excess filter oil before i contaminate the MAF

Thanks for all Info given
Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
rd67

Drives: 2010 Silverado LTZ,2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I agree. I installed a K&N Typhoon CAI on mine 2 months ago and have had ZERO problems so far, as well. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what to put over the bracket and bolt that the OEM Air Filter Assembly bolted on. It's just hanging out there sayin' " What the heck am I still here for ???". I am trying to figure some type of a badge or something to go there.
rd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Like others have said you need to wipe off the excess oil, it won't void the warranty but if the oil messes up the MAF they will not cover it's cleaning.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackex View Post
I got a great deal on K&N intake at Amazon. My freind said it will void warranty I will check with dealer. I was just wondering what experiance you guys have had with this Mod K&N claims 18 HP. Not bad for $235.00.
I could always take it on and off with a little fuss.
voids the warranty on the intake hehe...fyi that k and n is poopoo should have done research and waited for sales for a quality intake
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Black
Ok the people bashing the Typhoon really don't have much of an argument. Its performance is proven. First of all K&N filters (even drop in type) of any kind are world renowned for their consistent clean high air flow. They are an industry leader for a reason. Second, lets look at the Typhoon polished CAI pipe.....its...a...PIPE with zero restrictions just like any other CAI and the quality/appearance is great. Pretty hard to screw up the intake pipe.

As far as the rare case where someone got a CEL or had to clean their MAF sensor, that's simple. YOU over oiled your filter, that is not K&N's fault. If it for some reason came over oiled new that's an easy fix, dab it once..done. People are so quick to bash products for usually one reason, the old childish "Well I have this brand so your brand sucks" I mean come on.

Sorry for the long rant, but this seems to happen way too much for just about any product that someone else doesn't use...so they bash it.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Ok the people bashing the Typhoon really don't have much of an argument. Its performance is proven. First of all K&N filters (even drop in type) of any kind are world renowned for their consistent clean high air flow. They are an industry leader for a reason. Second, lets look at the Typhoon polished CAI pipe.....its...a...PIPE with zero restrictions just like any other CAI and the quality/appearance is great. Pretty hard to screw up the intake pipe.

As far as the rare case where someone got a CEL or had to clean their MAF sensor, that's simple. YOU over oiled your filter, that is not K&N's fault. If it for some reason came over oiled new that's an easy fix, dab it once..done. People are so quick to bash products for usually one reason, the old childish "Well I have this brand so your brand sucks" I mean come on.

Sorry for the long rant, but this seems to happen way too much for just about any product that someone else doesn't use...so they bash it.

The metal K&Ns never have made as much power as the plastic ones. In their sales guide it used to only list FIPK numbers and when it started listing typhoon numbers they were well lower.
K&N told me personally this was because the metal tube heated up more so it wasn't a cold air intake. It was just a less restrictive intake.
That said, it's fine for $200
Other brands don't just cost more because they can. You get something else for the money. For instance, the CAI brand is ceramic coated. May seem trivial, but it keeps the air cooler. Also, the sealed style box, even if you don think it makes a power difference, is much nicer fit and finish wise so the money went somewhere.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
zackex

There is one other problem besides warranty just read that the Intake is ileagle in Ma, and many other states with carb emision standards. This could make getting an inspection sticker dificult. any one in Massachusettes have any experiance with fresh air intakes.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
the k and n is a very expensive way of putting a cone filter on your cars. they are popular because the real muscle car guys got shit filters from factory and the brand is well known. their box is shit and doesnt seal from engine hot air and heir tube is shit and a great heat absorber and there filter is way way way over oiled.

the drop in filter for stock boxes is over oiled any only advantage to oem filter is its reuasable....doesnt flow any better probably worse with the pound of oil they put on them.

sorry all you k and n guys but its poor quality and is a $235 waste of money. only benefit i can see and this is a stretch is it doesnt have those baffles/mufflers that the oem intake has so the engine sounds nice from inside cabin. there are intakes out there that look better, work better, and have proven gains in power and flow and temperature.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #24
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
the k and n is a very expensive way of putting a cone filter on your cars. they are popular because the real muscle car guys got shit filters from factory and the brand is well known. their box is shit and doesnt seal from engine hot air and heir tube is shit and a great heat absorber and there filter is way way way over oiled.

the drop in filter for stock boxes is over oiled any only advantage to oem filter is its reuasable....doesnt flow any better probably worse with the pound of oil they put on them.

sorry all you k and n guys but its poor quality and is a $235 waste of money. only benefit i can see and this is a stretch is it doesnt have those baffles/mufflers that the oem intake has so the engine sounds nice from inside cabin. there are intakes out there that look better, work better, and have proven gains in power and flow and temperature.

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #25
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
^^^^ must be new^^^^

SPCBA is right, compared to a ROTOFAB or Haltech (plastic of course) K&N is the cheap brand. Their drop in panel filters DO NOT flow better than a Fram it's just cheaper cause you can reuse it! Their metal tube will heat soak and cause IAT's to rise, I mean its a metal tube cooking next to the top of the radiator.
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote