Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
donaldblake

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS/RS
Upcoming Mods

Ok, I know this topic has been discussed before but before I spend +/-$2,000, I decided to reach out. I had planned on getting on getting the CAI cold air intake with a Corsa exhaust but was told that the Roto Fab is better because it won't throw a CEL. Also I was told I would need a tune if I were to get the CAI and Corsa exhaust but a tune would be optional with the Roto Fab. I plan on having Livernois Motorsports install the mods but like I said I am debating on the tune even though my salesman told me that I should get the tune and that any warranty work wouldn't be an issue because it's a performance dealership. I am in the 3rd year with 14,000 miles. What do you all think, any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was told the CAI can get heat soak which can result in loss of performance, what is that?

Last edited by donaldblake; 03-06-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: add
donaldblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Whoever is telling you this stuff about CAI and Corsa is full of s*%$. CAIs and exhausts of any reputable manufacturer do not throw codes or need tunes. If the shop you are looking at having this work done at is telling you this, run away as fast as you can because they they aren't giving advice to you with your best interest in mind. Check Jannetty's independent testing of CAIs on this forum to get the real scoop on CAIs, and the only exhaust item you would need a tune for is headers, not axelback or catback exhaust systems.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|AAC IBM & Tinted LED Sidemarkers|Roto-Fab IBM Engine & Radiator Covers|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldblake View Post
Ok, I know this topic has been discussed before but before I spend +/-$2,000, I decided to reach out. I had planned on getting on getting the CAI cold air intake with a Corsa exhaust but was told that the Roto Fab is better because it won't throw a CEL. Also I was told I would need a tune if I were to get the CAI and Corsa exhaust but a tune would be optional with the Roto Fab. I plan on having Livernois Motorsports install the mods but like I said I am debating on the tune even though my salesman told me that I should get the tune and that any warranty work wouldn't be an issue because it's a performance dealership. I am in the 3rd year with 14,000 miles. What do you all think, any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was told the CAI can get heat soak which can result in loss of performance, what is that?
The CAI intake should NOT cause a CEL and does not require a tune. Even combined with the Corsa there shouldn't be any CEL's. As far as heat soak, the CAI has a metal tube so during idle, slow traffic, or drag strip staging the metal tube can become heat soaked, meaning high intake temps which is not good for performance. With that said, most cai's will heat soak under certain conditions. Generally an intake with a plastic tube is preferable. The Roto-Fab has a plastic tube but the CAI outperforms it in independent testing. If you're concerned about heat soak and keeping intake temps down a good alternative would be an OTR (over the radiator) type like Vararam or New Era.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
rahallfly

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
Whoever is telling you this stuff about CAI and Corsa is full of s*%$. CAIs and exhausts of any reputable manufacturer do not throw codes or need tunes. If the shop you are looking at having this work done at is telling you this, run away as fast as you can because they they aren't giving advice to you with your best interest in mind. Check Jannetty's independent testing of CAIs on this forum to get the real scoop on CAIs, and the only exhaust item you would need a tune for is headers, not axelback or catback exhaust systems.
there are CAIs that need tunes. Look at the Jannettys testing sheet and it has one on it!

but correct you should not see a CEL

Are you getting the Corsa just for sound?

Get that salesman to put that in writing that warranty issue wont be a problem. Some people have had cool dealerships that will work with tunes on warranty work, depending what the problem is, and some wont.

The tune will make a good difference!

SHAKE ANNNNNNND BAKE!!!!!
rahallfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Someone is telling you a load of BS. Cold Air Inductions does not throw a CEL and does NOT need a tune either.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion custom grind, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
You have a 2011 get a vararam and Corsa that's fine BUT a tune is optional if you want a tune get you some Long tubes and make it worthwhile! Screw the warranty! Those are for Honduh's and Subaloosers! I got a vararam and a 3" flowmaster CB/center mount exhaust/ kooks 1 7/8's and tuned it in a matter of weeks off the Showroom floor.

Don't base your decisions (IMHO) on dyno tests base them off track times and/or real world tests. I like vararam because I'm not a fan of metal intakes no matter how much it's coated. They raise IAT's and that's no bueno TO ME.
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
CAI and exhust dont require a tune, although its a very good idea. Tunning the car is really what makes a big diffrence. The tune is what voids your warrenty. In my opionion if you are not willing to void your warrenty I wouldnt do anything. The small gains you get wont be worth the time or the money. Almost everyone on this forum has voided the warrenty. I voided my warrenty within 100 miles of buying the car. Food for thought on the warrenty. Your warrenty is only voided IF something breaks. lol
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
You are getting some bad advice. Time to find a new consultant. Neither Roto-Fab or CAI Inc systems with throw a CEL or require a tune. A CAI Inc system, in my experience, produces stronger gains partly because it is the only intake system that takes steps to mitigate heat soak. The Corsa cat back does not change any of that. No tune needed, no CEL risk. A tune will void your factory drive train warranty (see link below). If this salesperson tells you otherwise have him put it in writing and have the general manager sign it.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to send me a PM or give us a call. That is what we are here for.

GM 09-06-04-026A
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
donaldblake

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS/RS
Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it!!
donaldblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Think you would be fine with any top quality cold air intake or custom exhaust.

Its when you get into Long Tube Headers and HF cats that you will need to get a good tune or you will be throwing codes.

In my opinion though, if your going to get a CAI and custom exhaust, why not get a quality tune to take advantage of both as much as possible?

I also agree that JRE is the shop I would recommend. They have helped me with all my conversion to my 2010 SSRS and I could not be happier.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Nothing wrong with Livernois (although Ford lol).
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
cai inc and rotofab are both good choices. both have great fitment and both benefit from a scoop and washer bottle relocate. catback exhausts are for sound and sound alone...some performance in weight shedded but meh. i have seen numbers that the big stock mufflers actually help eliminate some of the drag on the rear diffuser. any intake worth anything shouldt require a tune. also beware of some intakes that are very expensive ways of putting a cone filter on your car.

little88 is a big supporter of vararam but i dont like leaning your radiator back and then using flimsy plastic braces. to each there own.

if your budget is 2k i would find a package deal with the cai of your choice, kooks or arh or stainless longtubes and a tune by a good ls tuner.

goodluck happy modding
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I agree with SPCBA, instead of that expensive Corsa cat back which does nothing for performance get a quality set of LT headers for the same price.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
i have a cai, corsa catback and longtubes and the combo is great. throw in the lt's and a tune and you will be set. for the best deal you can get the package from jannetty all at once i think its the 415 package or something like that
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:

My first mods were the CAI and Corsa. Watch my "transition vid" to see how your car will sound. Link Below. NO ISSUES with CEL!!
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote