Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,278
Out of storage, now have CEL TP sensor code

I just took Big Red out of storage but I noticed now I have a CEL. Took it to Auto Zone and the code comes up P0122 and P0223 throttle position sensor shorted or open. The car runs and drives fine. The 2 thinkg I changed over the winter related to the engine are I pulled the throttle body out for powdercoating and I changed the Vararam not tune section to a tune section. I plan on a dyno tune in the next month but I don't think it would cause a TP code, do you? Any ideas?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
RJT-SS
 
RJT-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 505
Do you keep your battery on a charger while in storage?
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,278
Yes, it was on a battery tender all winter. This is the first time it's been fired up since storing it in December.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
RJT-SS
 
RJT-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 505
I re-read the OP and I am not following the tune comment. Did you tune it or not? The intake and throttle body should not throw a CEL. I have a VMax TB and C.A.I. intake (no tune yet, waiting on my headers) and I do not have any CELs. Did you check your TB connector? Connection pins, etc.?
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Mike I sent you a PM and an email with diagrams for the TPS, accelerator pedal position along with the throttle relearn procedures.

Definitely not related to the intake.

Good info in one place.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/15922045-post9.html
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
2012InfernoSS

 
2012InfernoSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/2012 SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 775
I would just drive it but dont beat on her, then put a fresh tank of gas in it.. setting over winter gas goes bad
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I re-read the OP and I am not following the tune comment. Did you tune it or not? The intake and throttle body should not throw a CEL. I have a VMax TB and C.A.I. intake (no tune yet, waiting on my headers) and I do not have any CELs. Did you check your TB connector? Connection pins, etc.?
I have a JRE tune for the no tune VR. I have not had a tune since installing the VR tune section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Mike I sent you a PM and an email with diagrams for the TPS, accelerator pedal position along with the throttle relearn procedures.

Definitely not related to the intake.

Good info in one place.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/15922045-post9.html
Thanks Lee. It looks like maybe the TB is at fault seeing how the TP sensors are internal to the TB. I reseated the connector to the TB and all 6 pins look fine! I just disconnected the battery and I'll let it sit for a while.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
montreal2010yellow


 
montreal2010yellow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Join Date: May 2010
Location: LAVAL (10 min. north of Montreal), CANADA
Posts: 3,531
Did you had Fuel Stabiliser? When I purchased my car in April 2010 it has standed for 6 months in a garage (stored) without fuel stabiliser. Dealer had to change 1 injector that was cloged with varnish. Disconnecting the battry is the best thing to do, make it overnite, it's better.
__________________
T2 Facia, ACS TL1 Hood, ACS Winglets. G5CR CAI. Hotchsic Strut Brace and more...
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I have a JRE tune for the no tune VR. I have not had a tune since installing the VR tune section.


Thanks Lee. It looks like maybe the TB is at fault seeing how the TP sensors are internal to the TB. I reseated the connector to the TB and all 6 pins look fine! I just disconnected the battery and I'll let it sit for a while.

You are welcome Mike. Hopefully it is simply a sync issue between the TBS and the ECM and the power reset will correct that.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
04GOAT-11SS
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 36
Is it possible you turned the ignition on when you had the throttle body off and out for powder coating? Since there is no driveability issues I would assume it was a code that set during that process. I would check the TPS data with a scan tool, make sure they look good. Look for TPS1 and TPS2 to move smoothly with no dips or spikes. If that checks out, I would clear the codes and see what happens.
04GOAT-11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GOAT-11SS View Post
Is it possible you turned the ignition on when you had the throttle body off and out for powder coating? Since there is no driveability issues I would assume it was a code that set during that process. I would check the TPS data with a scan tool, make sure they look good. Look for TPS1 and TPS2 to move smoothly with no dips or spikes. If that checks out, I would clear the codes and see what happens.
BAM! Correct answer right there! I pulled the + batt cable off overnight and no more CEL today! Your post got me thinking, I remember possibly turning the ignition on at one time while the TB was out, although I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, all is back to normal and I'll keep an eye on it!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
BAM! Correct answer right there! I pulled the + batt cable off overnight and no more CEL today! Your post got me thinking, I remember possibly turning the ignition on at one time while the TB was out, although I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, all is back to normal and I'll keep an eye on it!
Never occurred to me that the key might be turned on while the TB was off. Sync issue FTL. Power reset FTW.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,278
Thanks for everyone's help!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Thanks for everyone's help!
Are you out of storage for the rest of the season? Or just to get the 3.91?
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,278
For the season!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.