Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
Bad70supreme


 
Bad70supreme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 2,618
Thats not what I am saying, I understand a bolton stang has the possibility to run faster then a bolton camaro. The stangs engine designe responds better to a tune and intake manifold swap and ease of using a 15" wheel. Using that boss intake is like a cam swap on a LS engine, my point is a basic tune, exhaust 5.0 is not running any better then the camaros. Once you get into that boss intake, running e85 and such then a bolton camaro has no chance I understand that, a cam will even things out for the camaro. A few cam only camaros have been 10s... Both cars are great, but both cars need to be modded different! The camaro is not going to run what a stang runs with the same parts, its a different car and requires a different setup.
__________________
217/228 .565 cam, th400 swap with 3600 stall, headers, GPI tune, VR intake, Bo white TB
11.63@ 118.6
11.66@ 119.5
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
CobraBall
 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Thats not what I am saying, I understand a bolton stang has the possibility to run faster then a bolton camaro. The stangs engine designe responds better to a tune and intake manifold swap and ease of using a 15" wheel. Using that boss intake is like a cam swap on a LS engine, my point is a basic tune, exhaust 5.0 is not running any better then the camaros. Once you get into that boss intake, running e85 and such then a bolton camaro has no chance I understand that, a cam will even things out for the camaro. A few cam only camaros have been 10s... Both cars are great, but both cars need to be modded different! The camaro is not going to run what a stang runs with the same parts, its a different car and requires a different setup.
The Boss intake doesn't make much difference for those cars, to be honest because it's optimized for high RPM road racing. They tend to hurt power down low and only until you get above 7k RPMs do they actually make a negligable difference.
CobraBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
Bad70supreme


 
Bad70supreme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 2,618
What are talking about, they pull more RPM with that intake and that equals more speed! The mustange has nothing down low to begine with, they run hard at high rpms. Add rpms and power up top were they use it is definitly making a difference!
__________________
217/228 .565 cam, th400 swap with 3600 stall, headers, GPI tune, VR intake, Bo white TB
11.63@ 118.6
11.66@ 119.5
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #29
CobraBall
 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
What are talking about, they pull more RPM with that intake and that equals more speed! The mustange has nothing down low to begine with, they run hard at high rpms. Add rpms and power up top were they use it is definitly making a difference!
Go take a look at some dyno charts comparing the two. The Boss intake pulls power from down low and adds a little bit up top. It's definitely not the equivalent of putting a cam in an LS3.
CobraBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #30
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,570
I have heard of some guys that went slower from the Boss intake. They say if your not going to shift above 7000 RPM's then it does no good and might hurt you. You have to remember that intake was built for a different set of cams and ported heads so it probably doesnt do as well on a bolt on GT and it certainly isnt worth what our cam upgrades are worth. What is worth the same as some of our small cam upgrades is certain tuning for the Coyote motor.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #31
RoadieWingZ
 
RoadieWingZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
What's up with the typing in blue? Is that what's cool nowadays?
....his forum name is the clue....
__________________


2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
tj@LSRPerformance
 
tj@LSRPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 109
Here is our Dyno sheet with the CAI/Tune/Boss Intake:



You will lose a little low end torque ... but it makes it up in the higher RPM end range.

Best Regards,

TJ
tj@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: w/t
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@LSRPerformance View Post
Here is our Dyno sheet with the CAI/Tune/Boss Intake:



You will lose a little low end torque ... but it makes it up in the higher RPM end range.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thats just a nasty "cruve" from 6-7500 rpm .
__________________
matt55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
IMJ
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehab View Post
I have a 12 Camaro ss with SLP axle back, intake, ARH with high flow cats, and x pipe, and a dyno tune by ECSC. My car Dynoed 429 rwh and 428 pound of torque. My boy has a 5.0 with headers, exhaust, H pipe, boss intake manifolds and a dyno tune. We went to the track few days ago, and my best run was 12.70 at 113.5 mph with a 2.11 60 ft. His best run was 11.8 at 121 mph with a 1.9 60 ft. I'm getting cams installed on Thursday, and hoping to gain about 50 to 60 rwh. Will I stand a chance once I get my cams ? He talks alot of shit.
Wow man, I hope you pull it off, but I can't recall many experiences where adding 50hp shaves a full second off of a run..... maybe unless you were running the quarter in a Neon or Cobalt or something.
__________________
__________________________________________
Ironman John
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #35
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Wow man, I hope you pull it off, but I can't recall many experiences where adding 50hp shaves a full second off of a run..... maybe unless you were running the quarter in a Neon or Cobalt or something.
There are cams that would give him a 80RWHP boost in power. 80RWHP boost in power with good driving and a good 60ft would increase his trap speed to over 120mph. 120mph trap speeds is a 11second car and even a mid 11second car with a good 60ft in the 1.6 range.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
debro7046
 
Drives: 2012 mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: nj
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
my point is a basic tune, exhaust 5.0 is not running any better then the camaros.

I understand your point, but you are mistaken. Im sure Ehab will chime in at some point. With intake, tune, and axle back he was only able to trap 111mph. with the exact same setup(intake, tune and exhaust) I did 118. Same track same night. The boss intake manifold does make the car a little faster but nothing compared to a cam. My point being is with just a intake and tune a 5.0 can trap what a camaro with a cam can. Im not bashing the camaro in anyway, I just think your information is a little off.
debro7046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #37
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
So what we learned today is that anyone who wants an 11 second Mustang can save 50k by just getting the GT because with 2k in mods you can beat it.

(if we were talking new at this point)
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
CobraBall
 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
So what we learned today is that anyone who wants an 11 second Mustang can save 50k by just getting the GT because with 2k in mods you can beat it.

(if we were talking new at this point)
Not hardly. With 2k of mods in a GT, you won't be trapping anywhere near 125 mph. And then if you start modding a GT500, well, game over. A sticky set of tires and a pulley and you're going to need to sink a lot more than $2k in a GT.
CobraBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
ehab
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro zl1 11.9 @ 116
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Brunswick, N.J
Posts: 44
only with the right driver though. When i first got my intake and SCT tune, I was disappointed when I only trapped about 1 mph faster than stock. While Debro was trapping as high as 118 with intake and tune. my car now makes about 430 rwh and only traps mid 113's. If I could trap as high as 118 with the cam I'd be happy. But it's just crazy that a 5.0 with intake and tune and a great driver traps as high as a stock ZL1.
ehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
RoadieWingZ
 
RoadieWingZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Had to go with this name. Chevy nut hugger was already taken.
__________________


2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post
Not hardly. With 2k of mods in a GT, you won't be trapping anywhere near 125 mph. And then if you start modding a GT500, well, game over. A sticky set of tires and a pulley and you're going to need to sink a lot more than $2k in a GT.
A stock 2012 GT500 traps 125?

Kinda hard to believe. I will admit, I have no experience but still hard to believe.

2013 I might could see. But 125mph is pretty fast, considering.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #42
LeanPocket
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
A stock 2012 GT500 traps 125?

Kinda hard to believe. I will admit, I have no experience but still hard to believe.

2013 I might could see. But 125mph is pretty fast, considering.

emphasis in bold.
I trap 122-124~ with a 150 shot nano nitrous in my old bolt on ls1. So yeah 125 is moving for what its worth.
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #43
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
So what we learned today is that anyone who wants an 11 second Mustang can save 50k by just getting the GT because with 2k in mods you can beat it.

(if we were talking new at this point)
Its more like 6K in mods. I have done the homework since I might get one in addition to my SS. Were talking LT headers, gears, torque converter, 15inch wheels and DR's, 1 piece driveshaft, springs and adj shocks, LCA's, adj panhard rod, rear end girdle, and tune. Thise mods will get you mid 11's in a auto car.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #44
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Its more like 6K in mods. I have done the homework since I might get one in addition to my SS. Were talking LT headers, gears, torque converter, 15inch wheels and DR's, 1 piece driveshaft, springs and adj shocks, LCA's, adj panhard rod, rear end girdle, and tune. Thise mods will get you mid 11's in a auto car.
The Mustang needs all those, or the Camaro?

Seems to me the stang just needs and intake and exhaust. lol
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
Deki

 
Deki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by debro7046 View Post
I understand your point, but you are mistaken. Im sure Ehab will chime in at some point. With intake, tune, and axle back he was only able to trap 111mph. with the exact same setup(intake, tune and exhaust) I did 118. Same track same night. The boss intake manifold does make the car a little faster but nothing compared to a cam. My point being is with just a intake and tune a 5.0 can trap what a camaro with a cam can. Im not bashing the camaro in anyway, I just think your information is a little off.
So a mustang with a tune and intake picks up 7mph? That's pretty nuts. I picked up 4mph with tune and exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Its more like 6K in mods. I have done the homework since I might get one in addition to my SS. Were talking LT headers, gears, torque converter, 15inch wheels and DR's, 1 piece driveshaft, springs and adj shocks, LCA's, adj panhard rod, rear end girdle, and tune. Thise mods will get you mid 11's in a auto car.
My buddy has a 2012 5.0 that's in the 11s at about 118mph, and all he's got is an E85 tune, injectors, 302 manifold, Jeg's cat deletes, 3" exhaust, with the only suspension mod being Eibach Sportline springs with LCA relocation brackets. Less then 2k in mods, trapping 118 running high 11s on a stock 255 series summer Pirelli. I'm not surprised at this dude's time, just his trap. 121 is hauling the mail with just basic stuff he's got done.
__________________
2011 GT Premium//Performance White...a little modded
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #46
debro7046
 
Drives: 2012 mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: nj
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
So a mustang with a tune and intake picks up 7mph? That's pretty nuts. I picked up 4mph with tune and exhaust.
I never ran my car down the track bone stock. A week after I got it, I bought a Torq speedlab mail order tune and the intake. so I'm not sure exactly how much mph it picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
My buddy has a 2012 5.0 that's in the 11s at about 118mph, and all he's got is an E85 tune, injectors, 302 manifold, Jeg's cat deletes, 3" exhaust, with the only suspension mod being Eibach Sportline springs with LCA relocation brackets. Less then 2k in mods, trapping 118 running high 11s on a stock 255 series summer Pirelli. I'm not surprised at this dude's time, just his trap. 121 is hauling the mail with just basic stuff he's got done.
Last week @ atco there was another 2012 5.0 with an intake, boss IM, cat delete, AED tune and axleback running 11.9-12.1 119+ with 3.31 gears on stock tires. Im not saying every mustang with those mods will trap that high but its possible. There are alot of other variables to consider, one mainly being DA
debro7046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #47
debro7046
 
Drives: 2012 mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: nj
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Its more like 6K in mods. I have done the homework since I might get one in addition to my SS. Were talking LT headers, gears, torque converter, 15inch wheels and DR's, 1 piece driveshaft, springs and adj shocks, LCA's, adj panhard rod, rear end girdle, and tune. Thise mods will get you mid 11's in a auto car.
If 11 second ET's are your main concern not trap speed then you don't need anywhere near 6k to do it. You dont even need the headers or the converter(if you stick with the stock manifold)4.10 gears, tune, front runners, and DR's should be enough.
debro7046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #48
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by debro7046 View Post
If 11 second ET's are your main concern not trap speed then you don't need anywhere near 6k to do it. You dont even need the headers or the converter(if you stick with the stock manifold)4.10 gears, tune, front runners, and DR's should be enough.
With my DA I'm pretty sure it would take at least the parts I posted to run mid 11's without weight reduction. Plus it would just be a steping stone for a Whipple 2.9 later on down the road. I would do the SC first but I'm curious how fast I could go full weight with bolt ons.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #49
wnt2gofst
 
wnt2gofst's Avatar
 
Drives: all fast
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: columbus, ga
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Ya gutted bolton shop cars in the 10s! Over the last 2 years I have yet to see a bolton 5.0 run any faster then 11.90s and that was once. The avg bolton 5.0 even with drag radials were all running 12.4-12.0 range at my tracks and stock I never seen faster then a 12.8 with avg of low 13s. I am not saying they cant be faster but those times were all typical around here. Nothing a SS cant handle!
Are you high? Many DD 5.0's have went 10's and low to mid 11's with bolt ons. Stock best is 12.2 and tire only best is now 12.07. I had my own 5.0 manual go 11.8 with tune/intake.dr's. Full bolt ons went 11.4 and I am not a great driver. But down side is sucking mnaual trans. I now have a auto blown 5.0 that went 10.3 at 650whp. The car makes over 700whp now. Yet to run it. Completely stock engine, stock headers even. Thats on my race tune and even on heacvy 20" rims. Street tune makes about 650 now. All on 93 pump.




I will be picking up a camaro is few months for the wife. It will get some simple mods nothing to crazy. enough to make 550-600whp. So really just a blower, bolt ons.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #50
Randyscamaro2010
 
Drives: Cammed
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The Mustang had the camS. You only have one. lol



Sorry, had to.



If he's really running those times and speeds then you are going to need more than just a cam.

To tell you the truth, with a 1.9 sec 60' I don't see how he's running that with his mods. I know the new 5.0 is fast but I'd bet big money that most cars with the same mods as he has wouldn't with an intake, exhaust and tune.
lol i was about to post something like this. Then is saw your post.
Randyscamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.