Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,457
Radio Dismantle

I don’t know if anyone has tried this yet...

As I was trying to find the reason that my USB drive doesn't work.... I took apart the console, 4-pack gauges, and the Infotainment device (a.k.a. Radio)








I am pretty sure that this is the culprit...



I am taking the PDIM box to the dealership in the next couple days to see if they can get a replacement.



it was pretty easy... 11 screws (9 phillips heads and two 7mm hex heads), a few electrical connectors, and a few clips
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
OUTATIME
 
OUTATIME's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 597
At first glance . . . this looks sooooooooooo easy for an aftermarket company to come out with - dare I say it - a double din bezel while at least retaining HVAC controls.

Anyway, good luck in getting a replacement.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,457
I was thinking the same thing
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
OUTATIME
 
OUTATIME's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 597
I'm sorry for the issues with your PDIM, but congrats on being the pioneer as far as removing the radio/HVAC unit with somewhat of an agenda to figure out how it works.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM
 
kdoske's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: louisiana
Posts: 950
nice! I agree about the aftermarket face plate.
__________________
Order# NJPW8K
1SS/RS SIM Black Interior
1100 (original order date): 04/16/09
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,457
btw...

A mini usb cable runs from the console standard USB connection to the PDIM unit. Both sides of the cable are male mini USB..... encased in one of those hard-to-remove automotive electrical connectors.

For you 1SS and 1LT owners....The 4 pack gauges pop right off, just give the whole piece a little tug.

there is a single electrical connection down there waiting to be hooked into the gauges.




Also.... the dealership wants to wait before they replace the PDIM unit... they want to hook the car up to thier "Camaro computer" that will not be ready until Wednesday.


They were pretty shocked to see that I had gone into the console
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 08-18-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
OUTATIME
 
OUTATIME's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 597
Hey, I don't know if you checked out the other thread - but they are working on a firmware fix for the PDIM module. You might want to wait for that and see if it changes anything.

Is it just the drive that doesn't work, or the port itself doesn't work with anything you plug into it?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,457
Aux input doesn't work either

I have tried 3 different USB drives, and a mp3 player plugged into the 3-1/2mm analog audio aux input.




I tried one of the USB drives on a Camaro at the dealership and it worked fine.
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 06-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
domano 68
 
domano 68's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post

For you 1SS and 1LT owners....The 4 pack gauges pop right off, just give the whole piece a little tug.

there is a single electrical connection down there waiting to be hooked into the gauges.
Great pics thanks a ton for sharing! Is the black connector with the pink the connector for the 4-pack gauges? TIA!
__________________
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
domano 68
 
domano 68's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
btw...

A mini usb cable runs from the console standard USB connection to the PDIM unit. Both sides of the cable are male mini USB..... encased in one of those hard-to-remove automotive electrical connectors.
Would you mind posting a pic of where the USB cable plugs into the stereo and a picture of the end of that USB cable. I'd like to buy this cable for my 1SS to have USB capability. Again, TIA!
__________________
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Indpowr
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Corvette C6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,028
The double din may take alittle time only because how the Radio is part of the entire piece (HVAC)

This also makes it much harder to mod with leather or carbon fiber
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Great pics thanks a ton for sharing! Is the black connector with the pink the connector for the 4-pack gauges? TIA!
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Would you mind posting a pic of where the USB cable plugs into the stereo and a picture of the end of that USB cable. I'd like to buy this cable for my 1SS to have USB capability. Again, TIA!
The mini USB doesn't go to the stereo.... it goes to the PDIM unit (4th pic), it looks like the PDIM unit acts like an MP3 player and then sends analog audio to the stereo
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 06-21-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
domano 68
 
domano 68's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Yes



The mini USB doesn't go to the stereo.... it goes to the PDIM unit (4th pic), it looks like the PDIM unit acts like an MP3 player and then sends analog audio to the stereo
Thanks man!!
__________________
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Racer606
 
Racer606's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '03 Mini Cooper S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 81
Did you by chance pull what appears to be the actual radio brain out in pic. 1 to see what connections were back there? Wondering of RCA jacks are present?
Racer606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,201
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm no electronic engineer, but it appears that adding an additional USB would be as simple as splitting a few wires. Is that accurate? I'd love to see a concealed USB guide for installing an iPod in the glove box.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #16
y2jdmbfan
 
Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm no electronic engineer, but it appears that adding an additional USB would be as simple as splitting a few wires. Is that accurate? I'd love to see a concealed USB guide for installing an iPod in the glove box.
Why not just use a USB hub?
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,201
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I was thinking about my last question. I have to wonder what the differences are between the non-USB models and the head units with USB ports. Is there any way to gauge how interchangeable these are? If they are bolt-on replacements, then the best option for getting the C&C package might be to splice wires or replace the 1SS head unit with a 2SS head unit.

In other words, can we get side-by-side pictures of the fully loaded (2SS) head unit and the stripper (1SS) head unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Why not just use a USB hub?
That would do, too.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm no electronic engineer, but it appears that adding an additional USB would be as simple as splitting a few wires. Is that accurate? I'd love to see a concealed USB guide for installing an iPod in the glove box.
I'm not sure you can do this. I don't think it's quite that easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Why not just use a USB hub?
A powered hub most likely won't work (it requires a driver or what not). A non-powered method might work but it will depend on the draw of the devices plugged in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I was thinking about my last question. I have to wonder what the differences are between the non-USB models and the head units with USB ports. Is there any way to gauge how interchangeable these are? If they are bolt-on replacements, then the best option for getting the C&C package might be to splice wires or replace the 1SS head unit with a 2SS head unit.

In other words, can we get side-by-side pictures of the fully loaded (2SS) head unit and the stripper (1SS) head unit?



That would do, too.
I don't think there's any difference in the head unit, just in the existence of the PDIM module.

Thanks to the FCC (ID VQQPDIMKTB), we've got pictures and data on the PDIM module.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf pdim manual.pdf (95.0 KB, 243 views)
File Type: pdf pdim pictures.pdf (855.0 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by UCF w00t; 06-23-2009 at 10:15 PM.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Looking up the major components on PDIM module shows a Freescale 140mhz 32bit cpu with a 16MB sdram module. There's also a flash rom but not sure how large that is (made by some obscure chinese company). I'm guessing that's storing the firmware for the device. Looking at the docs and samples for the CPU, it looks like they commonly run either a linux kernel or VxWorks. Would be funny if it was an easily hackable linux kernel.

The MCF5251 comes with a complete audio reference software package supporting the following:
• Windows Media Audio (WMA)
• MP3 decode
• MP3 encode
• mp3PRO
• Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)
• Ogg Vorbis
• SRS-WOW
• JPEG
• MPEG-4 decode
• Microsoft DRM (WMADRM10)
• ADPCM Voice Record
• PlaysForSure and PlaysFromDevice
• FAT16 and FAT32 file system
• Propriatory RTOS (FlexOS)
• USB Host MSC support
• SD/MMC Card support

Last edited by UCF w00t; 06-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,201
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I'm not sure you can do this. I don't think it's quite that easy.

A powered hub most likely won't work (it requires a driver or what not). A non-powered method might work but it will depend on the draw of the devices plugged in.

I don't think there's any difference in the head unit, just in the existence of the PDIM module.

Thanks to the FCC, we've got pictures and data on the PDIM module.
Am I to understand that these are made by Daewoo? Maybe there is some merit in keeping that miserable brand. They must be developing the electronics for every GM vehicle.

Am I also to understand that the difference between being able to plug in the iPod or other media device to a USB drive is this module? If that is the case, how much trouble would it be to get these modules from a GM dealer? If we can order these parts, how hard would the installation be on a 1SS or 1LT that lacks the C&C package? From what I know about previous GM vehicles, the interchangeability of these sorts of parts requires full replacement of a variety of electronics, leading to a wild nightmare of installations, cables, and sticking limbs in very tight spaces. It seems that all a 1SS driver would need to use any USB device would be a PDIM module, a USB cord, and a little time to connect the PDIM to the back of the head unit. Am I correct?
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #21
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Am I to understand that these are made by Daewoo? Maybe there is some merit in keeping that miserable brand. They must be developing the electronics for every GM vehicle.

Am I also to understand that the difference between being able to plug in the iPod or other media device to a USB drive is this module? If that is the case, how much trouble would it be to get these modules from a GM dealer? If we can order these parts, how hard would the installation be on a 1SS or 1LT that lacks the C&C package? From what I know about previous GM vehicles, the interchangeability of these sorts of parts requires full replacement of a variety of electronics, leading to a wild nightmare of installations, cables, and sticking limbs in very tight spaces. It seems that all a 1SS driver would need to use any USB device would be a PDIM module, a USB cord, and a little time to connect the PDIM to the back of the head unit. Am I correct?
Yup. As far as I know, this is the same or at least similar moduule that's being used across all the vehicles. Although I think the Camaro is the first one to use this particular module.

But yes, I think and believe that you should be able to buy this module and the associated cables (one harness that connects from the main deck to this device as well as the USB cable) and plug it in and like magic have full USB and bluetooth support in your 1xx car. From GM's perspective, this would be the most cost effective way as the head unit can remain standard across all the cars.

Also of note, uClinux is fully supported on this line of devices. They've even got a full document on how to create a MP3 player (basically what the PDIM module is) using uClinux with it. Let's just hope that GM/Daewoo decided to use this. Sure could make things fun.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #22
AhX
 
AhX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM\IOM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 163
Quote:
Also of note, uClinux is fully supported on this line of devices. They've even got a full document on how to create a MP3 player (basically what the PDIM module is) using uClinux with it. Let's just hope that GM/Daewoo decided to use this. Sure could make things fun.
Do you have any links to this document or info?
AhX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #23
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhX View Post
Do you have any links to this document or info?
http://www.freescale.com/files/micro...ote/AN3385.pdf

And just to make sure noone goes all crazy, I'm just pointing out what's possible with the platform that the PDIM module is based on. There's lots of other ways they could've developed the firmware for the device. It will require some more intimate knowledge with it to know what it's running.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #24
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,201
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
We need an experiment. We need a 1SS or 1LT owner and a 2SS or 2LT owner for the experiment. We are seeking to prove the hypothesis that the PDIM module is the only reason that the lower trim cannot have USB or Bluetooth. All we have to do is remove both head units and attach the PDIM to the lower trim's head unit. Upon doing this, we can try to plug in an iPod or use a Bluetooth device with the head unit.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM
 
kdoske's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: louisiana
Posts: 950
someone will do it, im hoping its sooner rather then later!
__________________
Order# NJPW8K
1SS/RS SIM Black Interior
1100 (original order date): 04/16/09
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Radio? rolnslo Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 37 08-19-2010 04:07 PM
Potential Solutions to Radio Problems The_Blur Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 17 11-10-2009 10:23 PM
sorry to cross post but need someone who can get onto chevylaunch.com Adam Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 7 06-04-2009 04:40 PM
AM Radio Camaro Announcement BamaKid 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 1 01-08-2009 09:46 PM
Sirius XM Radio drummerstevey Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 7 08-04-2008 09:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.