Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Gen5SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6 Spd Manual IOM
Hesitation @ high RPM shift

Recently I had to take a short 1 week trip to a location I knew had snow and had my tuner re tune the car so I could have traction control working again like stock. I think what was initially done was open up the torque settings(I'm not savvy on the settings so I don't know exactly how this works) I now have a hesitation at high rpm while shifting from going to 6500RPM to shift to the next gear. It's like the throttle pauses for a second while shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. It probably doesn't last that long but there is a definite break in response while shifting almost like the computer doesn't react to where my pedal is at and waits for a bit to react to the inputs its given by the accelerator pedal. Is this a tune issue or a parts issue considering I have added a Mcleod rxt and IdealG MC? I'm going to have some more work done to the car next week and I explained to the tuner whats happening with the car and he thinks its a tune issue but I just wanted some ideas if anyone has had this happen so we can figure this out faster.
2010 2SS/RS, 417 stroker, 4.0 Callies crank and rods, JRE pistons w/hellfire nitrous top rings, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks 3" Exhaust, CAI Intake and Scoop, Cam SullivanGM W/ Hardened PR, Stock Heads. Dual Springs, Mcleod RXT Clutch, Hurst LL W/ Cruise Momentary, GM 3.91 gears, Nitrous Outlet direct port 200 shot, Dedicated Fuel Cell(C16), LNC2000 and NOS Mini controller, BMR suspension w/Bushings, Pfadt Drop, Pfadt Diff Bushings, 1400hp DSS Axles, DSS driveshaft, Solid Engine Mounts, Razzi Body Kit, Speedhut Gauges,T-REX Phantom Grills (Black) 533RWHP/500RWTQ N/A, 724RWHP/816RWTQ 200 Shot
Gen5SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Bouncing off the rev limiter? Where is it set?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Gen5SS

2010 2SS/RS, 417 stroker, 4.0 Callies crank and rods, JRE pistons w/hellfire nitrous top rings, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks 3" Exhaust, CAI Intake and Scoop, Cam SullivanGM W/ Hardened PR, Stock Heads. Dual Springs, Mcleod RXT Clutch, Hurst LL W/ Cruise Momentary, GM 3.91 gears, Nitrous Outlet direct port 200 shot, Dedicated Fuel Cell(C16), LNC2000 and NOS Mini controller, BMR suspension w/Bushings, Pfadt Drop, Pfadt Diff Bushings, 1400hp DSS Axles, DSS driveshaft, Solid Engine Mounts, Razzi Body Kit, Speedhut Gauges,T-REX Phantom Grills (Black) 533RWHP/500RWTQ N/A, 724RWHP/816RWTQ 200 Shot
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
my car was doing this one time and i found that my cold air intake was not tight and letting air in at the throttle body and the mass air flow was being skipped.
fixed it and shifted fine. might look that over and see if u have the same.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Well if the limiter is at 6800 and you think you are shifting at 6500, you may be the victim of a lagging tach. 300 rpm goes by in the blink of an eye in 1st & 2nd. Need to log it with HPTuners or equal to see what you are really shifting at.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Gen5SS

My tuner used EFILive to tune the car, its going back on the dynojet in a few weeks once the gears and clutch are broke in. I'll check the intake and he will test the rpm when it goes back on the dyno I'm sure. Thank you for the suggestions this is why I love Camaro5!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Could be at the limits of the stock pump. So you're not having enough supply of fuel at WOT.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Gen5SS

If the fuel is the issue that will be solved shortly(I hope its not). I'm going to order the Squash system in a few days with id850's but I was going to wait to install it until I had enough money saved to buy an F1D setup.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5SS View Post
If the fuel is the issue that will be solved shortly(I hope its not). I'm going to order the Squash system in a few days with id850's but I was going to wait to install it until I had enough money saved to buy an F1D setup.
If you have 450rwhp (judging by your sig) then fuel most likely isnt the issue. The stock LS3 fuel system is still in its safe zone at that power level.

I would bet its the tune. When i leave traction control on and i bang gears (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd) in colder weather (tires break traction easier) the TC/SC system kicks in quickly and momentarily and doesnt even let the TC light blink because its not losing traction long enough to trigger the dash light. But as soon as i press the TC button and shut it off when i repeat the same pull with the same gear changes, instead of a momentary lapse in throttle the car spins the tires on the gear change.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Gen5SS

I took it to the tuner today for data logging. We did a few pulls with him driving and EFI Live data logging, he noticed the the same hesitation at high shift points. He is going over the data and we'll see what he comes up with. We did a run with the line lock engaged from 1st to 2nd and the hesitation was apparent there as well. I checked all the tube connections before and after the MAF sensor and everything is tight so I don't think I have an air leak to confuse the sensor anywhere. I might swap out the MAF to see if that is the gremlin. I checked to see if I had the weak MAF too and I have the good MAF. Hopefully the log shows something that we can figure it out. So frustrating He shifted at 6700 with the limiter set at 7000 with a live read from EFI and it didn't bounce off the limiter so that's not the issue.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Gen5SS

We'll we found a rise in air flow(not sure if I'm stating this correctly) by the maf at high rpm shift. It looks like the air flow rises like a spike in airflow(the way the maf reads it) right when the hesitation happens the way the reading from the maf shows on the graph. I've disconnected the filter and intake piping to the TB and re installed it to see if that makes a difference (possible leak). I'm deleting the cats next week so when we put it up on the dyno after the install I'll report back. BTW the chatter is almost completely gone in the rxt clutch after beating on it with several high rpm launches but it seems to still have a little chatter when it gets hot from going to first to second while slipping at 1200rpm or so, hopefully that subsides.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
try to make sure ur gasket around ur mass air is seated good

or tb to mani gasket. if u have ever taken it off . just some thoughts. like i said before my car did the same and it was just the cold air intake boot not tight.

but had the same thing cause my car to miss under normal driving was the mass air gasket wasnt sealing up right. its weird how just a lil bit of air can mess with these cars.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The only other thing I can think of is engine TRQ management kicking in to protect the car from braking something. I would shift at 6000 on the tach because of tach lag.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

^^^^ Good advice.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Gen5SS

I have the luxury of being in Vegas and it just so happens the Dynojet research facility is here and my tuner knows the person that does the R&D for Dynojet. Last night we re-tuned the car at their facility and did a few loaded pulls and had the a/f tuned perfect(car runs much smoother and seems more responsive) and before I went I took everything apart from the filter to the tb including the MAF and re-tightened them to make sure there were no leaks and even checked all the hoses. I still have the spike at shifting at anything over 5500 rpm. All the readings showed the tables reading fine except for the spike at shift points with all the nannies off so we started looking at the engineering of the LMR intake. The MAF sensor is on an inside bend on the rearward facing section of the pipe which my tuner and the Dynojet research guy think might be the problem with higher flow. I ordered a CAI intake, scoop and washer relocate kit. When they come in and I install the new parts I'll go back to the dyno. It might be the case that the intake I have now can only handle so much air flow before it becomes unstable inside the pipe where the air passes by with the amount of air its sucking in and the MAF being positioned where it is in the tube is causing this. I'll report back as soon as I get the parts installed and take another trip to get re-tuned. By the way before we did any pulls we turned off all torque settings to make sure it didn't affect the pull. After the new tune I pulled 464 HP and 436 TQ which is 14 more HP 10 more TQ than I previously dyno-ed at which I'll take into consideration of a different dyno and lower air temps than last time. I realize that I'm no expert on air flow dynamics so I'll take this all with a grain of salt until I get the new parts installed and a new tune.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Neto1978

Drives: 2011 camaro ss victory red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
Well if the limiter is at 6800 and you think you are shifting at 6500, you may be the victim of a lagging tach. 300 rpm goes by in the blink of an eye in 1st & 2nd. Need to log it with HPTuners or equal to see what you are really shifting at.
After programming with hypertech, set rev limiter at 6.700 and shifiting +300rpm over stock for each shifting....same problem from 1-2.
Neto1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Neto1978

Drives: 2011 camaro ss victory red
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
If you have 450rwhp (judging by your sig) then fuel most likely isnt the issue. The stock LS3 fuel system is still in its safe zone at that power level.

I would bet its the tune. When i leave traction control on and i bang gears (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd) in colder weather (tires break traction easier) the TC/SC system kicks in quickly and momentarily and doesnt even let the TC light blink because its not losing traction long enough to trigger the dash light. But as soon as i press the TC button and shut it off when i repeat the same pull with the same gear changes, instead of a momentary lapse in throttle the car spins the tires on the gear change.
i believe you re right gonna try it....
Neto1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 2014 SS sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5SS View Post
All the readings showed the tables reading fine except for the spike at shift points with all the nannies off so we started looking at the engineering of the LMR intake. The MAF sensor is on an inside bend on the rearward facing section of the pipe which my tuner and the Dynojet research guy think might be the problem with higher flow.
I think you're on the right track. I love my "Plastic" $250 amazon K&N intake for this. Low intake temps and factory MAF positioning. Different MAF positions in these cars screw everything up
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
Gen5SS

Car goes back on the dyno next Thursday with the Adm scoop and CAI intake hopefully that clears up the gremlin. If not then it's back to the tune.