Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #601
Adam @ Range

Drives: 2011 Tahoe, 1971 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
A new issue ive recently incountered. Would the Range cause a hesitant start? I started my car and it didn't start for a little while. After it did, it sounded real choppy for a little bit before it got back to normal.
We wouldn't affect anything except for the AFM. We don't have control over anything else.
Adam @ Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #602
Adam @ Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROD View Post
I dont know why so many people are having trouble with these? this little piece of heaven IMO is worth it! I have subs in my car and even though I have the car off, in sitting over a week the battery drains. so for me it would be common sense to unplug ANY accessory you have in/on your vehicle if you plan on having it sit for more than 72 hours. I need to get my range before they stop making them!
We will not stop making them. Frankly - we've been a little bit overwhelmed with the demand.

The Camaro is touchy. We love you guys but the car is tough. Trust us, this is the best solution that we have come to, thus far. You guys are pretty sophisticated about vehicles. For those who are not - the light thing is scary.

Adam
Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #603
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Even if there were no glitches at all, I'd still un-plug it anyway....Then each time you forget to plug it back in, you'll appreciated it even more when you re-install it...lol...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #604
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam @ Range View Post
We will not stop making them. Frankly - we've been a little bit overwhelmed with the demand.

The Camaro is touchy. We love you guys but the car is tough. Trust us, this is the best solution that we have come to, thus far. You guys are pretty sophisticated about vehicles. For those who are not - the light thing is scary.

Adam
i was joking about the not making them anymore part. i support you guys 100%
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #605
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
So I figure since I am the “unofficial” range tester (LOL) I’d report back on the latest FW and some other issues people have encountered.

Version 3 seems to be the most stable. With version 1 & 2 I was able to replicate the lights at will, with version 3 I have only be able to get it to happen 1 time and that was shortly after receiving it. So while I think version 3 is a vast improvement there is still a chance, although much less likely you’ll experience the lights.

Regarding the lights, I have ZERO concern over them. I have both confirmed with the dealer and my own ODB reader that the codes do not show up. I have even scanned it while the lights were on and the scanner showed no codes. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, to clear the lights all you need to do is remove the key for about a minute and restart (no need to remove the device), this will clear the lights. Someone mentioned ealier in the thread to open and close the door as this help complete the electrical shutdown, I have done it both ways and it seems there is no difference.

Regarding the battery drain, I’ve had all the FW’s and all 3 at one time or another have been in the car for 2-3 days without starting and I have had no issue, but it was only 2-3 days. As with others a dying battery to me is more concerning then some random lights. It’s not often my car goes more than 3 days without starting but in can happened and I really don’t want to “have to” remember to pull the device, so I agree we need a fix for this. A switch would be nice or maybe just a complete shutdown of the unit although I am not sure either is possible. I am thinking I may keep the older version as I believe it draws less power but I am waiting from Range on this. Not sure how this will be addressed but I'd like to see some resolution to this issue.

Regarding the car not starting/rough start, I have yet to experience this so I cannot comment. What I will say is I have done extensive testing and I’m sure if it were the range device causing this it would have happened to me by now.

Regarding the cover coming off and the reliability of the ODB II port itself, I have had the device in and out many times, and never did the cover come off (but something IMO Range should look into if they are recommending frequent removal of the device). I think it’s because I grab the unit from the sides and not the font and back. So either do it this way or maybe put a zip tie on the cover, I would not glue the cover in case it ever has to be opened. As for the port itself, I have no idea on how long it would last with the unit going in and out a lot but this is a simple fix that both takes stress off the port and hides the unit. I am going to buy the below adaptor, these come in several sizes so it’s all about preference.

I still highly recommend the unit and would not hesitate to buy it again if needed. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited by nyrfan; 05-30-2013 at 12:47 PM.
nyrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #606
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
So I figure since I am the ďunofficialĒ range tester (LOL) Iíd report back on the latest FW and some other issues people have encountered.

Version 3 seems to be the most stable. With version 1 & 2 I was able to replicate the lights at will, with version 3 I have only be able to get it to happen 1 time and that was shortly after receiving it. So while I think version 3 is a vast improvement there is still a chance, although much less likely youíll experience the lights.

Regarding the lights, I have ZERO concern over them. I have both confirmed with the dealer and my own ODB reader that the codes do not show up. I have even scanned it while the lights were on and the scanner showed no codes. As I mentioned earlier in the tread, to clear the lights all you need to do is remove the key for about a minute and restart (no need to remove the device), this will clear the lights. Someone mentioned ealier in the thread to open and close the door as this help complete the electrical shutdown, I have done it both ways and it seems there is no difference.

Regarding the battery drain, Iíve had all the FWís and all 3 at one time or another have been in the car for 2-3 days without starting and I have had no issue, but it was only 2-3 days. As with others a dying battery to me is more concerning then some random lights. Itís not often my car goes more than 3 days without starting but in can happened and I really donít want to ďhave toĒ remember to pull the device, so I agree we need a fix for this. A switch would be nice or maybe just a complete shutdown of the unit although I am not sure either is possible. I am thinking I may keep the older version as I believe it draws less power but I am waiting from Range on this. Not sure how this will be addressed but I'd like to see some resolution to this issue.

Regarding the car not starting/rough start, I have yet to experience this so I cannot comment. What I will say is I have done extensive testing and Iím sure if it were the range device causing this it would have happened to me by now.

Regarding the cover coming off and the reliability of the ODB II port itself, I have had the device in and out many times, and never did the cover come off (but something IMO Range should look into if they are recommending frequent removal of the device). I think itís because I grab the unit from the sides and not the font and back. So either do it this way or maybe put a zip tie on the cover, I would not glue the cover in case it ever has to be opened. As for the port itself, I have no idea on how long it would last with the unit going in and out a lot but this is a simple fix that both takes stress off the port and hides the unit. I am going to buy the below adaptor, these come in several sizes so itís all about preference.

I still highly recommend the unit and would not hesitate to buy it again if needed. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #607
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGUNNER View Post
What the heck
Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #608
merlin803

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Camaro 2SS RS
I am just going to keep my current version (2nd version I think). The battery drain on the latest version wouldnt work for me as it is not unusual for my car to go a few days without being driven plus when I do have it at work, I normally eat in my car for lunch with the radio on (draining the battery in itself). Not worth having to worry about unplugging it.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #609
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
I am just going to keep my current version (2nd version I think). The battery drain on the latest version wouldnt work for me as it is not unusual for my car to go a few days without being driven plus when I do have it at work, I normally eat in my car for lunch with the radio on (draining the battery in itself). Not worth having to worry about unplugging it.
Version 1 and 2 seem to drain to, although probably slower. Palmer has version 1 and his battery died.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-01-2013 at 11:27 AM.
nyrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #610
merlin803

Quote:
Version 1 and 2 will drain it to, although probably slower. Palmer has version 1 and his battery died.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

I guess the question is , exactly how much more drain does the latest version have than the other versions?

My car just sat with my version 2 plugged in for about 4 or 5 days and started no problem. I wasn't even aware that the first couple versions could have a continuous drain after the car was turned off.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #611
Ohten
Hot Sauce

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tincoat SS/RS
Quote:
So I figure since I am the ďunofficialĒ range tester (LOL) Iíd report back on the latest FW and some other issues people have encountered.

Version 3 seems to be the most stable. With version 1 & 2 I was able to replicate the lights at will, with version 3 I have only be able to get it to happen 1 time and that was shortly after receiving it. So while I think version 3 is a vast improvement there is still a chance, although much less likely youíll experience the lights.

Regarding the lights, I have ZERO concern over them. I have both confirmed with the dealer and my own ODB reader that the codes do not show up. I have even scanned it while the lights were on and the scanner showed no codes. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, to clear the lights all you need to do is remove the key for about a minute and restart (no need to remove the device), this will clear the lights. Someone mentioned ealier in the thread to open and close the door as this help complete the electrical shutdown, I have done it both ways and it seems there is no difference.

Regarding the battery drain, Iíve had all the FWís and all 3 at one time or another have been in the car for 2-3 days without starting and I have had no issue, but it was only 2-3 days. As with others a dying battery to me is more concerning then some random lights. Itís not often my car goes more than 3 days without starting but in can happened and I really donít want to ďhave toĒ remember to pull the device, so I agree we need a fix for this. A switch would be nice or maybe just a complete shutdown of the unit although I am not sure either is possible. I am thinking I may keep the older version as I believe it draws less power but I am waiting from Range on this. Not sure how this will be addressed but I'd like to see some resolution to this issue.

Regarding the car not starting/rough start, I have yet to experience this so I cannot comment. What I will say is I have done extensive testing and Iím sure if it were the range device causing this it would have happened to me by now.

Regarding the cover coming off and the reliability of the ODB II port itself, I have had the device in and out many times, and never did the cover come off (but something IMO Range should look into if they are recommending frequent removal of the device). I think itís because I grab the unit from the sides and not the font and back. So either do it this way or maybe put a zip tie on the cover, I would not glue the cover in case it ever has to be opened. As for the port itself, I have no idea on how long it would last with the unit going in and out a lot but this is a simple fix that both takes stress off the port and hides the unit. I am going to buy the below adaptor, these come in several sizes so itís all about preference.

Where can I pickup that adapter ?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #612
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
Where can I pickup that adapter ?
Hey,

Do a search on odbII extender, you'll come up with a ton of options.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #613
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2013 Blk/Blk 1SS Auto
I have been using this since day one. It allows me to tuck the unit into the "pocket" above and to the left of the drivers left foot. No problems with it at all.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085WMKU8/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

"Just looking fast is sometimes all it takes!!!"
Visit Beast's album and garage for the mod list.
Sftshldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #614
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Quote:
I guess the question is , exactly how much more drain does the latest version have than the other versions?

My car just sat with my version 2 plugged in for about 4 or 5 days and started no problem. I wasn't even aware that the first couple versions could have a continuous drain after the car was turned off.

I have left the device plugged for 5 days mon-fri and car started just fine. I guess im a lil confused now as i thought it had on/off logic. Is that not the case? If its draining the batter is it that its turning on when the car is completly off? Where is it drawing power to do that if car is off?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #615
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I really want one, but I would like to see some improvements. I would be upset finding the battery dead, because I forgot to pull it out..
Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #616
SROD
THE ROD MAN

If I order mine this month, is there a specific firmware version I will receive? I also have noticed some pictures of the Range device have a bluish LED glow and others have a orange-like color to it. Is it random the color or firmware I will receive?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #617
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (20k miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROD View Post
If I order mine this month, is there a specific firmware version I will receive? I also have noticed some pictures of the Range device have a bluish LED glow and others have a orange-like color to it. Is it random the color or firmware I will receive?
I believe the blue is the AFM Deactivator; and red is the AFM Activator
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #618
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
I believe the blue is the AFM Deactivator; and red is the AFM Activator
I've only seen and know of the blue color.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #619
bloink2018

Drives: 2012 2ss camaro ibm
i just recieved mine yesterdad what firmware do i have pluged in and drove i love it just read reviews and went and took out scared to use after reading all this stuff my sku #is ra003
bloink2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #620
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloink2018 View Post
i just recieved mine yesterdad what firmware do i have pluged in and drove i love it just read reviews and went and took out scared to use after reading all this stuff my sku #is ra003
Scared if what? There is no reason to remove it unless the car will sit for a period of time.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #621
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan
I still highly recommend the unit and would not hesitate to buy it again if needed.
Same here. I am disappointed that it needs to be unplugged during extended periods (more than 3 days) of not starting the car though. As stated earlier, my car sat for 8 days and the battery was dead. Nothing. Couldn't even unlock the doors with remote. Something I'll just have to be aware of, I guess.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Heritage Grille
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #622
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Same here. I am disappointed that it needs to be unplugged during extended periods (more than 3 days) of not starting the car though. As stated earlier, my car sat for 8 days and the battery was dead. Nothing. Couldn't even unlock the doors with remote. Something I'll just have to be aware of, I guess.
What version was it?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #623
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
What version was it?
He got the very 1st unit, so version 1.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #624
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
I've had mine plugged in 24/7 from the get and LOVE it !!!
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #625
Adam @ Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Hey Palmer:
Your version should not drain the battery. The first two firmware versions have hard off logic. I've had my truck parked for 20 days. Started no problem.

The latest version will almost completely eliminate the lights problem. There is a small drain on the battery. If you plan to store your vehicle for 3-4 days, please remove the device.

We feel that this is the best compromise for AFM deactivation with no warranty concerns. Given that I answer most of the customer service calls (as some of you know) - I feel more comfortable eliminating the potential for CELs, etc. Most of the folks running our product are daily drivers, so battery doesn't seem to be a huge deal. Again, if you have the earlier firmware - you are welcome to keep it.

While we will continue to try to make our device better - we know now that we can't eliminate the lights without a bit of power draw. For those on the fence, this is likely as refined as we will be able to deliver. The power steering communication on this vehicle is just fickle.

Thanks again, guys. Lastly - we're bringing Summit on as a dealer and we will most likely have to sunset the CAMARO5 discount in order to maintain pricing. We probably only have 2 more weeks that we can offer that.

All the best,
Adam