Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

horizon670
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #751
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecamaro View Post
How can ya tell what version you have
Look at your invoice.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #752
Pflyn lo

Drives: 2013 summit white zl1
Got mine, all I can is "amazing"
Pflyn lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #753
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
just wondering if you guys can write some reviews on Amazon about the range. that would benefit everyone too and move this product to the top!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #754
nicecamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Look at your invoice.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Thanks for the reply nyrfan; all I see is the sku # is RA003, guess this means version 3.
nicecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #755
Pflyn lo

Drives: 2013 summit white zl1
My invoice says the same. I have a question tho. When plugged in, the device has a blue light on. When I shut the car off, the blue light goes off. Folks have been talking about dead batteries. Is the blue light the draw or one thing in the device itself causing the draw? My car sits for a couple weeks at a time.
Pflyn lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #756
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Old 06-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #757
crazyhorse

Drives: 2013 2SS
Version 3 has a slight consistent drain to fix the "lights" issue that some have seen with V1 and V2 (others have not seen it). Consensus so far is if you aren't going to drive for 3 days, unplug it. The blue light is not the only drain on the Version 3. Version 1 and 2 had hard off logic - so they wouldn't drain batteries - but they had an issue where (infrequently and sometimes never) lights on the dash would go off. This required turning the car off, waiting, and then back on. V3 stays awake a little bit to fix the infrequent dash lights issue. This is my understanding and I could be wrong.

Some suggested using switched 12v power (only on when the car is on) from the fusebox to pin16 on an OBD2 extension, and then plugging a V3 into that. I am exploring this option.

I'm also looking for a mechanical switch or a small timer switch that could sit on pin16 on an OBD2 extension -- they've got timer switches that last for months on calculator batteries. My thinking here is I could keep the V3 plugged in all the time, but after say 3 days the timer toggle on pin16 would turn off. Maybe that timer could reset each time the car starts I need to explore further.

Also a question for Adam -- If I unplug a V3 each time to get in the habit, then plug it back in each morning, isn't that exactly the same as a V2 with hard off technology? Won't a V3 have the same frequency of lights issues (rare) that a V2 would if I unplug the V3 each night (since you said the way the V3 reduces the lights issue is it stays "awake" with a slight battery drain).

I think the V2 with infrequent lights and no battery issues is preferable, but so far nobody seems to agree.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #758
Webbster

Drives: ls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post

I think the V2 with infrequent lights and no battery issues is preferable, but so far nobody seems to agree.
I AGREE 100 %
Webbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #759
Webbster

Drives: ls1
On The Fence

Been on the fence about this product for a long time now, and my thought's are that I have enough things to keep up with and do not need any additional chores. I would have already bought this product if not for the battery drain. If this module where something that were cook up in a garage then I can see unplugging it constantly and causing un-needed wear on the OBD port. But for a $200 professionally made product and with technology where it is today I cant understand why the battery drain issue cannot be addressed with a better approach than simply unplugging when not in use!
Webbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #760
merlin803

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbster View Post
I AGREE 100 %
+1 That is why I kept my V2.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #761

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
My $.02 (again, lol)...Even if these devices were marketed as having to be taken out after each use, they'd still be the greatest thing ever and sell like hot-cakes....

I'd unplug it every time just so I could take it into the house and admire it!...lol...
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #762
suzook

Drives: camaro
So I have a ver3 on my 13 SS...I have had the same issue twice. I start car...I have a service power steering message in the dic...along with the abs and traction control lights lit up....heres the kicker...the power steering does NOT work. Its stiff, and i guess in backup mode...drove it....turned off...unplug range...start car 30 mins later...everything all good. Anyone else with a 13 have this issue??
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #763
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
So I have a ver3 on my 13 SS...I have had the same issue twice. I start car...I have a service power steering message in the dic...along with the abs and traction control lights lit up....heres the kicker...the power steering does NOT work. Its stiff, and i guess in backup mode...drove it....turned off...unplug range...start car 30 mins later...everything all good. Anyone else with a 13 have this issue??
Yes, this is the light issue that has been talked about many times, when this happens power steering is disabled. Again when you get the lights all you need to do is shut the car off and take the key out for 60 seconds and restart. That will clear everything.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #764
suzook

Quote:
Yes, this is the light issue that has been talked about many times, when this happens power steering is disabled. Again when you get the lights all you need to do is shut the car off and take the key out for 60 seconds and restart. That will clear everything.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
I have ver3...supposedly..I thought this doesnt happen with that. How can I be sure?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #765
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
I have ver3...supposedly..I thought this doesnt happen with that. How can I be sure?
It can still happen with V3, just less frequent. This was mentioned by myself earlier in the thread (after testing) and Adam from range.

Your receipt should list the version.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #766
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (20k miles)
This is the 3rd time my lights came on and the chiming started last night. I removed the key and waited 1 minute and it still did not shut the lights off...I did all kinds of variations of removal, wait, and restarting the car and nothing worked. Finally I just drove my car home with all the lights/issues. This last time I was in the car getting gas with the car dead, but the accessory on. (for about 8 minutes waiting to fill up) this is the 2nd of 3 total times this caused the lights.

Question for L99 owners w/ range: After the lights come on, does your car feel like its operating on the low fuel trim tables? I feel like I have to do a fuse pull again

For those who do not know; this is what the lights look like. Plus imagine a bunch of consistant seatbelt chiming.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #767
suzook

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
This is the 3rd time my lights came on and the chiming started last night. I removed the key and waited 1 minute and it still did not shut the lights off...I did all kinds of variations of removal, wait, and restarting the car and nothing worked. Finally I just drove my car home with all the lights/issues. This last time I was in the car getting gas with the car dead, but the accessory on. (for about 8 minutes waiting to fill up) this is the 2nd of 3 total times this caused the lights.

Question for L99 owners w/ range: After the lights come on, does your car feel like its operating on the low fuel trim tables? I feel like I have to do a fuse pull again

For those who do not know; this is what the lights look like. Plus imagine a bunch of consistant seatbelt chiming.
I use 87...so I'm on the low octane table...but today driving my l99 with the lights it def felt sluggish....it def wasn't running at full power. I have a love/hate relationship with the range.

Last edited by suzook; 06-19-2013 at 03:27 AM.
suzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #768
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Wow look at those christmas lights. Had that happen only with v1.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #769
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
I just installed mine last night and noticed the same thing on my 2013 SS after I turned it off with the key in the on position while checking out the DIC and the NAV after driving. I did not restart it and left the unit in. Came in to check the forum to see if anyone else had the same issue. I hope this isn't a constant problem, because the throttle response was noticeably better in every situation.
Also, I think you noted that it created a problem with the MyLink system. I would like Adam to chime in on this issue with V3.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #770
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
I just installed mine last night and noticed the same thing on my 2013 SS after I turned it off with the key in the on position while checking out the DIC and the NAV after driving. I did not restart it and left the unit in. Came in to check the forum to see if anyone else had the same issue. I hope this isn't a constant problem, because the throttle response was noticeably better in every situation.
Also, I think you noted that it created a problem with the MyLink system. I would like Adam to chime in on this issue with V3.
Right now my bet is one has nothing to do with the other.

Anyway guys/gals as of Saturday I will be leaving the world of Range and joining the tuned world. My ARH LT & HF cats get installed on Saturday and with that comes a dyno tune. I still love the Range product and highly recommend it but in the end the need for speed and sound have gotten the best of me.

Adam, 1 unit will be in route back to you by tomorrow.

Anyone else interested in a unit I will be selling mine so PM me if interested.

Felix
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #771
suzook

Quote:
Right now my bet is one has nothing to do with the other.

Anyway guys/gals as of Saturday I will be leaving the world of Range and joining the tuned world. My ARH LT & HF cats get installed on Saturday and with that comes a dyno tune. I still love the Range product and highly recommend it but in the end the need for speed and sound have gotten the best of me.

Adam, 1 unit will be in route back to you by tomorrow.

Anyone else interested in a unit I will be selling mine so PM me if interested.

Felix
Idk...I'm not so sure about that...this range plays a lot of games with the electronics...not sure how much more I can deal with. I'm hoping some sort of solution comes in the near future, or I might have to return it.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #772
crazyhorse

Drives: 2013 2SS
Adam, if the range was "on" only when the ignition was on, powered from an ignition switched fuse line, would it fix these problems some are having when the key is in the on position but the car is not running? Seems like that would solve the battery issue too. I know you've said the BUS stuff is very complicated - -I'm just throwing it out there - the install might be a little more work (powering off of an "ignition only" source not in the OBD2, probably using an OBD2 extension to make it nice/tuck it in door panel) but would be well worth it IMO if it would work. I hate AFM.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #773
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (20k miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGUNNER View Post
Wow look at those christmas lights. Had that happen only with v1.
Negative. I have the 2nd firmware.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #774
suzook

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Adam, if the range was "on" only when the ignition was on, powered from an ignition switched fuse line, would it fix these problems some are having when the key is in the on position but the car is not running? Seems like that would solve the battery issue too. I know you've said the BUS stuff is very complicated - -I'm just throwing it out there - the install might be a little more work (powering off of an "ignition only" source not in the OBD2, probably using an OBD2 extension to make it nice/tuck it in door panel) but would be well worth it IMO if it would work. I hate AFM.
That might be a great idea...need some info from from Adam...who seems to not be around lately. I'm ordering an obd extension today...when I get it...gonna cut the #16 pin wire....attach the wire goin to the ext with the range plugged in to a 12v power only when car is running...this should solve dead battery.... AND light problems.

EDIT...I just ordered cable and switch...my first test will be using a switch on the 12volts....then, when I get more time...I will find constant 12v ONLY when vehicle is running. I will post results when all is done.

Last edited by suzook; 06-19-2013 at 01:46 PM.
suzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #775
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
That might be a great idea...need some info from from Adam...who seems to not be around lately. I'm ordering an obd extension today...when I get it...gonna cut the #16 pin wire....attach the wire goin to the ext with the range plugged in to a 12v power only when car is running...this should solve dead battery.... AND light problems.

EDIT...I just ordered cable and switch...my first test will be using a switch on the 12volts....then, when I get more time...I will find constant 12v ONLY when vehicle is running. I will post results when all is done.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Heritage Grille
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote