Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Raymonds Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #976
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
Can anyone tell me if the issue described below could be due to the range AFM disabler (v4)?

I've been running the v4 for several weeks now without an issue. Today I try to start my car remotely at lunch (with remote, not onstar) and it would not work. Get in my car and while in reverse, the message "Service Park Sensor" pops up on the DIC and other lights like ABS come on. Go back into a parking place and turn off then back on and the issue is still present. Unplugged range from OBD port (with car off) and still same issue. I noticed my vents would show they were on, but would not blow until I manually moved the fan dial. The car would turn off sometimes too. Decided to drive it and while tach and speedo displayed, they didn't move. Speedo stayed at 0MPH and all error lights were still on.

I plugged a bluetooth OBD tool that syncs up to my Android phone and no error codes were detected. The tool reported my actual speed although the car still showed 0MPH. Got back to work and turned it off. Tried turning back on and no more errors. Put range back in and tried again with no errors. I'm not sure if this is a fluke or not, but just wanted to know if anyone else with the range plug has experienced this.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #977
Bugnut

Drives: Camaro
I had this Service Parking Assist come up on my recent road trip twice. First time it wouldn't let the car run. Started about 3 times and each it just died after running less than 2 seconds. Unplugged the Range, tried 3 more unsuccessful times. Each with either blank display or the Service Park Assist in the display.

Looked at the wife and being in the literal middle of nowhere Montana, wondered if we were about to have a laughable experience with a tow truck and an extra overnight stay. In Montana. On a cross country trip. Did I say middle of no where?

Tried again and by the grace of doG, she started. Couple revs and all sounded good. Stayed that way for days. Then once more a couple days later just once. Same Service message, but the car just started. No pulling of the Range.

My only guess was this was NOT related to the Range, but crap from gravel and dirt roads. As the OM stated, it interrupts the engine start if something is "seen" by the park assist. Those little eye pucks on the bumper we CLOGGED with dust and dirt. And that was just on the outside. Can't image what the back side of the bumper panel looked like.

So a thorough cleaning with a pressure washer and good blasts to the underside in Spearfish South Dakota, and not a single problem so far. I think another 3k+ miles all the way back to Florida. And great gas mileage for speeds and towing. Averaged 18.9 the whole way with the Range while towing an additional 1200lbs. Trailer, bike, gear, spouse, snacks.

Elated with the product, sooo much better to feel and hear all 8 cylinders working in concert. And for me, I've seen an increase in the average mileage. Minimal, but it's there. Last trip with same towing set up into the mountains was 15/16 MPG there and back. And probably because without the Range, when the car switched to AFM mode, I'd give it more gas to move it out of the AFM spectrum, or try to consistently tap shift. Hard to shift low when it sounds so good at higher RPMs!

Example of the dust and gravel - the back of the car was beige from this dust, just covering the whole bumper...

Can't say for sure, but a quick search of C5 showed a few others have had this Service Park Assist message. Probably not due to the massive amount of dirt and grime I subjected it to, but also not due to the Range device.

Since I had no change when unplugged, and tried several times over many minutes without the Range in, my gut tells me it's just a Chevy electrical "glitch".

At my next service I'm going to mention it and have them scan for codes. Just to see if it's stored or an issue they need to address. And monitor other threads that have had this message come up.

Mike

Edit to say running V2 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Bugnut; 09-10-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: update
Bugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #978
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
if this stuff is happening you have to turn ignition off, open and close the door and let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes (maybe even more) for everything to power down, then try it without the range.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #979
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
The sensors always beep with warnings as I back out of my garage. I recall I backed out a little faster than normal (was in a hurry) and maybe that contributed to it. I have been backing out slower and haven't run into it again.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #980
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Anyone with a 2013 SS A6 run into anymore problems now that the firmware has been updated a few times?

I really want to get this thing, but I read all these earlier posts of people getting all sorts of CEL warnings at times...thought I even read where someone couldn't start their car (reply #976 in this thread...gauges also malfunctioned it seems)?

I know it's been shown the codes that are thrown are phantom and aren't stored, but it seems something might be happening during the rare times this thing causes a glitch...and it's never really been explained what kind of effect this might be having on the car...

So...have all these early problems been wiped out? I'd be curious to hear specifically from 2013 SS owners what their experience has been if they are using a model with the latest firmware...
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #981
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Mine works fine, not sure how many times we have to say it....I would not leve home without it....
Old 09-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #982
goshawk823

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I have a '13 SS A6. I don't know if I have the latest version of the firmware or not, but I have not had any issues. I leave it in all the time. It's a great product.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #983
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkc02 View Post
Hi guys, well I have been reading all the reviews on this and finally said y not give it a try. Well ordered from apex and three days later I got it. Well I open box and nothing inside but thr module no invoice no instructions no nôthing. Went on line and really nothing to it other than they suggest only to plug in when car is off. So I did and off I go. Well all I can say is the arm is gone I tried every thing that I normally do and no hint of afm at all its gone. To all the reviews that claim car runs so much stronger as if tuned that's not true. No difference at all in performance at all runs the same no added power or performance at all it just runs the same just no hint of afm period. As far as gas mileage really I bought this car and do not care about gas mileage really u don't want this car if your worried about mileage. I am really debating on keeping it with no diff in performance at all. I usually ride in manual mode anyway so I don't deal with the afm anyway. The way everyone was talking making it seem like day and night difference I didn't see that at all. Just to have this device and to remember to plug and unplug it don't know if its worth the hassle or not.
Sounds to me that your car is stock and you haven't changed from the stock exhaust. Let me tell you, if you take the stock exhaust off and install a catback you won't last long without the Range disabling the AFM. I think you also may have been misled somewhat as far as the performance, its a seat of your pants thing. Your just not going to get some performance miracle when the device is designed to never alter the stock tune from the factory. It does improve throttle response because the computer isn't monitoring for a AFM state situation. You're going to have to bolt on some parts to get a noticeable gain in performance. Like I said, remove that center resonator with that stock exhaust and you're going to hate your life inside that car without the AFM being disabled. Aftermarket Catback, CAI, Vmax ported throttle body, and the Range plugged in completes that package without getting a tune and losing your warranty.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #984
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
I'm interested in purchasing an afm from a fellow c5 member however idk if it will effect my. 14 because there is a few electrical changes such as in the HuD and the dash. Please help
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #985
MrPace

Ordered mine early Friday afternoon...got it TODAY...not too shabby...

Plugged it in, drove it around, and man, is it sweet to not feel the AFM kicking in...driving slowly through 1st and 2nd, shortly after it shifted to 3rd, I would always feel a hesitation and hear that tell-tale noise...at first I thought something was wrong with my 2013 2SS...but thanks to this forum, I came to know nothing was wrong with my Camaro except for the fact GM put AFM on this engine...

But now...nothing but smoothness with the Range AFM Disable in place...

I've never used FTW before on a forum, but damn if I don't want to say:

RANGE AFM DISABLE --> F T W ! ! !

Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #986
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPace View Post

Plugged it in, drove it around, and man, is it sweet to not feel the AFM kicking in...driving slowly through 1st and 2nd, shortly after it shifted to 3rd, I would always feel a hesitation and hear that tell-tale noise...at first I thought something was wrong with my 2013 2SS...but thanks to this forum, I came to know nothing was wrong with my Camaro except for the fact GM put AFM on this engine...

just pulled the trigger and bought one off a fellow member. I am getting a tune but I did promise to buy one, so I'll use this in the meantime. I know it will be everything I want it to be and more, as I have been following this thread since the first page. will let you guys know how it does when it gets here!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #987
Arbgast

Drives: DRIVES 2014 2SS RS convertible
I have a guestion. Does the afm only kick in on 6th gear. Or will it kick in on any gear. Thanks, Terry
Arbgast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #988
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbgast View Post
I have a guestion. Does the afm only kick in on 6th gear. Or will it kick in on any gear. Thanks, Terry
Not just 6th.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #989
Adam @ Range

Drives: 2011 Tahoe, 1971 Corvette
Quote:

Like.
Adam @ Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #990
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Adam, Will this device work on the new Silverado 5.3l L83 motor?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #991
k818mn1

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Anyone with a 2013 SS A6 run into anymore problems now that the firmware has been updated a few times?

I really want to get this thing, but I read all these earlier posts of people getting all sorts of CEL warnings at times...thought I even read where someone couldn't start their car (reply #976 in this thread...gauges also malfunctioned it seems)?

I know it's been shown the codes that are thrown are phantom and aren't stored, but it seems something might be happening during the rare times this thing causes a glitch...and it's never really been explained what kind of effect this might be having on the car...

So...have all these early problems been wiped out? I'd be curious to hear specifically from 2013 SS owners what their experience has been if they are using a model with the latest firmware...
I bought a '13 SS A6 five months ago. I've been using the Range AFM Rev 3 for over four months with no issues. I keep it plugged in all the time, except for a couple of occasions when I've driven without it just to remind myself of how the AFM feels when it kicks in.
k818mn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #992
MrPace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbgast View Post
The earliest I have felt it kick in was immediately after going to 3rd gear, while accelerating rather slowly through 1st and 2nd...

Been driving with the RANGE in place for four days now, and have kept it plugged in the entire time, and totally loving all V8 all the time...
Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #993
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
I'm in the Range family as of TODAY. just got mine in the mail and im ready to feel the constant of completely V8 mode!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #994
Glen e

I am getting a C7 Vette and will be selling my V3 range for the camaro - PM me - $150 firm...

Adam - Is the vette Range ready yet? (LOL)
Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #995
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Metallic 2SS RS
Received mine about two weeks ago, promised to give all my thoughts.

Works, nice to not feel the lag, and as of today, no issues. (knock-on-wood)

I know others have given their opinions of change in gas mileage, will give you mine.
I believe I have lost about 1 to 1-1/2 mpgs. No highways trips to check, just my usual drive to work and around town trips. My drive to work is basically highway speeds, the around town is normal, not big city with lights every block.

From what I have read, AFM is supposed to save about 8-10%, so I guess my loss is about right. We have to expect a loss, as there is no way GM spends many millions on R&D and the AFM doesn't save something.

I know none of us bought these beasts for the gas mileage, but it is still nice to spend less driving.

All in all, I really enjoy the range, and love the flexibility to return to AFM for long highway trips if desired. (Do still wish it had an on/off switch though)

Car sounds and feels better, and that can only be a good thing.

So, I guess Adam can chalk me up as another satisfied customer.

2013 CRT 2SS RS – Heritage Grille, CAI, ZL1 Style Splitter, Chrome OEM Wheels.
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #996
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Received mine about two weeks ago, promised to give all my thoughts.

Works, nice to not feel the lag, and as of today, no issues. (knock-on-wood)

I know others have given their opinions of change in gas mileage, will give you mine.
I believe I have lost about 1 to 1-1/2 mpgs. No highways trips to check, just my usual drive to work and around town trips. My drive to work is basically highway speeds, the around town is normal, not big city with lights every block.

From what I have read, AFM is supposed to save about 8-10%, so I guess my loss is about right. We have to expect a loss, as there is no way GM spends many millions on R&D and the AFM doesn't save something.

I know none of us bought these beasts for the gas mileage, but it is still nice to spend less driving.

All in all, I really enjoy the range, and love the flexibility to return to AFM for long highway trips if desired. (Do still wish it had an on/off switch though)

Car sounds and feels better, and that can only be a good thing.

So, I guess Adam can chalk me up as another satisfied customer.
Told you and nice review.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #997
Adam @ Range

Drives: 2011 Tahoe, 1971 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I am getting a C7 Vette and will be selling my V3 range for the camaro - PM me - $150 firm...

Adam - Is the vette Range ready yet? (LOL)
Glen:
There is no reason to believe it will not work. Give it a try. We haven't seen the new vette yet.

Adam
Adam @ Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #998
Glen e

Adam- I want you to try it first....LOL
Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #999
MrPace

Five days driving with the RANGE on full time...and I have to say, I can't ever imagine going back to having AFM enabled...it makes such a difference (at least to me) when it comes to the FUN factor and driveability...not constantly feeling that junk kicking in at random (and not so random) intervals.

I probably should order another as a backup just in case they become unavailable in the future...
Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #1000
Camaro310

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Fully loaded
I got this magical device yesterday.
Works well,
My HUD phased in and out 2 times but other than that awesomeness.
I think that problem is gone or unrelated.
None the less worth mentioning
A+ work to the people at Range Tech,
Camaro310 is offline   Reply With Quote