Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedveins View Post
what is required for this system? would you need a different module for the rgb controller? or could some one just change the frequency to get it too work?
Our controllers are required to drive the LEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
I would love the entire setup shown in the first and second video. I wish you would have a set ready for the big show in texas coming up mid month next month I'd love to have it installed. PM me if you want another test vehicle as I have one of the best fabricators/installers working on my vehicle this week. Hands down awesome!
Thanks. We're just about complete with our testing. I doubt our timeline will meet with yours for next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I have his system installed in my car and I can tell you all that it is simply amazing.

The flexibility and options are endless. I love the fact that I can select a color to run such as orange, and then proceed to go in and fine tune the orange to make it lighter or darker shade to fit my taste, not just a default orange that I have to live with. Do I want my left halo to be yellow while my right halo is blue while my grill light is pink? No problem. Do I want to have these colors while I strobe my DRLs? No problem. It's very sweet.

The other cool thing is the brightness of the colors. Stock halos are difficult to see during the day but with this kit the halos are very noticeable. I actually tuned down the brightness on my white halos at night because they were so bright while they were shining on their own.

Joe is a great guy who has worked extremely hard on this product...the amount of time he and his son have put in is incredible. The best thing about it is they are both passionate about LEDs and Camaros...the great combination for our community!
Thanks JT. JT is one of our testers that is driving his car daily. Maybe he can help answer some of the questions.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #27
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
Linker239

Drives: 2010 VR 1LT RS
This looks really awesome!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #29
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Have you had any problems or glitches in your product...if so what?
and what brand of halos and led strips and etc are you using?

btw i cant stop reading this thread lol really exciting!

should also make a build sheet with all your lighting info for people that would like your exact setup...

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
Thanks JT. JT is one of our testers that is driving his car daily. Maybe he can help answer some of the questions.
If I know the answer or know I can help someone I most definitely will!

Here is another short video that I shot just cause. It will give you a small glimpse at the app that you will use to control the lights! The long list of things you see on the screen are programs that I have created and re named. Ones like "Orange Halos" and what not so I open them up and know exactly what I'm starting. I do not have to create the programs every time I want them on. They save in the app!

NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker239 View Post
This looks really awesome!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
Have you had any problems or glitches in your product...if so what?
and what brand of halos and led strips and etc are you using?

btw i cant stop reading this thread lol really exciting!

should also make a build sheet with all your lighting info for people that would like your exact setup...
Oh sure we've had a ton of problems and glitches in all of the prototypes and tests systems. The products are getting released very soon, and hopefully we don't run into any more. That is why we've been testing and fixing.

Good idea on my car's build sheet. I'll try to get that together. The halos are using 3W RGB LEDs, which replace the factory LED. This is basically the same as the JDP halos. The LED strips that I am using for underbody, grill and floorboards is a no-name brand that you can find on ebay in 15m spools.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
How do you tell which light is doing what/color while operating car. I can see getting in the car and hitting the key fob, but how will operator know if lights are actually on/off or paticular color??

For example with my current setup I have most of my lights running off one RGB box ie my Halos, under glow, fender and grill lights. These are used most often during the day and night. Other lighting mostly for shows. However, there is a small light underneatch my cupholder switch plate that glows in cupholder allowing me to know what Color/Settings lights running. This has been VERY helpful.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
If I know the answer or know I can help someone I most definitely will!

Here is another short video that I shot just cause. It will give you a small glimpse at the app that you will use to control the lights! The long list of things you see on the screen are programs that I have created and re named. Ones like "Orange Halos" and what not so I open them up and know exactly what I'm starting. I do not have to create the programs every time I want them on. They save in the app!

Wow nice video, I hope I can afford this!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #34
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
How do you tell which light is doing what/color while operating car. I can see getting in the car and hitting the key fob, but how will operator know if lights are actually on/off or paticular color??

For example with my current setup I have most of my lights running off one RGB box ie my Halos, under glow, fender and grill lights. These are used most often during the day and night. Other lighting mostly for shows. However, there is a small light underneatch my cupholder switch plate that glows in cupholder allowing me to know what Color/Settings lights running. This has been VERY helpful.
We thought hard about this. There are a couple of solutions. First, we recommend that you set your default colors to something safe. For instance, set halos to white, undercarriage off, etc. The master module is what receives the wifi and key fob signals. If the master module is either unplugged, or switched off, then the modules are unable to run any programs or other solid colors besides the default. Our master modules will come with a very short USB-style connector for power, and we'll be including a cigarette plug USB adapter. I like leaving the master in my center console, and unplug it when I'm driving. I could also see people hard-wiring the master, and put it on a switch. We also have devised a very simple way of keeping the center console power ports active at all times. We'll probably include this as well. It takes no more than 1 minute, and no tools. As soon as we have time, we'll do a DIY on this.

The second way is to include your indicator light into your programs. You can do this, but we suggest the first way. We're always open to suggestions too, if you think of a better way.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
If you need a test vehicle............ I'll be here

Been waiting on this for a while as well. I need new light controllers in my life, lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
What about a memory? So when it powers off and we restart it,it remembers the last settings. And will there be a way to store certain combo's.

Last edited by 2011 RJT; 03-20-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: can't spell for sh#t
2011 RJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #37
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
What about a memory? So when it powers off and we restart it,it remembers the last settings. And will there be a way to store certain combo's.
The driver modules (HP, LP, SL) store a default color (for RGB multi-color devices) or a default brightness (for single-color LEDs) that you can set or change. When the master commands it to default, or if it loses communication with the master (you unplug it), all outputs revert to their default color/brightness.

Programs are stored on your smartphone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc. When you start a program using your device, it tells the master what program type to play, including timing, colors, and channels. Once a program is playing, you can tuck away your phone or device. The master will keep playing that program. There is no limit to the number of saved programs. We will introduce later the concept of shows (a combination of programs). For now, you can simply start the combination of saved programs.

Additionally, the key fob can "store" 4 of your favorite programs. They're actually stored on the master. It is easy to copy a program for each of the buttons.

We'll show you soon how all of this is done. The app (for iOS) is complete, and we're working on the android app. The app is very simple to use. You can create new programs, and change the timings, channels, and colors live. It is really fun just creating new programs. When you find something you like, save it. For early adopters, they'll need an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Something with iOS 6.0 or later. Android will be available this summer. We couldn't hold the products any longer.

I know all of this sounds complicated, but it really isn't. We've made it very easy, yet powerful. We'll be making some videos to explain the more complicated features.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #38
CamaroI

Quote:
We thought hard about this. There are a couple of solutions. First, we recommend that you set your default colors to something safe. For instance, set halos to white, undercarriage off, etc. The master module is what receives the wifi and key fob signals. If the master module is either unplugged, or switched off, then the modules are unable to run any programs or other solid colors besides the default. Our master modules will come with a very short USB-style connector for power, and we'll be including a cigarette plug USB adapter. I like leaving the master in my center console, and unplug it when I'm driving. I could also see people hard-wiring the master, and put it on a switch. We also have devised a very simple way of keeping the center console power ports active at all times. We'll probably include this as well. It takes no more than 1 minute, and no tools. As soon as we have time, we'll do a DIY on this.

The second way is to include your indicator light into your programs. You can do this, but we suggest the first way. We're always open to suggestions too, if you think of a better way.

Hmmmm not sure I would want a module that I unplug and replug in every time. My setup would require something seemless and hard wired to stay on at all times. I would then control the on/off functions with the current switches from Emblem Pros (as shown in photo above). The Iphone App would be used to control specific color and strobe effect.

To be honest my current system works very well giving me full control/knowlege of what lights are currently on/off. However, the RGB boxes seem to all be crap. Most are IR keeping static colors intact, but a pain when controling at shows or any distance outside of car.

My biggest use for Night Owl is the ability to change colors from one app and not use multipe controllers. Not sure I would use strobing effect or breathing effect on a daily basis, but nice for shows.

Again one of my biggest concerns would be knowing which lights actually come on when using an iPhone app or key fob. Outside the car you can visually inspect, but while driving I could see being an issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
2011 RJT

Quote:
The driver modules (HP, LP, SL) store a default color (for RGB multi-color devices) or a default brightness (for single-color LEDs) that you can set or change. When the master commands it to default, or if it loses communication with the master (you unplug it), all outputs revert to their default color/brightness.

Programs are stored on your smartphone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc. When you start a program using your device, it tells the master what program type to play, including timing, colors, and channels. Once a program is playing, you can tuck away your phone or device. The master will keep playing that program. There is no limit to the number of saved programs. We will introduce later the concept of shows (a combination of programs). For now, you can simply start the combination of saved programs.

Additionally, the key fob can "store" 4 of your favorite programs. They're actually stored on the master. It is easy to copy a program for each of the buttons.

We'll show you soon how all of this is done. The app (for iOS) is complete, and we're working on the android app. The app is very simple to use. You can create new programs, and change the timings, channels, and colors live. It is really fun just creating new programs. When you find something you like, save it. For early adopters, they'll need an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Something with iOS 6.0 or later. Android will be available this summer. We couldn't hold the products any longer.

I know all of this sounds complicated, but it really isn't. We've made it very easy, yet powerful. We'll be making some videos to explain the more complicated features.
Thanks! I don't care about colors while driving,while driving the default will be set as a stock looking default. But what I don't get is I have to unplug it to shut it off? No on/off via remote?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Hmmmm not sure I would want a module that I unplug and replug in every time. My setup would require something seemless and hard wired to stay on at all times. I would then control the on/off functions with the current switches from Emblem Pros (as shown in photo above). The Iphone App would be used to control specific color and strobe effect.

To be honest my current system works very well giving me full control/knowlege of what lights are currently on/off. However, the RGB boxes seem to all be crap. Most are IR keeping static colors intact, but a pain when controling at shows or any distance outside of car.

My biggest use for Night Owl is the ability to change colors from one app and not use multipe controllers. Not sure I would use strobing effect or breathing effect on a daily basis, but nice for shows.
You sound like you got your system set up pretty well. The emblempros switches are nice, and I have been talking with them about a 1/2 monster since I don't need that many switches, yet would like to still have space in the console. I do need switches for a line-lock and a few other items.

I personally don't use the effects unless I am at a show or a group gathering. That is why it isn't a big deal to me to leave the master unplugged. I still get the default colors exactly the color that I want them. Our testers do use the effects daily however.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
CamaroI

Quote:
Thanks! I don't care about colors while driving,while driving the default will be set as a stock looking default. But what I don't get is I have to unplug it to shut it off? No on/off via remote?
Sounds like the key fob will do on/off depending if you have it wired hot or not.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #42
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Yes, the remote does allow you to turn on and off your system. But any program button will run that program. You don't want to accidentally turn on a program while you are driving. Maybe we can change it so that you have to turn on the system first with the middle button. We'll think about it.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #43
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Sounds like the key fob will do on/off depending if you have it wired hot or not.
Yeah, there are a lot of options here. Different options for different folks.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #44
CamaroI

Quote:
You sound like you got your system set up pretty well. The emblempros switches are nice, and I have been talking with them about a 1/2 monster since I don't need that many switches, yet would like to still have space in the console. I do need switches for a line-lock and a few other items.

I personally don't use the effects unless I am at a show or a group gathering. That is why it isn't a big deal to me to leave the master unplugged. I still get the default colors exactly the color that I want them. Our testers do use the effects daily however.
The Emblem Pro Monster works well along with Cup holder switches to be a master on/off controller, but desperatly needs the added piece of your design to pull all together when fine tuning colors and effects. As stated my biggest hassel is picking up mulitple remotes to change colors or having to dance around the car for RGB boxes to pick up signal. No doubt that is more ammusing than my strobing array of lights during a show.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #45
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
The HP module gets its power from the fuse box in the engine bay. There is a switch that we put next to the fuse box that has 3 settings. 1) On by ignition 2) Constant Power 3) Completely off

When at a show, option 2 is going to be the most desirable because the car will be off and you can run the lights the whole time.

Since my car is a DD, I keep it on option 1 to where when I turn my ignition on, the lights come on to default or whatever option I last left them on!

So you don't have to unplug anything to shut off the lights after driving. They will come on/shut off with your ignition as long as you keep that switch that position. Hope that helps!
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #46
2011 RJT

Quote:
The HP module gets its power from the fuse box in the engine bay. There is a switch that we put next to the fuse box that has 3 settings. 1) On by ignition 2) Constant Power 3) Completely off

When at a show, option 2 is going to be the most desirable because the car will be off and you can run the lights the whole time.

Since my car is a DD, I keep it on option 1 to where when I turn my ignition on, the lights come on to default or whatever option I last left them on!

So you don't have to unplug anything to shut off the lights after driving. They will come on/shut off with your ignition as long as you keep that switch that position. Hope that helps!
Sure does. That switch is a nice feature. I'm assuming the module is waterproof?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #47
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Subscribed!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #48
mac1903

Drives: 2012 AGM 2LT RS Camaro
Subscribed! Very interested in seeing the finished product...
Installed/Completed: Flat Black Powder Coated Rims/MRT 2.0 Catback Exhaust with Roto-FAB CAI/Showstoppers Sequential LED Side Mirrors and Front/Rear LED Side markerts/Technostalgia LED Sequential TailLights/Flat Black Chevy Emblem Incerts
mac1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #49
xVengeancex28

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
these look awesome
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #50
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Sure does. That switch is a nice feature. I'm assuming the module is waterproof?
I will have to say that the HP module included with the halo kit will be water-resistant. I don't think anyone wants to claim waterproof anymore. The SL and HP modules will be available separately too, and available with a water-resistant case or a non-water-resistant case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Subscribed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1903 View Post
Subscribed! Very interested in seeing the finished product...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post
these look awesome
Thanks!