Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
HOWFAST
 
HOWFAST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Villages,Fl.
Posts: 7
5TH and 6TH Gear Swap

I want to change 5th and 6th gears in my 1LE to ZL1 specification. Looking for a good transmission shop to do the work. I live Montana. Any recommendations will be helpful.
HOWFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,308
What would be the purpose for this swap? What are you trying to accomplish?

1le gear ratios 2.66:1, 1.78:1, 1.30:1, 1.00:1, 0.74:1, 0.50:1 final drive 3.91
zl1 gear ratios 2.66:1. 1.78:1, 1.30:1, 1.00:1, 0.80:1, 0.63:1 final drive 3.73
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
b20
 
Drives: 2013 1LE RS 1SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: barberton ohio
Posts: 316
I USE D&D PERFORMANCE
THEY ARE IN DETROIT AND DO GREAT WORK CHEAP TO
b20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by b20 View Post
I USE D&D PERFORMANCE
THEY ARE IN DETROIT AND DO GREAT WORK CHEAP TO
C'mon man, the guy said he lives in Montana(as in the state).
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.
ARH 1 7/8 headers, CAI, BMR 1.25 drop springs, JPSS Billet Bushings, Peddars Cradle Bushings, DSS driveshaft ...421 whp...so far.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
b20
 
Drives: 2013 1LE RS 1SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: barberton ohio
Posts: 316
I SHIP THEM TO HIM ALL THE TIME

THEY ARE WORTH THE SHIPPING
b20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
WHAMMO

 
WHAMMO's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
What would be the purpose for this swap? What are you trying to accomplish?

1le gear ratios 2.66:1, 1.78:1, 1.30:1, 1.00:1, 0.74:1, 0.50:1 final drive 3.91
zl1 gear ratios 2.66:1. 1.78:1, 1.30:1, 1.00:1, 0.80:1, 0.63:1 final drive 3.73
+1..
I dont think theres any need for that whatsoever. The 1LE has specific trans ratio very similar to the ZL1.

What are you planning to do with it? I guess you know what you are doing
__________________
TSP 231/236 111 cammed 1LE
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,826
It would honestly be a lot cheaper to buy the ZL1 transmission and sell yours.

But like the others said, what are you getting to do this for?
Seems like a waste of money.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
+1..
I dont think theres any need for that whatsoever. The 1LE has specific trans ratio very similar to the ZL1.

What are you planning to do with it? I guess you know what you are doing
If he is running an open road challenge or the Texas Mile it makes perfect sense....T

I'm gonna guess based on the OPs location this is for one of the following open road races:

http://www.sorcrace.com/

http://www.sscc.us/

-Matt
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
HOWFAST
 
HOWFAST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Villages,Fl.
Posts: 7
b20- Thanks for the D&D Performance Tip.
Drop speed- You got the right answer.
HOWFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
If he is running an open road challenge or the Texas Mile it makes perfect sense....T

I'm gonna guess based on the OPs location this is for one of the following open road races:

http://www.sorcrace.com/

http://www.sscc.us/

-Matt
Makes perfect sense in what way? What is the advantage.... to have 5th and 6th pull harder?

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Makes perfect sense in what way? What is the advantage.... to have 5th and 6th pull harder?

tramtwo posted this on the go
Essentially yes, the OP is the only one that can answer his exact needs/purpose for doing so but in stock trim 5th and 6th are overdrive gears to keep the EPA happy/ increase MPG. With the car limited to 155 it makes no difference in top speed. With the limiter removed the car will run out of HP before gearing.

I assume that the limiter is removed and this will be used to achieve terminal velocity at a quicker rate!

EDIT:...It can also prevent a car from falling out of its power band with a shift from 4th-5th gear

-Matt
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Essentially yes, the OP is the only one that can answer his exact needs/purpose for doing so but in stock trim 5th and 6th are overdrive gears to keep the EPA happy/ increase MPG. With the car limited to 155 it makes no difference in top speed. With the limiter removed the car will run out of HP before gearing.

I assume that the limiter is removed and this will be used to achieve terminal velocity at a quicker rate!

EDIT:...It can also prevent a car from falling out of its power band with a shift from 4th-5th gear

-Matt
Thanks.

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,773
You guys scared him away...

__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.
ARH 1 7/8 headers, CAI, BMR 1.25 drop springs, JPSS Billet Bushings, Peddars Cradle Bushings, DSS driveshaft ...421 whp...so far.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
1BadAction
Because: Street Car!!!
 
1BadAction's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 59
Sounds like the easier way to do this would be to drop to a 3.23 rear gear and use 1-5... This would also keep the driveshaft turning at a more reasonable RPM.

Does anyone actually use 6th for top end runs?
__________________
2013 1SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic Camaro - DD
1991 2500 Suburban - Roller cam'd high compression 454ci BBC tow monster -the build-
1979 16' Action Marine - Merc Racing 2.5XS
1BadAction is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.