Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,009
SOLO HF Cats

Anyone know for sure which of the Solo cats would work with the ZL1? The guy I contacted at Solo says he thinks the L99 cats should work the the A6 ZL1.

Any help would be appreciated ...
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,575
I have not seen anyone confirm fitment. I do know that the JBA midepips for the SS fit the ZL1.

The solo's in my mind are too much money. when I priced them they were like $550. you can get stainless power or texas speed o/r longtubes for $699 or so.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,009
Thanks, I was looking for something that would bolt up to the stock manifolds. I'm trying to avoid any tuning at this time.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
I am going with Kooks 1 7/8 and Kooks Green Cats. No tune is required on this and many of the SS guys have had no CEL come on because you are keeping your O2 sensors in place. I am going to do a stock dyno then a dyno with the headers and cats with stock exhaust here in the next few weeks. I am NOT going to tune.
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
I am going with Kooks 1 7/8 and Kooks Green Cats. No tune is required on this and many of the SS guys have had no CEL come on because you are keeping your O2 sensors in place. I am going to do a stock dyno then a dyno with the headers and cats with stock exhaust here in the next few weeks. I am NOT going to tune.
Cool, please post your results ... looking forward to what you find out.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
ZL1#216
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1996 Z28
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Rose, Louisiana
Posts: 25
I also am looking for exhaust "no tune" options. Has anyone installed the solo cats on a ZL1? If so what are the hp and sound improvements.?

I'm also interested in the Kooks headers when green cats option. I saw on another thread a comment that this option might cause the engine to run lean with the factory tune at WOT. If true, this option would not work for me since I attend open track days quite often.

I appreciate any information or insight anyone might have on either of these options.
ZL1#216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1#216 View Post
I also am looking for exhaust "no tune" options. Has anyone installed the solo cats on a ZL1? If so what are the hp and sound improvements.?

I'm also interested in the Kooks headers when green cats option. I saw on another thread a comment that this option might cause the engine to run lean with the factory tune at WOT. If true, this option would not work for me since I attend open track days quite often.

I appreciate any information or insight anyone might have on either of these options.
I don't understand how the car would run lean. The MAF should be able to compensate for these changes.
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,575
I have seen no tuner recomend longtubes without tune. the location of your front o2's change and usually the car can't compensate.

you couple in other mods like cai or other things it will get worse.

if you really want a no tune option I would try the JBA catted midepipe. if you did get a CEL it would be a rear 02 CEL and there are work arounds for that.

I have seen one member say he was running longtubes no tune and then about two days later he said he had to tune.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
ZL1#216
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1996 Z28
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Rose, Louisiana
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I have seen no tuner recomend longtubes without tune. the location of your front o2's change and usually the car can't compensate.

you couple in other mods like cai or other things it will get worse.

if you really want a no tune option I would try the JBA catted midepipe. if you did get a CEL it would be a rear 02 CEL and there are work arounds for that.

I have seen one member say he was running longtubes no tune and then about two days later he said he had to tune.
You make a good point about the primary O2 sensors.
ZL1#216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
ZL1 with green cats and Kooks LT
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_18.html
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
RoketRdr
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 387
The green cats are way too expensive. If you're making 650rwhp+ get cheap cats because you're gonna keep blowing them out anyway. Paying $1500 once a year for cats isn't economically wise when you can pick up a set of cheap cats for $250. If you're under 650rwhp and just like to spend money then buy them.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
The green cats are way too expensive. If you're making 650rwhp+ get cheap cats because you're gonna keep blowing them out anyway. Paying $1500 once a year for cats isn't economically wise when you can pick up a set of cheap cats for $250. If you're under 650rwhp and just like to spend money then buy them.
The only reason I want the green cats and long tubes is because I'm not going to modify the car to the extreme. Why would these cats blow out? The same thing should happen to oem cats if this is true?
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
RoketRdr
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 387
All cats will blow out. When you start making 650rwhp+ you will eventually blow the cats. This is why almost everyone running this power level or higher gets rid of the cats. What happens is they begin melting and the guts end up giving way. They can even plug off and cause engine damage.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
All cats will blow out. When you start making 650rwhp+ you will eventually blow the cats. This is why almost everyone running this power level or higher gets rid of the cats. What happens is they begin melting and the guts end up giving way. They can even plug off and cause engine damage.
So you are saying green cats and headers are going to blow out even keeping the car stock with no tune. I'm only doing headers, rotofab intake, and kooks green cats.
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
RoketRdr
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
So you are saying green cats and headers are going to blow out even keeping the car stock with no tune. I'm only doing headers, rotofab intake, and kooks green cats.
All cats eventually fail. But keeping your car mostly stock will make them last just as long as the factory cats would.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,009
Ordered a set of Solo cats today along with a set of QTP cut outs. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
JTWELL
 
JTWELL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M6 Ashen Gray ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 21
Hi SlingShot..Was thinking about installing some Solo's and noweeds on my ZL1.
Are you happy with the sound? Saw your video..sounds good
Would you say the sound produced is similar to headers on the Z?
Anymore vids or sound clips?
JTWELL is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.