Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 781
Another L99 baseline

So here is the sad reality...500 miles on the odometer, bone stock, 3/4 tank of gas (93 octane), DA 2900, 2 launch techniques used, stabilitrack off, TC off.

For those who are not familiar with DA...its a calculation between elevation, barometric pressure, temperature, and humidity. It was HOT and HUMID, it was around 90 deg and humidity was around 60% raising to 70% later in the evening.

I did 3 runs in a row straight off the street, then I let the car cool off 1 hour, then ran it 2 more times.

Best ET/mph in BOLD.

1st run
brake stall to 2000rpm
60' 2.191
1/8' 9.312
mph 76.34
1/4' 14.27
mph 100.366

2nd run
flash stall off idle
60' 2.126
1/8' 9.059
mph 78.152
1/4' 13.90
mph 102.34


3rd run
brake stall 2000rpm
60' 2.159
1/8 9.241
mph 76.628
1/4 14.183
mph 100.92

For comparison sake, if I corrected this best ET/mph to ET/MPH @ sea level
from Drag Times.

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
13.459 @ 105.729 MPH

Which I guess is somewhat in line with the car mags.

Video of Best Run...
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...9_06_19_23.flv
__________________
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,738
Thanks for the numbers... Interesting that 2k brake stall didn't help any.

Did you use Tap Shift or Sport/Competition mode...?
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
9c1ny
 
9c1ny's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 675
no offense man but those numbers suck, I have a little over 500 miles on my car currently and its much faster than those times................

I need to get mine to the track and click off a 12.9 while I am still stock
__________________
9c1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
mike@newera

 
mike@newera's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss L99 A6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 492
The L99 is going to benefit more from tuning and performance upgrades, it is definitely more detuned than the LS3 mchanically and by the PCM/TCM. We'll see as time goes on. I was very disappointed with my times and dyno numbers as well. See http://www.neweraperformance.net/def...ct&NID=6690416 for our resluts on our intake dyno numbers, no tricks here. A full thread is coming once we have pics etc. As we go on here with time, you will see some real fast L99's, trust me.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
9c1ny
 
9c1ny's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
The L99 is going to benefit more from tuning and performance upgrades, it is definitely more detuned than the LS3 mchanically and by the PCM/TCM. We'll see as time goes on. I was very disappointed with my times and dyno numbers as well. See http://www.neweraperformance.net/def...ct&NID=6690416 for our resluts on our intake dyno numbers, no tricks here. A full thread is coming once we have pics etc. As we go on here with time, you will see some real fast L99's, trust me.
Mike, I cant wait for a tune and the CAI, lmk asap!

__________________
9c1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
UsedTaHaveA68
 
UsedTaHaveA68's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1ny View Post
no offense man but those numbers suck, I have a little over 500 miles on my car currently and its much faster than those times................

I need to get mine to the track and click off a 12.9 while I am still stock
No offense but that response is really rude. And you know what they say on these internet forums...

If you don't have pictures, it didn't happen.

So go ahead and post those time slips.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
I have to say stock for stock the 5th gens were made to SELL and not be necessarily the fastest nor the slowest. I think gm kinda messed up with making more stripped down cars with all out power and mediocre mpg ratings with the 4th gens. The more I read the more I know how small the actual numbers of new car buyers are as big time racers.

Mods will make anything fast though beautiful car!

try stalling higher till right before the tires start to spin. I expect a little more out of your car.
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM
 
kdoske's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: louisiana
Posts: 950
l99 will rule in all good time
__________________
Order# NJPW8K
1SS/RS SIM Black Interior
1100 (original order date): 04/16/09
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
So here is the sad reality...500 miles on the odometer, bone stock, 3/4 tank of gas (93 octane), DA 2900, 2 launch techniques used, stabilitrack off, TC off.

For those who are not familiar with DA...its a calculation between elevation, barometric pressure, temperature, and humidity. It was HOT and HUMID, it was around 90 deg and humidity was around 60% raising to 70% later in the evening.

I did 3 runs in a row straight off the street, then I let the car cool off 1 hour, then ran it 2 more times.

Best ET/mph in BOLD.

1st run
brake stall to 2000rpm
60' 2.191
1/8' 9.312
mph 76.34
1/4' 14.27
mph 100.366

2nd run
flash stall off idle
60' 2.126
1/8' 9.059
mph 78.152
1/4' 13.90
mph 102.34


3rd run
brake stall 2000rpm
60' 2.159
1/8 9.241
mph 76.628
1/4 14.183
mph 100.92

For comparison sake, if I corrected this best ET/mph to ET/MPH @ sea level
from Drag Times.

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
13.459 @ 105.729 MPH

Which I guess is somewhat in line with the car mags.

Video of Best Run...
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...9_06_19_23.flv
I guess that sucks, but then again, this isn't the negative DA runs that people only like to post.

I bet the 05-09 GT's were running 14.0-14.5's @ ~97-99 mph.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,116
Ouch....for 400hp in the new Camaro, these times should all be at LEAST flat 13's....and SHOULD dip into the 12's.

I need to get my Camaro so I can see just how this will compare to my 4th Gen. That's going to be the only way.
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #11
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1ny View Post
no offense man but those numbers suck, I have a little over 500 miles on my car currently and its much faster than those times................

I need to get mine to the track and click off a 12.9 while I am still stock
Bottom line, I'm not happy with the times either, but I honestly think your over estimating what your car will do. "feeling" fast on the street is totally different than running a fast time at the track.

Guys be careful about what you hear and who you believe, alot of folks will come on here and quote fast times...and they may actually have a timeslip and video, but they may lie about mods, run nitrous when they aren't est.

The weather was terrible, extremely hot AND VERY humid, I didin't go there expecting great times, combine that with 3/4 tank of gas, and only 500 miles, it was a receipe for bad times. I hoped to have a better baseline run, so I could "start out" a little faster, but it is what it is.

I totally agree with the poster that said GM made these cars to sell not to perform...yeah, they perform OK, but they knew they needed to make $$ and they created a car they thought would move out of showrooms moreso than move down the 1/4 mile.
__________________
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ouch....for 400hp in the new Camaro, these times should all be at LEAST flat 13's....and SHOULD dip into the 12's.

I need to get my Camaro so I can see just how this will compare to my 4th Gen. That's going to be the only way.
I will be fairly surprised if you see any A6's running flat 13's bone stock on stock tires period. There may be a few up in NE run bottom 13's, there may be some in other areas dip into 12's with DR, but bone stock these A6's are weak...that exhaust is SUPER restrictive (way more so than the manual), and the tune SUCKS!

I'll be getting dyno numbers soon so make a comparison. Then its ON!
__________________
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ouch....for 400hp in the new Camaro, these times should all be at LEAST flat 13's....and SHOULD dip into the 12's.

I need to get my Camaro so I can see just how this will compare to my 4th Gen. That's going to be the only way.

Not with a DA of 3000 ft. (90 degree with high humidity).

His times really aren't that bad with a DA that high. His corrected time was 13.4 @ 106 mph. That's not bad. My best time in my 06 A4 GTO was 13.3 @ 105 mph on a perfect 68 degree day with low humidity.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Not with a DA of 3000 ft. (90 degree with high humidity).

His times really aren't that bad with a DA that high. His corrected time was 13.4 @ 106 mph. That's not bad. My best time in my 06 A4 GTO was 13.3 @ 105 mph on a perfect 68 degree day with low humidity.
I think once this thing gets some miles on it, and I get some "good" weather, throw on some DR, I could be real close to 12's. A corrected 13.4 would improve some just due to getting more miles on it, then with DR my 60' would come down...so if I 60'd 1.9 ....I'm saying 13.2 or better would be a shoe in, which is exactly where its suppose to run.

Matt (@ Tune Time) ran 13.2 @ 106.21 in 698 DA weather which corrects to a 13.17 @ 106.6 at sea level, which my corrected mph would be the same so generally speaking you'd say they are making very similar power (based on mph). Track prep, more miles on his car, DR could be reason for quicker ET.
__________________

Last edited by pharmd; 06-21-2009 at 07:17 AM.
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
I think once this thing gets some miles on it, and I get some "good" weather, throw on some DR, I could be real close to 12's. A corrected 13.4 would improve some just due to getting more miles on it, then with DR my 60' would come down...so if I 60'd 1.9 ....I'm saying 13.2 or better would be a shoe in, which is exactly where its suppose to run.

Matt (@ Tune Time) ran 13.2 @ 106.21 in 698 DA weather which corrects to a 13.17 @ 106.6 at sea level, which my corrected mph would be the same so generally speaking you'd say they are making very similar power (based on mph). Track prep, more miles on his car, DR could be reason for quicker ET.

I definately agree. Some guys might be having some tuning issues, but I don't think that's the case with everyone.

I knew that the Camaro coming out during the late Spring and Summer would create a lot of disappointment as far as track times.

But come this fall in cool dry air, guys will start to see the track times they were expecting (low 13s and some high 12s).

Don't forget there's been a lot of guys with LS3 M6's running slow track time. For whatever reason, that hasn't been reported. Its the L99 guys that are reporting their slow track time in the summer heat.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #16
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ouch....for 400hp in the new Camaro, these times should all be at LEAST flat 13's....and SHOULD dip into the 12's.

I need to get my Camaro so I can see just how this will compare to my 4th Gen. That's going to be the only way.
Few people will be happy with those stock times. The L99 does have potential though with mods. Only time will tell as to how good it will get.
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #17
SubSolar
 
SubSolar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Corona, California
Posts: 191
13.459 @ 105.729 MPH corrected is not bad considering the 2.1 60'. Would probably be 13.2 if not faster if you cut a 2.0.
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,656
Yeah, my best corrected tiem is 13.475 at 104.7mph. This was wit a 2.2 60' time, so if I could luanch better I'd be right at 13.1 or 13.0.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SAE HP/Torque Curves for L99 & LS3 ls2gto Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 40 05-16-2011 06:43 PM
LS3 vs L99? SGOS252382 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 34 09-18-2010 03:55 PM
Check your Order here bvonscott Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 665 06-29-2009 01:00 PM
L99 engine specifications Tran Wiki 0 10-19-2008 11:40 AM
L99 discussion The_Blur Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 85 07-25-2008 02:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.