Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Blacknight11

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
Help, Throttle body has oil in it

I have a 2011 SS with a maggie supercharger While changing my CAI the other day I found some oil laying in my throttle body. I have a catch can also. Is this normal or is this a sign that my TB is not properly installed and is this a bad sign of a bigger problem?
Blacknight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I would guess the catch can is not functioning properly.

Oil in your intake is not a good thing with a supercharger, I am pretty sure it can lead to detonation but may be wrong on that, still, not a GOOD thing anyway.

Very common problem with LS engines. Make sure your catch can is installed and functioning properly.

I put an elite engineering can on my L99 with Maggie and ran it for a few months, noticed there was just a slight film of oil still on the inside of the TB. Installed a second Elite can in-line along with the first and that solved the problem. May be a bit overkill but makes me feel better and looks pretty damn cool also.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

LS3 conversion, LPE dual fuel pump, Upgraded injectors, JRE Maggie Stage 2 upgrade kit, JRE smooth Idle Blower cam. Looking for 700 RWHP in the end.
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknight11 View Post
I have a 2011 SS with a maggie supercharger While changing my CAI the other day I found some oil laying in my throttle body. I have a catch can also. Is this normal or is this a sign that my TB is not properly installed and is this a bad sign of a bigger problem?
If you have a catch can that is working properly the oil could also be coming from the Clean side PCV if you don't have some form of breather or separator installed there.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
simon.w

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
First question ... Do you have a good catch can or an eBay special? If you have something like an RX or RX monster and its connected correctly then you shouldn't have oil getting into your TB.

Second question ... It you do have a reputable catch can, is it catching any oil and if so how much and how often do you drain it?

If you do have a good catch can and it is catching oil and letting some pass through then you may have broken ring lands. No catch can will be able to prevent all of the oils getting through. I would recommend a leak down test if this is the case to identify the problem. And don't put it off!

There are plenty of threads on the topic.
732rwhp 644 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley H-Beam Rods, Competition Valve Grind, Custom CMS Grind Comp Cam, Comp Cams Valve Springs, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, 1" 7/8 Stainless LT Headers & 3" Exhaust, ADM Twin Fuel Pump Kit, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, Cold Air Inductions Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote