Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #273
wnt2gofst
 
wnt2gofst's Avatar
 
Drives: all fast
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: columbus, ga
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
$56,550 (ZL1 Base)
-13,950 (LSA Engine)
+17,100 (LS7 Engine)
$59,700 (Z/28 Base)

And that's assuming the swap from Magnetic Ride control and all the amenities of the ZL1 are roughly equivalent in price to the suspension, seats, and difference in wiring harness price (which is really the only difference between the SS, ZL1 and Z/28). *See Note below.

So, call it $59,995 (which we all know that $5 makes a huge difference in people's perception of price/value) and there's your Base MSRP for the new Z/28.

*Note: What other differences are there in the two cars?
-The Z/28 rear seat construction by itself is probably less expensive to build than the ZL1/SS rear seat construction.
-The reduction in insulation is a reduction in price (albeit small).
-The difference in hood price (and other carbon fiber parts) is probably a significant cost difference from the ZL1 to the Z/28, which probably offsets the price difference of the Z/28 Recaro seats or the ceramic brakes.

And lets face it, if the Base MSRP is any higher than $60k, then the Camaro is beginning to encroach on Corvette pricing, which is probably not what Chevrolet/GM wants. I'm guessing Chevrolet wants a seamless transition from Camaro pricing to Corvette pricing, and I'm guessing the Base 2014 Corvette Stingray will still outperform the Base 2014 Camaro Z/28.

So, you'll end up with a lineup thusly:

$24,245 Camaro 1LS
$25,445 Camaro 2LS
$26,660 Camaro 1LT
$29,585 Camaro 2LT
$33,535 Camaro 1SS
$36,035 Camaro 1SS/1LE
$37,035 Camaro 2SS
$39,535 Camaro 2SS/1LE
$56,550 Camaro ZL1
$59,995 Camaro Z/28

$64,995 Corvette Stingray

I think the z28 is going to shit on the base stingray. Hell the ZL1 will. They predict 12.3's out the base stingray. At 450hp its not going to be a rocket ship. Best will be high 11's.

Just Another 700whp DD 5.0
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #274
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
$56,550 (ZL1 Base)
-13,950 (LSA Engine)
+17,100 (LS7 Engine)
$59,700 (Z/28 Base)

And that's assuming the swap from Magnetic Ride control and all the amenities of the ZL1 are roughly equivalent in price to the suspension, seats, and difference in wiring harness price (which is really the only difference between the SS, ZL1 and Z/28). *See Note below.

So, call it $59,995 (which we all know that $5 makes a huge difference in people's perception of price/value) and there's your Base MSRP for the new Z/28.

*Note: What other differences are there in the two cars?
-The Z/28 rear seat construction by itself is probably less expensive to build than the ZL1/SS rear seat construction.
-The reduction in insulation is a reduction in price (albeit small).
-The difference in hood price (and other carbon fiber parts) is probably a significant cost difference from the ZL1 to the Z/28, which probably offsets the price difference of the Z/28 Recaro seats or the ceramic brakes.

And lets face it, if the Base MSRP is any higher than $60k, then the Camaro is beginning to encroach on Corvette pricing, which is probably not what Chevrolet/GM wants. I'm guessing Chevrolet wants a seamless transition from Camaro pricing to Corvette pricing, and I'm guessing the Base 2014 Corvette Stingray will still outperform the Base 2014 Camaro Z/28.

So, you'll end up with a lineup thusly:

$24,245 Camaro 1LS
$25,445 Camaro 2LS
$26,660 Camaro 1LT
$29,585 Camaro 2LT
$33,535 Camaro 1SS
$36,035 Camaro 1SS/1LE
$37,035 Camaro 2SS
$39,535 Camaro 2SS/1LE
$56,550 Camaro ZL1
$59,995 Camaro Z/28

$64,995 Corvette Stingray

I sure hope the Stingray doesn't start at 64,995..
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #275
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,850
$62,828.28

__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #276
G8GT4now
 
G8GT4now's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 SS Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
$56,550 (ZL1 Base)
-13,950 (LSA Engine)
+17,100 (LS7 Engine)
$59,700 (Z/28 Base)

And that's assuming the swap from Magnetic Ride control and all the amenities of the ZL1 are roughly equivalent in price to the suspension, seats, and difference in wiring harness price (which is really the only difference between the SS, ZL1 and Z/28). *See Note below.

So, call it $59,995 (which we all know that $5 makes a huge difference in people's perception of price/value) and there's your Base MSRP for the new Z/28.

*Note: What other differences are there in the two cars?
-The Z/28 rear seat construction by itself is probably less expensive to build than the ZL1/SS rear seat construction.
-The reduction in insulation is a reduction in price (albeit small).
-The difference in hood price (and other carbon fiber parts) is probably a significant cost difference from the ZL1 to the Z/28, which probably offsets the price difference of the Z/28 Recaro seats or the ceramic brakes.

:
I think you are leaving out the high cost of those carbon ceramic brakes on the Z/28.
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #277
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
I think you are leaving out the high cost of those carbon ceramic brakes on the Z/28.
and the 3K dollar tires, and the wheels,
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #278
Loading.....
 
Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now
I think you are leaving out the high cost of those carbon ceramic brakes on the Z/28.
Exactly! People need to come back down to reality. Those Carbon Ceramic brakes are not cheap (Ask the ZR1 guys how much a brake job cost). If you are on the fence about price, more than likely you cannot afford it (especially when you think it will be less than low 50k). Base price is one thing but when you have a lot of exotic materials on a car, running cost and maintenance will be even more expensive.

My guess is MSRP: $59,995.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #279
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,850
The struts/shocks are pretty exotic too....

Recaro's are ~$3000 option on CTS-V. Different seat than the Z/28 seats, but with the rear seat mod, it may be higher cost.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #280
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I sure hope the Stingray doesn't start at 64,995..
I think you're right. Considering how much overlap there already is in the pricing of the Corvettes and Camaros, I'm guessing that should actually be $54,995.

Or do you think less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
I think you are leaving out the high cost of those carbon ceramic brakes on the Z/28.
Okay, give me a difference in price between the ZL1 brake system and the new Z/28 brake system.

In other words, find a dollar value for the ZL1 brake system, then estimate a dollar value of the carbon ceramic system that's planned, and determine a dollar value difference, and I'll throw it on my estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
and the 3K dollar tires, and the wheels,
How much do you think the ZL1 tires and wheels cost? Or do you honestly believe the Z/28 wheels and tires cost $3,000 more than the current ZL1 wheels and tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
Exactly! People need to come back down to reality. Those Carbon Ceramic brakes are not cheap (Ask the ZR1 guys how much a brake job cost). If you are on the fence about price, more than likely you cannot afford it (especially when you think it will be less than low 50k). Base price is one thing but when you have a lot of exotic materials on a car, running cost and maintenance will be even more expensive.

My guess is MSRP: $59,995.
Wait, so, you're saying my estimate was not based in reality, and yet you came up with the same MSRP as me?
__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #281
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic
 
f5journal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: aiken, sc
Posts: 2,021
Z06 Corvette starts at $75K

Would they base price a Z/28 less? because "Camaro" and less overall platform cost at this point in time...
...or more because it is actually more technically advanced is some areas.
__________________
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #282
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,643
Well, for the 2014 model year lineup, will the Corvette's even have a Z06 yet?
__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #283
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,850
There are too many unknown variables... like how much more does a low piece count wiring harness vs. a production high piece count production harness. Same with the glass... same with the A/C option labor... same with the exotic brakes/rubber/strut/shock/wheel/tire.

When GM orders 100,000 items, it's cheaper than ordering 5,000. There will be additional labor involved in the build sequence.

Too many variables to nail it down.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #284
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic
 
f5journal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: aiken, sc
Posts: 2,021
Scooter, correct. Maybe 2013 Z06 irrelevant

Twisty...likely correct also. Notice how a production Camaro grille is less than $100, but the Heritage grille is over $200 for a simple piece of plastic that should be the same.

GFX side skirts sky high, ZL-1 cheap GFX front splitter $900 but you can buy the whole ZL-1 front end for that
__________________
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #285
Loading.....
 
Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter
Wait, so, you're saying my estimate was not based in reality, and yet you came up with the same MSRP as me?
Were did I say your estimates were not based in reality? I did not quote you - I was quoting another guy that mentioned something you left out. The reality part was geared towards the people that were guessing below 50K. You guessed high 50's - which was my guess from the jump.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #286
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I think you're right. Considering how much overlap there already is in the pricing of the Corvettes and Camaros, I'm guessing that should actually be $54,995.

Or do you think less?
54,XXX was and still is my "guess" for the base stingray. Only time will tell on that one.
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #287
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

How much do you think the ZL1 tires and wheels cost? Or do you honestly believe the Z/28 wheels and tires cost $3,000 more than the current ZL1 wheels and tires?
Well from what I have seen online the ZL1 OEM tires would cost 1434 (TireRack) to replace all 4. The Z/28 tires 2720 (from what I have seen here on C5) for all 4, so theres 1300 right there in rubber.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #288
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
There are too many unknown variables... like how much more does a low piece count wiring harness vs. a production high piece count production harness. Same with the glass... same with the A/C option labor... same with the exotic brakes/rubber/strut/shock/wheel/tire.

When GM orders 100,000 items, it's cheaper than ordering 5,000. There will be additional labor involved in the build sequence.

Too many variables to nail it down.
And this makes sense too. Economies of scale are always interesting to try and guess at when it comes to automobiles because there are so many variables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Scooter, correct. Maybe 2013 Z06 irrelevant

Twisty...likely correct also. Notice how a production Camaro grille is less than $100, but the Heritage grille is over $200 for a simple piece of plastic that should be the same.

GFX side skirts sky high, ZL-1 cheap GFX front splitter $900 but you can buy the whole ZL-1 front end for that
While the cost to consumer to buy the part from GM is inflated, I doubt the prices you see on our end are anywhere near what the manufacturer gets them for

So, while they may charge double for a heritage or ZL1 grille than they do for a "regular" SS grille, do you really think the production cost has as large of a variance?

Maybe they just price it that way to dissuade people from buying an SS and then "upgrading" to a ZL1 by buying all the parts separate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
Were did I say your estimates were not based in reality? I did not quote you - I was quoting another guy that mentioned something you left out. The reality part was geared towards the people that were guessing below 50K. You guessed high 50's - which was my guess from the jump.
Haha, gotcha. I was confused, forgive me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
54,XXX was and still is my "guess" for the base stingray. Only time will tell on that one.
And in keeping with the current generation, that number does make sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Well from what I have seen online the ZL1 OEM tires would cost 1434 (TireRack) to replace all 4. The Z/28 tires 2720 (from what I have seen here on C5) for all 4, so theres 1300 right there in rubber.
When I first got my Camaro in 2009, the tires were impossible to find. So, everywhere was selling the fronts for about $400 each and the rears for about $520 each.

If you look right now, you can get them for almost exactly half that.

I haven't done much research, but do you think those prices on tirerack could be a little inflated just because there's not many cars out there using those Pirelli PZero Trofeo R 305/30ZR19 tires yet?

I have absolutely no idea if that's relevant or not, but I'm just throwing it out there.
__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #289
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,033
Base starts at $59, 995
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.