Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #341

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Glancing throught this thread there seems to be more Dodge and Ford guys who are stoked about this car than Chevy guys...lol...Interesting...I hope the other brands try to "catch-up"...It's good for everyone...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #342
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
These are going to be garage queens that see very very minimal track time. The ones that want to track to find tenths in the corners have the ability and do build their own cars, and most of them can even see the significance of just buying a 1SS and modding it how they choose. Don't kid yourselves, it's a great car, but maybe 10 of the 2000 sold will see a track day. For those of you who will be able to afford one, enjoy it, it is meant to be driven!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #343
Mikes SS

The dodge and Ford guys are stoked not because they are gonna buy one, but because they now have hopes that their brand will come to the table with something competitive.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #344
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
The dodge and Ford guys are stoked not because they are gonna buy one, but because they now have hopes that their brand will come to the table with something competitive.
I read in Motor Trend that Dodge has already announced they were going to come up with their own version for the Challenger, now that the Barracuda has been delayed.

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #345
Jim968

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Quote:
These are going to be garage queens that see very very minimal track time.

Don't kid yourselves, it's a great car, but maybe 10 of the 2000 sold will see a track day.
I disagree, and here's why.

In 1993 and 1994 Porsche built a 911 model called the RS America. The car was built as a street legal track car. It had uprated suspension, brakes, aero, wheels and tires. It also had significantly reduced weight from deleted AC, power steering, radio/stereo, cruise control, sunroof etc. Rear seats were removed and replaced with light weight carpet. Even the door handles were replaced with cloth pull straps. Porsche built only 701 of these cars, but did people hoard them as garage queens and collector items? Hell no. Virtually all of them saw track duty. When I started doing track days in 1996 I would see several of these cars at every event I attended. Even today almost 20 years after they were introduced I canít go to a PCA event without seeing at least one running around the track. Many have been modified into full blown race cars.

Why should it be any different with the Z/28?
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #346
Forty5th

Drives: Camaro
No, I don't think GM made a mistake. The primary buyers of Z/28 is for future owners who already have a DD and will seriously track/race the Z therefore using it for its primary role... or just garage/occasionally cruise it. Chances are this may even be a 2nd, 3rd, or nth toy as well. If you don't fall into any of these categories then at least you have plenty of other Camaro choices. So again, no, IMO I don't think GM made a mistake by making the Z/28 a track car as its primary objective.
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #347

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post

In 1993 and 1994 Porsche built a 911 model called the RS America. The car was built as a street legal track car. It had uprated suspension, brakes, aero, wheels and tires. It also had significantly reduced weight from deleted AC, power steering, radio/stereo, cruise control, sunroof etc. Rear seats were removed and replaced with light weight carpet. Even the door handles were replaced with cloth pull straps. Porsche built only 701 of these cars, but did people hoard them as garage queens and collector items? Hell no. Virtually all of them saw track duty. When I started doing track days in 1996 I would see several of these cars at every event I attended. Even today almost 20 years after they were introduced I canít go to a PCA event without seeing at least one running around the track. Many have been modified into full blown race cars.

Hell, they still race original Shelby Cobras...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #348
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Hell, they still race original Shelby Cobras...lol...
Here is the press release for those Porsches.
http://www.rsamerica.net/images/OEM_...an92_P1of1.pdf

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #349
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
I have a 1st gen Z but its going to my son, don't want to work on it/restore any more, I guess I am lazy. Thinking about adding the Z/28 but I think I would save the tires for real track events (that I really wouldn't go to lol ) and get some wheels/tires to drive on the street....
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #350
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Good question. Seems like there's an entire house of people that could have done so instead of lobbying all this time for GM to produce a new version.

Look, I am as happy as the next guy that GM did produce this car, but I also understand why a lot of people aren't. Yes, the original z/28 was built for a specfic purpose, but for the vast majority of people not born in the 1940's/'50's the Z28 name represents something else entirely.
There are any number of Camaro's available for any Camaro fan, why can't the Z/28 be a streetable track car like it was originally designed? Should the Z/28 be just like a ZL1 or an SS?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #351
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
These are going to be garage queens that see very very minimal track time. ..... Don't kid yourselves, it's a great car, but maybe 10 of the 2000 sold will see a track day. For those of you who will be able to afford one, enjoy it, it is meant to be driven!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post

Jim is bang on and I remember that car well! In fact, there are a few on this board who race 100K plus cars on a regular basis.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #352
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
This assumes they are still building LS7s. Are they? They shut down Wixom and moved the plant to BG. They never really detailed what was going there. With C6 production done, that would imply both LS7 and LS9s are shut down as would be the LS3 with dry sump. So what moved to BG? If the Corvette does't get the LS7 then why would it's production move to BG?
The key word in my statement was "processed"...NOT written/accepted...

Processing an order through build is contingent on having all the necessary components, available...

I would say the volume restricter, and therefore the price/content decider, was the number of LS7s available...or NOT available. Supply/Demand curves were adjusted accordingly...and THAT is why we don't have the choice of a factory-assembled 1LE-LS7...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #353
Mikes SS

[QUOTE=Jim968;6358662]I disagree, and here's why.

Why should it be any different with the Z/28?[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm that's easy...those are not Z/28's! I am trying to see the validity of your post but they are not one in the same..not even remotely sought after as are early Z's or COPO's and such..
Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #354
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:

Hmmmm that's easy...those are not Z/28's! I am trying to see the validity of your post but they are not one in the same..not even remotely sought after as are early Z's or COPO's and such..
You are starting to lose me. You state that nobody is going to race these because they are too expensive and further, they will all be garage queens. Then when Jim points out that expensive performance cars are actually raced, you state that his point is invalid because his example is a Porsche and not a Z/28?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #355
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The GM precedent for de-contenting/price increase was the 1LE, circa Gen-4, when A/C was standard equipment on Z28-Formula but the 1LE option (initially) precluded the C60 feature...at no reduction in price. In fact, 1LE was Extra Cost...

http://www.camarosource.ca/rare_specialty/1le/

Porsche actually had the 911 Club Sport (decontented) version out in the '80s.

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-30-2013 at 02:16 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #356
Mikes SS

It's not necessarily the price of the car that will make these garage queens, it will be the fear of price of upkeep/fear of depreciation if its driven/tracked...read the posts, some even say they are gonna buy a different set of wheels to cruise around town and garage it the rest if the time...the car is meant to be driven and I promise you some are treating this as its gonna be buried with them. Sure you can hear in the tone of my posts a hint of jealousy, but I have worked my ass of for what I have and saved where I could in hopes of a 5th gen Z, had faith it would come out but sadly I fall too short of the social agenda I guess.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #357
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
It's not necessarily the price of the car that will make these garage queens, it will be the fear of price of upkeep/fear of depreciation if its driven/tracked...read the posts, some even say they are gonna buy a different set of wheels to cruise around town and garage it the rest if the time...the car is meant to be driven and I promise you some are treating this as its gonna be buried with them. Sure you can hear in the tone of my posts a hint of jealousy, but I have worked my ass of for what I have and saved where I could in hopes of a 5th gen Z, had faith it would come out but sadly I fall too short of the social agenda I guess.
Doesn't mean you don't have a shot at it in the future as either a 2nd hand owner, or if you acquire enough wealth to purchase it first-hand.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote