Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars

Old 10-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
benjamin.i.campbell

Drives: 2011 camaro v6 RS
Catback vs Axelback

Is there a true difference in power if any power difference ( or any added power with either )
I can't find any differences myself. Any help?
benjamin.i.campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
OMEN

Drives: Camaro 2014 SS
the headers makes the difference
but axle or cat r da same
OMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 - Bumblebee
Nah no real power difference with exhaust, despite what people may say

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse

Drives: 2013 chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin.i.campbell View Post
Is there a true difference in power if any power difference ( or any added power with either )
I can't find any differences myself. Any help?
all depends on your car....

a v6 system has a more restrictive exhaust....so naturally opening it up making it straight through will net 7-10 rwhp on any dyno....

the answers you got are from SS owners, aka V8 drivers. and one of the v8's the l99 or the ls3 has a straight through exhaust. this was posted a while back

the other actually has a small bit of muffling and restriction inside and is not STRIGHT THROUGH IN DESIGN. so you had someone saying everything is straight through and no gains to be had, which was misleading information and surely did NOT apply to all and posted these...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=104

so honestly the results vary from car to car. I did my research and didn't just take the first answers when I first got on the forum. a lot of people tend to overlook that not everyone has the same model and hence the results for mods will differ and vary.

according to some on the forums, intake and exhaust does nothing but add noise, but when you start through a lot of the info posted, and see companies have done dynos and research on aftermarket companies some that they sell even, you'll see basic gains are out there.

worth, will be up to you. most catbacks are 950-1200$ on avg... axlebacks about half of that. is 7-10rwhp and some weight reduction worth paying that much? some will say yes, some will say no. personally for my car and how I use it...yes. others drive their cars like guys who only take their 100K-million dollar supercars to starbucks on a sat morning, to me that's boring. but its my preference.

the main restriction is the rear two mufflers on many cars, especially the v6. so one could get away with axle backs, but then you tend to look at the pipes from the H pipe and back...and the size fluctuates 2.5 and down to under 2 inches. remember exhaust will only flow as good as its smallest point.

most aftermarket companies for the v6 is 2.25 -2.5 all the way through with most erring on the 2.5inch side....

having a v6, yes, you will net some gains from an exhaust upgrade. its minimal, and basically you are simply removing a restriction in the mufflers and some areas of the pipe. make the car more efficient, the more power it will gain back from operational losses.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 07-10-2015 at 05:04 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
all depends on your car....

a v6 system has a more restrictive exhaust....so naturally opening it up making it straight through will net 7-10 rwhp on any dyno....

the answers you got are from SS owners, aka V8 drivers. and one of the v8's the l99 or the ls3 has a straight through exhaust. this was posted a while back

the other actually has a small bit of muffling and restriction inside and is not STRIGHT THROUGH IN DESIGN. so you had someone saying everything is straight through and no gains to be had, which was misleading information and surely did NOT apply to all and posted these...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=104

so honestly the results vary from car to car. I did my research and didn't just take the first answers when I first got on the forum. a lot of people tend to overlook that not everyone has the same model and hence the results for mods will differ and vary.

according to some on the forums, intake and exhaust does nothing but add noise, but when you start through a lot of the info posted, and see companies have done dynos and research on aftermarket companies some that they sell even, you'll see basic gains are out there.

worth, will be up to you. most catbacks are 950-1200$ on avg... axlebacks about half of that. is 7-10rwhp and some weight reduction worth paying that much? some will say yes, some will say no. personally for my car and how I use it...yes. others drive their cars like guys who only take their 100K-million dollar supercars to starbucks on a sat morning, to me that's boring. but its my preference.

the main restriction is the rear two mufflers on many cars, especially the v6. so one could get away with axle backs, but then you tend to look at the pipes from the H pipe and back...and the size fluctuates 2.5 and down to under 2 inches. remember exhaust will only flow as good as its smallest point.

most aftermarket companies for the v6 is 2.25 -2.5 all the way through with most erring on the 2.5inch side....

having a v6, yes, you will net some gains from an exhaust upgrade. its minimal, and basically you are simply removing a restriction in the mufflers and some areas of the pipe. make the car more efficient, the more power it will gain back from operational losses.
So is the Upper picture from the SS and the lower pictures from the V6? Very interesting . Nice post