Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars

Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars Camaro5 Sponsors' Camaro Build/Poroject Showcase

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #126
2SSRS@Gen5diy
My other car is 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,114
I was asked to throw my 2 cents in as far as i know removing air bags will throw light and code's
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #127
snickerdoodle
 
Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 255
can you not just tune the airbags out?
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #128
SSMickey
SECC
 
SSMickey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia S.C.
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
can you not just tune the airbags out?
Not really. You can use an airbag simulator though. The computer will think the airbag is there and not throw a light.
__________________
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #129
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to set a relay or something so that we don't get the airbag light popping on?

Also, does anyone know if removing the seat belts will throw a light?
Seatbelt warning will ding unless you connect the wires in the base. Simple way is to cut the male lap belt connector off and leave it permanently in the base. Otherwise soldering the wires should close the circuit.

Airbags the light will go on unless you use resistors, no idea what size, or just remove the light from the back of the dash.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #130
LC
ou mai gad
 
LC's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 2SS x2
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MX
Posts: 632
Just install a racepack
__________________
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #131
Justin Moreno
 
Justin Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R shotgun
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
I was asked to throw my 2 cents in as far as i know removing air bags will throw light and code's
for chiming in Ofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
can you not just tune the airbags out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Not really. You can use an airbag simulator though. The computer will think the airbag is there and not throw a light.
I've heard of airbag simulators. Not sure exactly how they work. Someone on the forums was going to try them out but hasn't reported back yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Seatbelt warning will ding unless you connect the wires in the base. Simple way is to cut the male lap belt connector off and leave it permanently in the base. Otherwise soldering the wires should close the circuit.

Airbags the light will go on unless you use resistors, no idea what size, or just remove the light from the back of the dash.
Synner, great info as always. I don't think we have to worry too much about the chime since we are taking out all the speakers LOL. With new seats coming soon, we removed the all the seat belt mechanisms. So whatever solution has to be electrical. Closing the circuit sounds like our best bet.

We talked about just removing the bulbs behind the gauges. We'll try to keep that our last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Just install a racepack
Hmmmmmmmm..... I'll talk to Nathan LOL
__________________
Justin Moreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #132
SSMickey
SECC
 
SSMickey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia S.C.
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
I've heard of airbag simulators. Not sure exactly how they work. Someone on the forums was going to try them out but hasn't reported back yet
They plug in place of the air bag and complete the airbag circuit, so the computer thinks the airbag is there. There actually for testing the airbag circuit without the risk of blowing a bag. Not supposed to be used to remove an airbag, but on a pure track car, what the heck, the car is not street legal anyway, and you certainly don't want the risk of setting off a bag.
__________________
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #133
Nathan Moreno

 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
They plug in place of the air bag and complete the airbag circuit, so the computer thinks the airbag is there. There actually for testing the airbag circuit without the risk of blowing a bag. Not supposed to be used to remove an airbag, but on a pure track car, what the heck, the car is not street legal anyway, and you certainly don't want the risk of setting off a bag.
SSMickey, I think we found a solution for the air bag deal. It will be a little while before we can confirm, LOL.

In our quest to improve the cars handling, one of the area of weight reduction was the seats. We have decided to go with the Cobra Misano Anniversary edition. They weigh only 24 lbs each and are consistent with the build level that we are shooting for. I fell in love with these seats when I first saw them at SEMA a few years ago. The seats will be coming from England, and we are working with Cobra on the idea of embroidering the G5.R logo on the seats (See pic below)

Name:  Misano_Anniversary.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  57.4 KB


Name:  CobraMisano30Back.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  54.5 KB

Hoping to have the car back as a roller in the next week as we are going to be building a roll cage for it.




.
__________________

Last edited by Nathan Moreno; 05-30-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #134
Nessal


 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 2,265
Your biggest enemy is weight. I believe a wise man once said, "Adding power makes you faster in a straight line, reducing weight makes you faster everywhere." or something along those lines.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #135
Nessal


 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 2,265
Also I think taking off 400lbs is going to be a very difficult task. I remember reading someone that had a dedicated stripped down 5th gen and it weighed in at 3500 wet. Regardless, very interested in seeing the results.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #136
The Stig



 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: out of the ashes
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 26,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Also I think taking off 400lbs is going to be a very difficult task. I remember reading someone that had a dedicated stripped down 5th gen and it weighed in at 3500 wet. Regardless, very interested in seeing the results.
That would be Doc
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #137
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13
 
kjkjr27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Also I think taking off 400lbs is going to be a very difficult task. I remember reading someone that had a dedicated stripped down 5th gen and it weighed in at 3500 wet. Regardless, very interested in seeing the results.
So far from what both Nathan and Justin have done I think they will be able to reach their goal.
__________________
kjkjr27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #138
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
That would be Doc
Mine isn't stripped at all; it still has the full stock interior and I'm at 3688 with a full tank. Nathan is easily taking out enough weight to be near or at 3,400 lbs. The problem is when you start adding the systems you need for a dedicated track car, like the roll cage, trans oil cooler, diff oil cooler, etc. and the extra associated fluids and support pieces. Those of course add weight back but still, even with that I think he can achieve 3,400 lbs.

I received a reply from Jim at Optic Armor:

"We do not have the weights on the sides and qtrs at this time however our front 3/16” window weighs 11lbs and the rear window weighs 6lbs which is a net savings of approx 27 lbs. If you did do all the windows you would easily see a 50lbs reduction in weight. As for rolling them up and down they will withstand the motion of such however you will need someone who is experienced with polycarbonate windows to install them due to some minor issues with installing side windows in a door that does not have a full frame. Let me know if you have any additional questions, thanks again!"

I'm guessing the door glass has to be about the same weight as the rear window. Quarters probably don't weigh all that much. So it looks like front and sides should be about 50 lbs of weight reduction. And that's staying with the same thickness as the factory glass which is 3/16". If you wanted to go down to 1/8" on the sides you could probably save another few pounds but then you have slight fitment issues with gaps and seals. Keeping the factory rear window which has the rear defogger grid and radio antenna in it would only be a difference of about 9 lbs which is more than acceptable on a car that's not totally dedicated to track use. Plus that's 9 lbs in the back which is already lighter than the front, so pulling 50 lbs out of the front/middle helps to slightly move the weight balance for the car towards 50/50 which is ideal. And that's removing 50 lbs way up above the roll center which helps lower that and lessen body roll.

Going by their price list online it would be $940 plus shipping to do front and sides. Hmmm....... decisions decisions....
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #139
The Stig



 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: out of the ashes
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 26,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Mine isn't stripped at all; it still has the full stock interior and I'm at 3688 with a full tank. Nathan is easily taking out enough weight to be near or at 3,400 lbs. The problem is when you start adding the systems you need for a dedicated track car, like the roll cage, trans oil cooler, diff oil cooler, etc. and the extra associated fluids and support pieces. Those of course add weight back but still, even with that I think he can achieve 3,400 lbs.

I received a reply from Jim at Optic Armor:

"We do not have the weights on the sides and qtrs at this time however our front 3/16” window weighs 11lbs and the rear window weighs 6lbs which is a net savings of approx 27 lbs. If you did do all the windows you would easily see a 50lbs reduction in weight. As for rolling them up and down they will withstand the motion of such however you will need someone who is experienced with polycarbonate windows to install them due to some minor issues with installing side windows in a door that does not have a full frame. Let me know if you have any additional questions, thanks again!"

I'm guessing the door glass has to be about the same weight as the rear window. Quarters probably don't weigh all that much. So it looks like front and sides should be about 50 lbs of weight reduction. And that's staying with the same thickness as the factory glass which is 3/16". If you wanted to go down to 1/8" on the sides you could probably save another few pounds but then you have slight fitment issues with gaps and seals. Keeping the factory rear window which has the rear defogger grid and radio antenna in it would only be a difference of about 9 lbs which is more than acceptable on a car that's not totally dedicated to track use. Plus that's 9 lbs in the back which is already lighter than the front, so pulling 50 lbs out of the front/middle helps to slightly move the weight balance for the car towards 50/50 which is ideal. And that's removing 50 lbs way up above the roll center which helps lower that and lessen body roll.

Going by their price list online it would be $940 plus shipping to do front and sides. Hmmm....... decisions decisions....
Do you know if they'll give a discount if we get a group buy together? I mean 10% off would still be about $100.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #140
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!
 
vroomapunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 5,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Do you know if they'll give a discount if we get a group buy together? I mean 10% off would still be about $100.
AS long as the windshield will work with HUD
__________________
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #141
jeremywes
 
jeremywes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
SSMickey, I think we found a solution for the air bag deal. It will be a little while before we can confirm, LOL.

In our quest to improve the cars handling, one of the area of weight reduction was the seats. We have decided to go with the Cobra Misano Anniversary edition. They weigh only 24 lbs each and are consistent with the build level that we are shooting for. I fell in love with these seats when I first saw them at SEMA a few years ago. The seats will be coming from England, and we are working with Cobra on the idea of embroidering the G5.R logo on the seats (See pic below)

Attachment 516314


Attachment 516322

Hoping to have the car back as a roller in the next week as we are going to be building a roll cage for it.




.

I'm seriously diggin those seats. I bet thats worth a few pounds for sure!

jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #142
The Stig



 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: out of the ashes
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 26,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
AS long as the windshield will work with HUD
That I don't know about.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #143
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Do you know if they'll give a discount if we get a group buy together? I mean 10% off would still be about $100.
We'd have to inquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
AS long as the windshield will work with HUD
I don't see why it wouldn't; there's nothing special about the windshield on models with HUD as far as I know.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #144
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't; there's nothing special about the windshield on models with HUD as far as I know.
Theres a special coating in that area that helps with clarity. Corvette and camaro people have been doing the swap without the different windshield with no ill effects. There might be some glare situations with reduced visibility.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #145
driyac


 
driyac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: West Chester Ohio
Posts: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
We'd have to inquire.



I don't see why it wouldn't; there's nothing special about the windshield on models with HUD as far as I know.
There is an anti reflective property to the windshield. Or something like that. It makes the HUD show clear. There gave been multiple instances on here of people having broken windshields and then receiving the non HUD ones and them being blurry
__________________
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #146
Nessal


 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
That would be Doc


I thought it was the Hankook formula drift car but Im not 100% sure.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #147
The Stig



 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: out of the ashes
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 26,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I thought it was the Hankook formula drift car but Im not 100% sure.
I was wrong about it being Doc anyway though - but I know another member just posted his truck weigh-in station slip. Showed like 3405 or something - still full interior.

edit: found it -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
Considering I added a/c back to the car for the hot GA summer, can't say I'm not satisfied. Car has a rollbar, deep TCI pan and metal hi-ram intake all adding weight, too. Some records going to be broken once it cools off. Roughly half tank of E85 in the car.






No, I'm not going to list out the reduction (it would take too long anyway). Yes, the car still has a full interior, stereo, and air conditioning.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #148
Nathan Moreno

 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
AS long as the windshield will work with HUD
Hey guys sorry for the late respond on this question as Jim had e-mail me the answer last week. (See below)

"Yes it does work it, however because our windows are so clear the HUD reflection will not be as bright."

RJ it would hurt to ask Jim about a group buy discount. Perhaps you can call him and see what he would be willing to do for Camaro5 members and if possible, make a check interest thread. I guessing if there's enough interest, he might become a sponsor of the site.

As far as update, I am really back up! Hoping to get the engine bay completed and ready for paint this weekend! This is contingent on my friend who is helping us with the body work can make it over. If he can't, we going the assemble the front and rear cradle and make the car a roller so that we can start on the roll cage.


__________________
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #149
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Do you know if they'll give a discount if we get a group buy together? I mean 10% off would still be about $100.
Just got a reply back from Jim and he said yes. If we can put together a group buy for at least 10 windows they'll give us a 10% discount. I wonder how many are actually interested?
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #150
snickerdoodle
 
Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 255
I am interested
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.