Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe 6 speed
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Instead of the filler panel how about an AiM Solo lap timer? I need that way more than I'll ever need a radio in this car. And radios chassis are heavy 5-8 lbs. How do we separate the radio from the climate controls though? Looks integrated on the panel? Seeing as how I am spec'ing A/C delete all I need is a heater control

A great project for an aftermarket supplier to engineer a solution for this.
The outside panel of the HVAC and radio are integrated, but the internal components are separate units. When you take them out, just cut the front panel in half to separate everything.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe 6 speed
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
Unless its a Camaro, not interested...
Then buy an SS, 1LE, or ZL1 and save a few bucks.

You want creature comforts, I get that. If you're going to spend Z/28 money, either you don't want creature comforts at all, or you want another completely different car.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The outside panel of the HVAC and radio are integrated, but the internal components are separate units. When you take them out, just cut the front panel in half to separate everything.
Awesome, thanks for the info
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe 6 speed
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info
After thinking about it, you really can't cut the front bezel in half because the illumination of all the lights on the radio and HVAC are all interconnected, and the HVAC dials are too darn close to the radio controls to have a clean line to cut through......

BUT....

You can still remove the CD player and tuner module. The plastic bezel is just a keypad and the climate controls are all electronic, no mechanism or box inside. The bezel less than a quarter inch thick, and it weighs very little. The HVAC controls are part of the whole bezel, but the radio and CD player are not. Therefore, you can remove the bezel, take out the tuner module and CD player, and replace the front bezel.

Just make sure you don't try to accidentally put a CD through the slot, it will get stuck behind your dashboard now!

You could just tape off the CD slot from the inside while you have the bezel off.

But I definitely like your idea, that someone like Scotshe or DEI should come up with an aftermarket bezel that gives you the HVAC while just a black filler panel for the radio. They make custom trim bezels for all aftermarket head units right now anyway.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
But I definitely like your idea, that someone like Scotshe or DEI should come up with an aftermarket bezel that gives you the HVAC while just a black filler panel for the radio. They make custom trim bezels for all aftermarket head units right now anyway.
Or a trim bezel with compartment to fit in a Video VBox Lite box
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #23
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06
 
davidcroft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS sedan
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,419
I'd order this radio
__________________
2014 SS Sedan-"houston stock" granny sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 26,387
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If I bought this car, I would remove the speaker and radio, and just fabricate a lightweight plastic or fiberglass filler panel, remove the radio, and install the panel as filler over it (painted either black or dark grey).

This car is for track purposes. So you don't need to hear the seatbelt chime, headlight reminder chime, door ajar chime, or turn signal click. You don't need music since the sound of the engine is all you want to hear anyway. Sure the feds mandate that it be there at production, but once you take possession there's nothing that says you can't take that stuff out. And it's not like you're taking this car on any long vacation trips, so you really don't need any of the modern conveniences. If you do aspire to take this car on a long drive, you're missing the point of it's existence, and I can name at least 4 cars in what will probably be the Z/28 price range that are fantastic, upscale cars that you can enjoy long distance drives in.
It likely won't function. Because so many functions are electronically controlled through the radio...you can't just ditch the radio without adjusting the ECM so it won't freak out when it doesn't see the BCM is connected anymore...at least, not easily...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
v6sonoma


 
v6sonoma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 8,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
After thinking about it, you really can't cut the front bezel in half because the illumination of all the lights on the radio and HVAC are all interconnected, and the HVAC dials are too darn close to the radio controls to have a clean line to cut through......

BUT....

You can still remove the CD player and tuner module. The plastic bezel is just a keypad and the climate controls are all electronic, no mechanism or box inside. The bezel less than a quarter inch thick, and it weighs very little. The HVAC controls are part of the whole bezel, but the radio and CD player are not. Therefore, you can remove the bezel, take out the tuner module and CD player, and replace the front bezel.

Just make sure you don't try to accidentally put a CD through the slot, it will get stuck behind your dashboard now!

You could just tape off the CD slot from the inside while you have the bezel off.

But I definitely like your idea, that someone like Scotshe or DEI should come up with an aftermarket bezel that gives you the HVAC while just a black filler panel for the radio. They make custom trim bezels for all aftermarket head units right now anyway.
You could also install the Metra kit and just not install a stereo. You could fab a plate to insert in the double din and fill it with the gauges of your choice.
__________________

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
Rocky1974

 
Rocky1974's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Garrison,KY
Posts: 1,344
GM already offers a radio filler panel with switches for the COPO.
PN 22950650


And a gauge panel to replace the center AC vent.
PN 22950679

__________________
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.