Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
oily manifold

OK, so I finally got around to putting my ice-olater & plenum spacers on yesterday & I have a question for you guys. I have a RX catch can that I keep emptied, a Vararam intake (with the breather they give you on the clean side) & I drive a lot of short trips (1.7 miles to work). When I took the air intake & manifold off, both had a decent amount of oil in them. I looked at the valves & they don't seem to have a lot of carbon build-up on the tops of them, but there is some. Also, the engine isn't "eating" oil at a crazy rate. I change it every 3000 miles & I may add half a quart maybe in the time between changes. I'm coming up on 72,000 miles. Any ideas on what is causing this & how to fix it? Sorry I didn't take any pics.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Is it possible there is some residual oil build up from before you added the catch can? I used to go through 1 quart every few months before my catch can. Now I haven't lost more than 1/8th in 300 miles. I'm sure my intake still has some oil from before the CC install.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
cntryman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
Is it possible there is some residual oil build up from before you added the catch can? I used to go through 1 quart every few months before my catch can. Now I haven't lost more than 1/8th in 300 miles. I'm sure my intake still has some oil from before the CC install.
I put the catch can on fairly early on & the this is the first time I've ever seen oil in the air intake...it looked fresh & wet, not older
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Kid

I'm not 100% sure this makes a difference (I've heard two arguments for and against it) but I got rid of the Vararam breather, plugged it, and put a beather oil filler cap on instead.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
cntryman77

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure this makes a difference (I've heard two arguments for and against it) but I got rid of the Vararam breather, plugged it, and put a beather oil filler cap on instead.
I was set-up that way, but took it off when the breather kept getting oily as well
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Kid

That's interesting. I don't have any oil on my breather. Sounds like you may have a clog in you PCV system causing the pressur to find a new way out. Have you checked the PCV in the passenger valve cover? If your getting pressure build up, this SHOULD be the route it would take.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
cntryman77

I have & it's been cleaned & drilled out as recommended
Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Kid

Somewhere inside the engine is an internal check valve. I don't know much about it, but I've heard sometimes it sticks. This may be causing your problem, but I can't give you any advice on how to fix it. Hopefully someone else will jump in.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
I guess it is possible that you may still be getting blow by through the RX can, but maybe not a lot, but over time it just added up. I'm surprised to hear it went all the way back into your intake though.

I am running the Vararam as well, but I don't have near the mileage on my car. I am running the Vararam breather as well....and while its probably not the optimal setup (possible un-metered air) , I'm not sure plugging it and using a breather on the oil cap is great either. I have replaced the Vararam breather once, b/c it was soaked with oil (and its on the "clean" side") so I must have pressure pushing the oil through. So you may want to keep an eye on your breather as well. Autozone carries the exact same breather.

Sorry I don't really have any other good advice for you though to help remedy the main issue.
Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
Kid

That's interesting. Even when my old motor was drinking oil like water, my Vararm breather was clean. I mean "like new" clean. That was before my catch can, though.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Just a possible theory I will throw out here- we're all paranoid about sudden catastrophic oil loss with the LLT. This has led to more frequent oil level checks (a good thing), but if adequate time isn't given for all the oil to accumulate in the crankcase, it is easy to overfill thinking we're just maintaining optimum levels.

I always check my oil in the morning before I do the initial start up. That way I'm sure all the oil will be measured at a consistent temp (oil does expand a surprising amount when hot).

Overfilling will cause the excess to go all kinds of places it shouldn't and can cause foaming which could allow air to circulate through small passages that require constant oil flow. So don't do drugs, OK? I mean don't overfill!
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
setup

I was running the same setup. Its def not the Vararam Intake.
Go order a new barb fr the dirty side and a new Catch Can.
I drilled my barb per Tracy and started to get alot of oil in the intake from up top that would lrak down into my Vararam then soak the maf in oil.

btw i also had the oil breather rx on and alot of oil on it to so removed it also.

Switched to the new Elite Catch Can, new non drilled barb and used the Vararam cleanside filter. No oil yet after 1200 miles.

my 2cents are drilling the barb larger was allowing a ton of oil to get suxed thru the catchcan then down into the intake manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryman77 View Post
I have & it's been cleaned & drilled out as recommended
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #13
cntryman77

I always check the oil when cold, so that shouldn't be an issue...

I'll have to look at the Vararam breather & see if it is soaked or not...

I may have to look into getting another barb & see if the oil goes away
Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #14
Kid

I never drilled mine out, so that may be the difference. I figured the bigger the opening, the easier for oil to travel through.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
If you don't do the enlarging on the barb. This should be cleaned when you change your oil to prevent buildup which will prevent any flow.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #16
cntryman77

oily manifold

mine is enlarged right now, but I know it was fairly plugged when I took it off to drill...it may just be something to do with the shorter drives too? most days it's 1.7 miles to work, then home & it's all 35MPH or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Kid

Our communte sounds very similar. I don't thinks it's the lenght of the drive, but more the stop and go driving. The accelerating and decelerating causes the pressure changes inside the engine.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
mine is enlarged right now, but I know it was fairly plugged when I took it off to drill...it may just be something to do with the shorter drives too? most days it's 1.7 miles to work, then home & it's all 35MPH or less

I've noticed an increase in oil in the catch can since I did the PVC drill mod. The catch can will always miss a little oil that gets into your manifold, but it shouldn't be enough to run down your Vararam and soak the filter. I wipe out my manifold at every oil change,4500/5000 miles, and I spray a little carb cleaner down the holes and around the manifold and wipe out most of the "Glaze". Does anyone have the part number for the v-6 PCV valve/ barb?
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I believe it's Passenger side valve cover barb - 12583384 or PCV valve as you said.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
That's interesting. Even when my old motor was drinking oil like water, my Vararm breather was clean. I mean "like new" clean. That was before my catch can, though.
Hrrmm...interesting indeed. I touched on this in a different thread, but I only have 15,000+ miles on my car, and I've never, ever had to add oil (change oil every 3 - 4 thousand miles). It always looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Just a possible theory I will throw out here- we're all paranoid about sudden catastrophic oil loss with the LLT. This has led to more frequent oil level checks (a good thing), but if adequate time isn't given for all the oil to accumulate in the crankcase, it is easy to overfill thinking we're just maintaining optimum levels.

I always check my oil in the morning before I do the initial start up. That way I'm sure all the oil will be measured at a consistent temp (oil does expand a surprising amount when hot).

Overfilling will cause the excess to go all kinds of places it shouldn't and can cause foaming which could allow air to circulate through small passages that require constant oil flow. So don't do drugs, OK? I mean don't overfill!
I do this as well, as I've read on here several times about how not letting the engine cool can result in bad readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamaro2011 View Post
I was running the same setup. Its def not the Vararam Intake.
Go order a new barb fr the dirty side and a new Catch Can.
I drilled my barb per Tracy and started to get alot of oil in the intake from up top that would lrak down into my Vararam then soak the maf in oil.

btw i also had the oil breather rx on and alot of oil on it to so removed it also.

Switched to the new Elite Catch Can, new non drilled barb and used the Vararam cleanside filter. No oil yet after 1200 miles.

my 2cents are drilling the barb larger was allowing a ton of oil to get suxed thru the catchcan then down into the intake manifold.
I have not drilled out the barb....or even looked at it. I'm going to have to do this, but I've always been leery about drilling it out, since it sounds like it can result in more oil loss....but on the other hand, I've read the barb in either the 2013 or 2014s models has a slightly bigger pass through hole.

That would be evidence that drilling it out is a good thing....but I'm still leery about doing it. I may just check it and clean if necessary.

mycamaro2011, do you know if the replacement barb is any different than stock?

Quote:

I hate to cause you any more concern, but I've read that regular short drives is a cause for oil problems in the LLT. If the engine does not get hot enough, it can cause a build up of gas and moisture in the oil, that over time will cause the timing chains and bearings to wear prematurely and make them more likely to fail. When the engine is ran longer, it gets hot long enough to burn off these contaminants in the oil. You have 73,000+ miles I think you said, and if you've been doing tons of short trips during that time, then I'd say that's very good that you've not yet had issues, and hopefully a good sign for you.
Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #21
cntryman77

I'm at almost 72,000 but the short trips have only been in the last 8 months/5000 miles

Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
Nutbutt

Yes, the 2014 barb has bigger passages. However I was told by the my local GM service that it is not compatible with the 2010-2011 barb.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
mycamaro2011

pvc

hi, no the replacement barb is same as stock. I got mine from Becky at Rodgers on here.

IDK when i ran with the rx catch can and oil breather thats when i started to have oil leaks. First it was the oil breather soaked in oil. then i noticed two of my rear spark plug holes where the coil goes into had a bunch of oil prob from the breather creating to much pressure and blowing out valve cover gasket. Took breather off and no more oil in plugs.

Was told to drill barb bigger and started to get a ton of oil in TB and Vararam intake that it was soaking my maf.

Went with a new elite catchcan and stock barb. no more oil leaks.

i just believe with the strong sucking from the intake and that drilled barb that way too much oil was passing thru the rx catchcan.

i also tried a can of mopar combustion chamber cleaner. excellant stuff that i read is better than seafoam as it foams up as it sits. big smoke show too on start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Hrrmm...interesting indeed. I touched on this in a different thread, but I only have 15,000+ miles on my car, and I've never, ever had to add oil (change oil every 3 - 4 thousand miles). It always looks good.

I do this as well, as I've read on here several times about how not letting the engine cool can result in bad readings.

I have not drilled out the barb....or even looked at it. I'm going to have to do this, but I've always been leery about drilling it out, since it sounds like it can result in more oil loss....but on the other hand, I've read the barb in either the 2013 or 2014s models has a slightly bigger pass through hole.

That would be evidence that drilling it out is a good thing....but I'm still leery about doing it. I may just check it and clean if necessary.

mycamaro2011, do you know if the replacement barb is any different than stock?

I hate to cause you any more concern, but I've read that regular short drives is a cause for oil problems in the LLT. If the engine does not get hot enough, it can cause a build up of gas and moisture in the oil, that over time will cause the timing chains and bearings to wear prematurely and make them more likely to fail. When the engine is ran longer, it gets hot long enough to burn off these contaminants in the oil. You have 73,000+ miles I think you said, and if you've been doing tons of short trips during that time, then I'd say that's very good that you've not yet had issues, and hopefully a good sign for you.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #24
Nutbutt

oily manifold

Did you purchase a 2014 barb or just a replacement for your car. If the part # is 12583384 then you didn't purchase the 2014 barb. GM did not change the barb for 2011 or 2010 to the bigger orifice. And the 2014 barb is not compatible without modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamaro2011 View Post
hi, no the replacement barb is same as stock. I got mine from Becky at Rodgers on here.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #25
mycamaro2011

barb

12583384 was the stock barb i purchased for 2010 camaro.

with that and my new elite catchcan i have zero oil as i watch it closely now. taking off the vararam air filter and seeing it soaked at the bottle with oil was alittle scary, not to mention the maf soaked in oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Did you purchase a 2014 barb or just a replacement for your car. If the part # is 12583384 then you didn't purchase the 2014 barb. GM did not change the barb for 2011 or 2010 to the bigger orifice. And the 2014 barb is not compatible without modification.