Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Brandonmos

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Downshifted to 2nd, popped a Stabiltrak code.

I downshifted to 2nd in competition mode, at 42mph, and stabiltrak service message came up plus my ABS, traction loss, SBTK lights came on. Any one else had this happen ever?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/2012 SS
My service stabiltrak has been coming on after putting the ecs kit on. Im not sure why its doing it
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Brandonmos

It seems like its stressing the system to where itll disable itself to prevent damage..??
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Downshifted into second? In my years of driving a stick....thats typically a no no unless autocrossing at low speeds.
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Downshifted into second? In my years of driving a stick....thats typically a no no unless autocrossing at low speeds.
Just curious, why is that a no no? At proper speeds, you get in the power band better.

P.S don't take my question the wrong way, i just want to hear your reasoning.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Jim968

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Quote:
Somebody gave you some bad information. There is nothing at all wrong with downshifting to 2nd gear. Ideally it should be done with a proper rev match to smooth things out. But even without a rev match it shouldn't cause any problems as long as you're not overreving the motor.

I'm not sure what went wrong for the OP. Perhaps he could provide some more details.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3,'15 Z/28 #533
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong downshifting into second.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (25k miles)
I would contact your dealer and see if they could explain this. Do you drive an auto, or manual?

I dont mean to sidetrack this thread but can someone explain to me what would make one drive in competition mode opposed to turning TC/STBTRK off in L99? I originally used comp mode but it wouldn't allow me to do a brake stand to warm my tires up so recently I've been driving with everything off.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Do the lights all turn off and go away after you've parked it for a while?

My car had the same lights come on (but in my case, it wasn't because of down-shifting) but after I parked it and let it sit over night, the lights didn't come back on after I started it back up.

I tried taking it to the dealership to have them diagnose it, but they couldn't "replicate" the problem. I think it's just one of those random gremlins...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
I would contact your dealer and see if they could explain this. Do you drive an auto, or manual?

I dont mean to sidetrack this thread but can someone explain to me what would make one drive in competition mode opposed to turning TC/STBTRK off in L99? I originally used comp mode but it wouldn't allow me to do a brake stand to warm my tires up so recently I've been driving with everything off.
I think he has a 1le so its a manual.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
San2cci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen09 View Post
I think he has a 1le so its a manual.
Haha that would make sense; I failed to recognize that.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Brandonmos

Well, i went to pass a dump truck- shifted, rev matched just enough so it didnt just drop into gear or wreck the clutch and my dashboard lit up lol, it only puts you at 3800 or so- ideal rev range to pass i figured... dont think its near over revving the motor or anything of that nature.

And yes the lights did go away after leaving it in the parking garage for approx. an hour (At gym)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Brandonmos

Quote:
Haha that would make sense; I failed to recognize that.
i do have a manual- 1le and all but even then i have stopped using competition mode as it almost killed me by cutting power in traffic one day
Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
San2cci

What do you mean cutting power!?!? I didnt even know that happened...that's scary
Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
Brandonmos

Quote:
What do you mean cutting power!?!? I didnt even know that happened...that's scary
I gave gas right after downshifting to 3rd at around 75 (hwy) and for a split second it looked like i was going to make the gap into the exit lane... until it cut the engine power or throttle or something

maybe i should just never downshift. ever.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Jim968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonmos View Post
Well, i went to pass a dump truck- shifted, rev matched just enough so it didnt just drop into gear or wreck the clutch and my dashboard lit up lol, it only puts you at 3800 or so- ideal rev range to pass i figured... dont think its near over revving the motor or anything of that nature.

And yes the lights did go away after leaving it in the parking garage for approx. an hour (At gym)
Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Is it possible that one of your rear tires was on a low traction surface? Maybe something confused your stabilitrak or perhaps it was just a glitch. I probably wouldn't worry about it if everything seems ok now and the problem doesn't replicate.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
Brandonmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Is it possible that one of your rear tires was on a low traction surface? Maybe something confused your stabilitrak or perhaps it was just a glitch. I probably wouldn't worry about it if everything seems ok now and the problem doesn't replicate.
Thats good news, i figured id gather a general consensus on whether to take it to the dealer or not- especially if someone came in with a "TAKE IT RIGHT NOW" reply for some unknown catastrophic TSB
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 chevy & 2011 1SS/RS manual
mine did it when i hit 158 mph on the dyno. it was pissy for a few minutes but it has never done it since. if you were not driving it extremely aggressive, there may be something wrong with it. if it does it again for no reason, take it in for them to look at. just realize they probably wont find anything. they never do til it breaks.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/2012 SS
My deal is alittle different, sorry to thread jack but since its kinda on topic. Ill be in the power band and stomp it down and the msg Service Stabiltrak will pop on the screen, after I let off it goes off right away.. Is it just cause of the added power that it thinks somethings wrong, ive got 600whp
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Jim968

Quote:
I gave gas right after downshifting to 3rd at around 75 (hwy) and for a split second it looked like i was going to make the gap into the exit lane... until it cut the engine power or throttle or something

maybe i should just never downshift. ever.
Did you hit the rev limiter? That will cut power. Otherwise it sounds like the nannies trying to save you from a questionable move. Wet conditions perhaps? Maybe cold pavement?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
Brandonmos

Quote:
Did you hit the rev limiter? That will cut power. Otherwise it sounds like the nannies trying to save you from a questionable move. Wet conditions perhaps? Maybe cold pavement?
i know it wasn't the limiter- wet conditions are a possibility, i figured the comp mode would allow a little slide or step out and use little corrections- unlike just all out cutting power
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
Jim968

Quote:
i know it wasn't the limiter- wet conditions are a possibility, i figured the comp mode would allow a little slide or step out and use little corrections- unlike just all out cutting power
The nannies will step in even in comp mode if they sense disaster. You need to be careful downshifting and getting heavy into the throttle in low traction conditions. That means wet and even damp pavement, and also cold pavement. Summer tires can really get away from you on cold pavement, and the ones on the 1LE are about as bad as it gets in the cold. I’m pretty sure there’s even a TSB out there about them.

I wouldn’t give up downshifting, but just learn to be careful and smooth with the whole process. You want a smooth rev matched shift and then ease into the throttle instead of mashing it down all at once.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
Brandonmos

Quote:
The nannies will step in even in comp mode if they sense disaster. You need to be careful downshifting and getting heavy into the throttle in low traction conditions. That means wet and even damp pavement, and also cold pavement. Summer tires can really get away from you on cold pavement, and the ones on the 1LE are about as bad as it gets in the cold. I’m pretty sure there’s even a TSB out there about them.

I wouldn’t give up downshifting, but just learn to be careful and smooth with the whole process. You want a smooth rev matched shift and then ease into the throttle instead of mashing it down all at once.
guess i got something to work on i s'pose
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I mean I can see this happening because...
If you don't know you can barely turn your key to start your car, let off and it will start. I have done this many times, one day after school I did it. It started to turn over and stopped, threw a stabilitrack code. Tried again and it did the same thing. But after that I held it until it started and all was fine. It also told me to check the tire pressure monitoring system.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
I downshift to 2nd all the time, even going 50-60. I never downshift into 1st while moving, unless only a few mph.

Love downshifting to 2nd man!
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote