Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Gavros 4 Life

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White Black Stripes
How to remove the rear bowtie

I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the bowtie in the back because i want to put a black vinyl under it but in order to do that i need to remove it but how?
Gavros 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Carefully.

When I did mine I used a small flat head and worked around the edges. I then focused more on one edge working further towards the center until I could pry with my fingers. Be very careful as you can damage the paint easily.

Pull on the badge and never pry against the paint.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I used a putty knife very carefully
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
I've heard a blow dryer to heat then use some fishing line. Never tried it though.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Gavros 4 Life

sounds great this is what i want to do but now once i get the vinyl back on how to i get the bowtie back on and centered the right way?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1249394655
Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Gavros 4 Life

let me rephrase that because i re-read that and was like wth? ok this is what i want to do to the back of my camaro http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1249394655 now after i remove the bowtie and place the vinyl on how do i put the bowtie back on over the vinyl in the centered position anyone have any thoughts to this please help any info will be great
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
I've heard a blow dryer to heat then use some fishing line. Never tried it though.
No screwdrivers!!! NO METAL TOOLS!!!! If you slip, there goes your paint!

Take the wife's hair dryer and tell her, "it'll be okay, honey...I'll give it right back."

Get some fishing line and if you don't have any, dental floss works just as well. Heat up the bowtie and don't worry, it'll be fine. Heat it up and while doing that, start working the fishing line behind the bowtie.

The fishing line will cut right through the adhesive tape that holds it on and your bowtie will come right off. Just get some 3M adhesive tape to put it back on.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavros 4 Life View Post
let me rephrase that because i re-read that and was like wth? ok this is what i want to do to the back of my camaro http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1249394655 now after i remove the bowtie and place the vinyl on how do i put the bowtie back on over the vinyl in the centered position anyone have any thoughts to this please help any info will be great

Once the bow tie is removed. There are 2 holes in the trunk. These can be used To recenter bow tie. Left hole is bigger than right hole. Not sure why this is. Kinda wiss there wasn't holes in the trunk. I would have left my rear bow tie removed.
WHIPPLECHARGED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Take the wife's hair dryer and tell her, "it'll be okay, honey...I'll give it right back."

Get some fishing line and if you don't have any, dental floss works just as well. Heat up the bowtie and don't worry, it'll be fine. Heat it up and while doing that, start working the fishing line behind the bowtie.

The fishing line will cut right through the adhesive tape that holds it on and your bowtie will come right off. Just get some 3M adhesive tape to put it back on.
I second this! I took some badging off my last car. I actually braided three lengths of fishing line to give it some "teeth", and I didn't even need to use a hair dryer. Once I got through most of the foamy stuff, I rolled the rest of it off with my thumb (I did get a nasty blister, as I recall - that may be where the hair dryer comes into play). You may also want to use some Goo-gone to get through the adhesive.

BUT, before you do that, take some painters masking tape and using the original Bow Tie, mask out it's location with a tape rectangle or something to help you line up the new Bow Tie where it belongs.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
CleanCutCreations

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Tag speaks the truth. We use MIG welding wire at our shop because it is cheap and plentiful. Just take your time, go slow and don't try to cut all the way through at one time. Rock back and forth in a slight sawing motion because there are locating pins underneath that are used to center and level the emblem. (that just answered your question about making sure it is in the center when reinstalling) When you get to the pins you will notice that the wire (or whatever you use to cut through the 3M tape) will feel like it is not cutting anymore. Stop and then restart in another area of the emblem until you get to the pins again. Keep repeating until you can start to pry the emblem off pretty well with your bare hands. Good luck!

CleanCutCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Gavros 4 Life

thanks everyone i appreciate the in put so once i get the bowtie off i need to buy 3M tape put it on the bowtie then put it back on right
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
Kwik

Drives: car
Roger that!
Kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
i used a hair dryer and fishing string. Didnt attempt to pull with my fingers either until i loosened up the center. once i was able to get enough space between the trunk and the locating pins, i slid the string between it so that i could seperate the center of the bowtie from the trunk. after i did both sides and the center, it just popped off with ease. Once its off, clean the area very well, use some alcohol to take off whatever is left of the old 3M tape, apply the new 3M tape to the back of the bowtie, and stick it back on.

One other note, before i pulled off the bowtie, i used masking tape so that i would have a reference of where it was originally placed, its also good for determining if its level or not. you dont want to put it back on crooked or slanted!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
nvpliers

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Red Jewel Tint
Been reading the how-to advice. Thanks all, since I have a similar project planned: Black out, then replace bow tie with an SS emblem. Got decal and emblem, and hope to do soon.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
CleanCutCreations

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvpliers View Post
Been reading the how-to advice. Thanks all, since I have a similar project planned: Black out, then replace bow tie with an SS emblem. Got decal and emblem, and hope to do soon.
Glad to help! Thats what we are all here for!
CleanCutCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
You can use the same process as I did here... as far as the flossing etc. The posts are the only difference really.

Last edited by Synergy SATX; 05-05-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
torranosaurus

Drives: 2011 Black RS
I removed mine yesterday without a problem. I used a thin wire, but heated up the emblem with a blow dryer. When I got to the pins, I stopped and pulled out a bit to get some space between the emblem and the trunk. I did that on both sides, reheated the center, and it got soft enough to pull right out.
Anyone know if removing the padding on the trunk would allow access to the holes from inside the trunk???
torranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR BEE View Post
Once the bow tie is removed. There are 2 holes in the trunk. These can be used To recenter bow tie. Left hole is bigger than right hole. Not sure why this is. Kinda wiss there wasn't holes in the trunk. I would have left my rear bow tie removed.
This is for a similar reason outlets have one slot bigger than the other. It's to keep you from not installing the bowtie upside down. Not that it probably really matters, but then again it might be slightly different enough to warrant this.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
What does everyone put to cover the holes? Any pictures of the holes covered with something else?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #20
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
When you order the "SS" emblems from SLP a thick black sticker comes with them to put behind the rear "SS" badge. I also bought the rear blackout kit. I will post 2 pics for you, the close-up will show the thick black one that covers the holes.
Attached Images

JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #21
Snidely Whiplash
Suppressed HK co-pilot

Drives: '14 2SS bright yellow LS3 w/sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLECHARGED View Post
That's why I looked at this thread. I ordered the no bowtie front grill insert and wanted to remove the back one. Looks like I'll get it painted flat black with body color where the chrome surround is.

I wish I knew a good bodyman. I could build him a quality short block (with his parts) in exchange for filling in the holes and painting the area. Thanks..for the bad news.
2014 LS3 - BMR full poly rear trailing arms, LG Motorsports Super Pro 1 7/8" headers, 3" full exhaust, 2.5" inlet GHL mufflers, LGM tune by Anthony Forney - barely broken-in motor with 1500 miles on it - 409.83 RWHP with 401.10 RW torque WITH STOCK AIRBOX

Back when folks were killing brain cells huffing glue, I was huffing 327s with 6-71s and having more fun than the glue guys.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #22
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...p?keyword=7498

Some fishing line & 3M double sided tape is what i used...
Cold Air Inductions CAI • SP LT Headers with cats • Lethal Dyno Tune (383 rwhp) • CFD polished strut covers • Spoiler 5 by Carbon by Design • heritage grill • SLP front splitter • ZL1 rockers & diffuser • Drake Shifter • PDIM upgrade • Debadged • 69 SS Emblems • Tinted windows, markers, & tail lights • Black tail light bezels • Magnaflow mufflers with quad tips • FR Style 41 silver machine 20x9 & 20x10 wheels
justjoshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #23
ConqSoft

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
That's why I looked at this thread. I ordered the no bowtie front grill insert and wanted to remove the back one. Looks like I'll get it painted flat black with body color where the chrome surround is.

I wish I knew a good bodyman. I could build him a quality short block (with his parts) in exchange for filling in the holes and painting the area. Thanks..for the bad news.
The 2014 has no holes under the rear bowtie, so you can remove it cleanly.
Attached Images

ConqSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
rebelyell22
V1 Rotate

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLECHARGED View Post
Only the 2010 has holes
Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #25
BLTZKRG

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Is there a good place to get a rear vinyl blackout piece for the 2014? Id like to do it to mine.
BLTZKRG is offline   Reply With Quote