Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
carpleror

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Camaro handling compared to other performance cars?

Ok, so I've been searching through this forum for a while now and decided to join so I could make a thread for a topic I haven't seen before; how the Camaro actually handles compared to other performance cars. I see a lot of discussion about HP and such (mainly compared to the mustang), but how does it actually drive; suspension, steering wheel stiffness, etc.? I'm looking into getting a Camaro pretty soon and the reason I ask is because I'm currently driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z and I LOVE the way it drives. The car hugs the road, and the steering wheel is VERY stiff. And, of course, it's got a lot power. So I'm curious as to how the Z would compare to an LS Camaro (which is what I'm looking into). I know the Camaro has about 50 more HP than the Z, but it's also like 600 lbs heavier, so I'm sure that translates into a decrease in performance right there. I'm expecting lower performance with this switch (which I'm ok with because I love the Camaro), I just want an idea of how big a difference there is in the performance of the two cars. I know the only way to really tell would be to actually drive a Camaro, but until then I figured this would be a good start. Thanks guys!
carpleror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Well i may be partial but my 1LE kicks @ss its like one of the best handling cars on the road.Have you seen any of the videos i posted from Laguna seca?
cornerspeed92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpleror View Post
Ok, so I've been searching through this forum for a while now and decided to join so I could make a thread for a topic I haven't seen before; how the Camaro actually handles compared to other performance cars. I see a lot of discussion about HP and such (mainly compared to the mustang), but how does it actually drive; suspension, steering wheel stiffness, etc.? I'm looking into getting a Camaro pretty soon and the reason I ask is because I'm currently driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z and I LOVE the way it drives. The car hugs the road, and the steering wheel is VERY stiff. And, of course, it's got a lot power. So I'm curious as to how the Z would compare to an LS Camaro (which is what I'm looking into). I know the Camaro has about 50 more HP than the Z, but it's also like 600 lbs heavier, so I'm sure that translates into a decrease in performance right there. I'm expecting lower performance with this switch (which I'm ok with because I love the Camaro), I just want an idea of how big a difference there is in the performance of the two cars. I know the only way to really tell would be to actually drive a Camaro, but until then I figured this would be a good start. Thanks guys!
You will not be impressed with the V6 Camaro's handling compared to the Nissan. As an owner of a 350Z those things are like go-karts they do whatever you want no matter what. The Camaro handles like a freaking boat unless you get the 1LE or ZL1 (Z/28 isn't out yet). The V6 might have similar lap times to your 350Z (though I seriously doubt it) but around corners it will not feel as flat or well maintained I can guarantee it.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
if you think the z handles well and has "a lot of power" then the camaro wont disappoint. my wifes accord is quicker and handles better than a z......

why a v6 tho? ss1le is a phenominal car for the price
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I don't think it'll be as much of a drop in performance as you might think. The LS is very nimble, but might not be as stiff as your 350z. If you feel like it - that's EASILY fixed with some inexpensive aftermarket parts like springs and sway bars.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Best thing to do would be to go to a dealership and take an LS for a test drive.

Personally, I think an LS vs 350z will probably disappoint you. However, that's just my opinion. You may feel it is comparable...then again maybe not. This is why the best thing would be to test drive one and make the decision for yourself.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: W/28
Get a 1le
http://youtu.be/CSc9aPh_X_w
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Tracks or Roads ?

I can say that the independent rear end helps a ton , on real life roads.Especially in a bumpy fast turn.
A big jump from previous generation Camaros.

On the track, it is super smooth, and can make a silly amateur look very good.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
plus1zero
Back in a V8 ;)

Drives: 2013 F-150 5.0 4X4 Screw PAST 2LTRS
One of my coworkers drives a z vert, 2004 model. He had a few mods done, showing me how it felt and how much quicker he thought it was.

Honestly, didn't feel much if any faster than mine.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
1LEMayhem
Wheel Man

Drives: 1 of 70 '13 GXH 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
For sure look at the 1LE. You will not be happy going from a 350Z to a base camaro.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Brandonmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Well i may be partial but my 1LE kicks @ss its like one of the best handling cars on the road.Have you seen any of the videos i posted from Laguna seca?
minor jack- Something i wonder alot, how do our cars deal real world against the other performance cars out there handling wise? basically does the 1LE handle great for a camaro, or great in general..?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonmos View Post
minor jack- Something i wonder alot, how do our cars deal real world against the other performance cars out there handling wise? basically does the 1LE handle great for a camaro, or great in general..?
Great in general.

Take a look at the sort of company the 1LE is in when setting lap times around VIR:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

And it's said (for what it's worth)...the Z/28 is three seconds faster than the ZL1.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
You might prefer an LT with the RS package. Wider wheels and low profile summer only Pirellis. The LS is only available with 18" all-seasons.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Brandonmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Great in general.

Take a look at the sort of company the 1LE is in when setting lap times around VIR:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

And it's said (for what it's worth)...the Z/28 is three seconds faster than the ZL1.
I had no idea....
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Where have you been the last 6 months? You even have one...

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Brandonmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Where have you been the last 6 months? You even have one...
i knew they were doing well (the 1le's) but mainly i had seen the vs. the BOSS laptimes and articles. i hadn't seen comparative times against higher end performance cars. i guess i was so busy driving
Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Here's some 'ring lap times to put it in perspective.

Camaro SS

ZL1...take a really good look at the cars the ZL1 is faster then.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Here's some 'ring lap times to put it in perspective.

Camaro SS

ZL1...take a really good look at the cars the ZL1 is faster then.

All of a sudden, that BMW M3 that I used to drool over looks a bit less tempting.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
OP, If you are looking for handling in particular, and currently have a 350Z, you will probably be disappointed with the Camaro, unless you get the 1LE, Z/28, or ZL1. The Camaro is more of a power car than a handler without paying up for the various track packs. The grip level is actually pretty good, but they feel a bit too big and not nimble enough on the road, and have too light and rather numb steering. That said, however, I haven't driven one since the 2010-2011 model years, so if they have improved them since then, someone please point it out.

If you want a Camaro and are willing to be patient, however, consider waiting for the 6th-gens to come out. Significant improvements in the handling and "feel" department are coming with the new Alpha platform.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
quualudes

Drives: 2013 V6/M6 Carmaro
Coming from a very nimble RSX, the power aspect is awesome moving to an LS. The bolt on upgrades help make that even better. Suspension is another matter... It's a big car and it won't compare stock to your current ride, but you can remedy that too! I went the Pedders route and have a great driving car as a result. A few upgrades bushes and Zl1 sways makes this a completely enjoyable animal to drive. There are at least 4 suspension vendors catered to this car, so there are plenty of options.

The Camaro is a great platform, lots of options to make it your vision! Takes some money, blood, sweat and tears - but it's pretty awesome to have something that YOU want.

Installed:
___MGW shifter, CAI Intake, VMAX ported throttle body, high flow cats, MRTv2 exhaust, Pedders cradle bushes, ZL1 swaybar upgrades (yay!!!), BMR split drop
Soon to be installed:
__1LE 3.91 Rear end
quualudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
carpleror

Thanks guys i really appreciate the input. Like I said I'm not overly concerned about the power difference, I think it would be similar ENOUGH to my Z. I'm much more concerned about handling. Having the Z as my DD for the last 4 years I kinda got used to the way it weaves in and out of traffic and corners down exit ramps (I know, bad habit). I would love to get a 1LE but I don't think I can afford it, I think my best bet would be an LT. Maybe add some sway bars later on.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
carpleror

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
OP, If you are looking for handling in particular, and currently have a 350Z, you will probably be disappointed with the Camaro, unless you get the 1LE, Z/28, or ZL1. The Camaro is more of a power car than a handler without paying up for the various track packs. The grip level is actually pretty good, but they feel a bit too big and not nimble enough on the road, and have too light and rather numb steering. That said, however, I haven't driven one since the 2010-2011 model years, so if they have improved them since then, someone please point it out.

If you want a Camaro and are willing to be patient, however, consider waiting for the 6th-gens to come out. Significant improvements in the handling and "feel" department are coming with the new Alpha platform.
The steering is actually my exact concern. I've gotten so used to the stiffness of my steering wheel that when I'm driving anything else the wheel feels awkward to me now.

I don't know much about the Alpha-platform, but if that's the case then it's something I'll have to consider.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonmos View Post
It handles great in general,did you see any of my videos from Laguna?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Thanks guys i really appreciate the input. Like I said I'm not overly concerned about the power difference, I think it would be similar ENOUGH to my Z. I'm much more concerned about handling. Having the Z as my DD for the last 4 years I kinda got used to the way it weaves in and out of traffic and corners down exit ramps (I know, bad habit). I would love to get a 1LE but I don't think I can afford it, I think my best bet would be an LT. Maybe add some sway bars later on.
You wont be happy with an LT get the 1LE here are two videos the 1st is my 2011 1LT RS the 2nd is my 1LE its much harder to catch and pass in the V6 then the 1LE

Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
You will not be impressed with the V6 Camaro's handling compared to the Nissan. As an owner of a 350Z those things are like go-karts they do whatever you want no matter what. The Camaro handles like a freaking boat unless you get the 1LE or ZL1 (Z/28 isn't out yet). The V6 might have similar lap times to your 350Z (though I seriously doubt it) but around corners it will not feel as flat or well maintained I can guarantee it.
a little credit here ...a boat ...come on wheres the love

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ls, 350z, camaro ls, handling, performance