Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
I Agree with Tracy, when I was 15 the only manual our family had was my dads '09 Zo6...learned to drive a manual on that monster. Taught me to respect cars and be aware of the other drivers. Almost 5 years later no accidents and the discount on my insurance was rewarding.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
I Agree with Tracy, when I was 15 the only manual our family had was my dads '09 Zo6...learned to drive a manual on that monster. Taught me to respect cars and be aware of the other drivers. Almost 5 years later no accidents and the discount on my insurance was rewarding.
When I was 15, I learned on my mom's CTS-V. It was the only automatic car that we had. I learned stick on a Cobalt. The V still scares me.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
All in how the "kid" has been raised and taught to drive. My daughters were drag racng at 15 and running 7 seconds in the 1/4 mile by age 16.

No issues on the street running any of our 11-10 second vettes, etc. but I see idiots kill themselves all the time in a car they have never been taught to respect.
Everything about this post is right.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
When I was 15, I learned on my mom's CTS-V. It was the only automatic car that we had. I learned stick on a Cobalt. The V still scares me.
Same here...my dad got me a shirt that says "weapons grade torque" with a jet engine by his car
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #30
Stack4

There is a kid with a Challenger V6. I seriously doubt he's ever washed the thing. He gets a bunch of kids in it and they do drugs on the way home from school. I just know he's going to total that car before we (sophomores) graduate.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Let's think about all the classic muscle car guys who bought their first car early, maybe with help from family, and ended up driving something really powerful. Today, we don't seem to give the young guys the same credit. Back there, there were no nannies to help control that power, either.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
These V6 are no joke at all. Im 19 never had a speeding ticket or been in an accident. I have always driven powerful cars from my camaro, to a corvette, to a Few SS, and many others. In my opinion I feel like driving a Manual car has made me a better drive since you have to a be a little more aware of your surroundings and plan accordingly
They're not a whole bunch of power for the weight is what I was getting at, whereas I think an SS would definitely be too much for a beginning driver...
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
like others have said, it all depends on the kid - how they were raised and how much responsibility is placed upon them. i grew up on a farm & was driving manual V8s and tractors and even pulling trailers when i was 11. when it came time for me to get a license & a vehicle, it was on my own dime... gas & insurance, too. even though my car was a piece of crap hot-wheels-size heap, i still took the best care of it i could because it was mine & all i had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
I'm 16 and didn't get a Camaro because insurance would've been way too much.
A friend of mine wrecked his 2000 Mercury Cougar V6. That's not a powerful car. Anyone can wreck anything. To me, it seems like kids with the cars that aren't as fast are the ones who try to drive fast. After school Friday, a kid with a early 2000's Silverado did a burnout onto the street driving away from my school. Just today, I was going to my dealership to get oil filters and at a stoplight, a teenager with an old Hyundai was trying to race me. I didn't race or rev at all. He still did a burnout when the light turned green.
i call
nobody does burnouts in Hyundais

i know, i know - they actually make cars that're worth something nowadays.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post

i call
nobody does burnouts in Hyundais

It was more of a tire squeal. I actually thought it was funny. I could've EASILY just given it more gas and caught up to him.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Drives: Cammed 2012 AGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's think about all the classic muscle car guys who bought their first car early, maybe with help from family, and ended up driving something really powerful. Today, we don't seem to give the young guys the same credit. Back there, there were no nannies to help control that power, either.
These cars were originally marketed for a young generation. That obviously changed a bit with rising prices, but it still can hold true.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #36
Nate GM
Rand Paul/Ted Cruz 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
I've told my story plenty of times on Camaro5 so I won't repeat myself again. But basically I'm an 18 year old (was 17 when I got the car) with a Camaro who drives very responsibly. I like to joke around a lot like most people my age but I know not to do so behind the wheel.

Now I will admit that there are probably a few more young drivers that are reckless than older ones. But there are also good young/teenage drivers like myself and some others on the site, AND IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT TYPE OF CAR YOU DRIVE. Almost everyone else in my grade street races except for me, and I have the fastest and sportiest car by a LONGSHOT.
Nate GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #37
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
It's not a powerful car that causes car wrecks, reckless drivers cause car accidents. 3 years ago a close friend of mine was killed in a car accident when she was 16. She was the passenger, riding in a older volkswagon Jetta. The driver lost control, and my friend was killed. A jetta is by no means a powerful car, but my friend was killed in one. I'm 19 now, drive a powerful car, and have had no accidents. unfortunately part of that is because I learned the hard way that speeding is nothing to take lightly, but either way I'm a safe driver no matter what car I drive. A reckless driver will be reckless whether they are driving a 150hp car or a 350hp car. Unfortunately it is the bad drivers, the spoiled kids, and the idiots who are reckless behind the wheel that create the bad rep for every responsible teenager out there.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #38
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
you drive what you can....16 with a new camaro..bought buy your parents..sorry im not impressed....not bashing ...earn what you drive..i did

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #39
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Anyone who says that is just bitter or jealous. It's exactly like a gun, if you learn to respect what it is capable of, you'll be just fine.

My first car when I was 15 was a low 12 second car. Think that is too much to handle? What if I told you it was made in 1966 and lacked MANY modern safety features. I knew exactly how to respect that car and to keep myself from getting in situations that could be fatal.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #40
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
Anyone who says that is just bitter or jealous. It's exactly like a gun, if you learn to respect what it is capable of, you'll be just fine.

My first car when I was 15 was a low 12 second car. Think that is too much to handle? What if I told you it was made in 1966 and lacked MANY modern safety features. I knew exactly how to respect that car and to keep myself from getting in situations that could be fatal.
Not bashing, just playing devil's advocate here. But you're telling me you never once showed off for your buddy's or a girl. Never once had a close call that made you think "now what the **** was I thinking?" Because you started that 12 second car for the first time and went - shit, I need to respect this thing. Right?

I'm not jealous, bitter, or whatever other synonyms for crotchety you want to you I just know that respect isn't just given - it is earned.

If respect was just given out, and using the military here, why is it that when someone who's done three tours, has a Purple Heart etc. chimes in about the dangers of a mission everyone listens.

Now I know that people and cars can't really be compared, but it's the best analogy I've got right now.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #41
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Not bashing, just playing devil's advocate here. But you're telling me you never once showed off for your buddy's or a girl. Never once had a close call that made you think "now what the **** was I thinking?" Because you started that 12 second car for the first time and went - shit, I need to respect this thing. Right?

I'm not jealous, bitter, or whatever other synonyms for crotchety you want to you I just know that respect isn't just given - it is earned.

If respect was just given out, and using the military here, why is it that when someone who's done three tours, has a Purple Heart etc. chimes in about the dangers of a mission everyone listens.

Now I know that people and cars can't really be compared, but it's the best analogy I've got right now.
Well said. I for one have defiantly earned my car's respect. Hydroplaned it once going 40 mph. Went completely sideways but I was still able to regain control of the car thanks to stabilitrac.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #42
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
It's not the age of the driver that's the problem.

It's the extremely jacked up licensing system we use in America that's the real problem. The standards for acquiring a driver's license are so out-dated and simple that the skill of the average American driver is frighteningly poor. Not to mention that once you're given that license, there's literally nothing in place to ensure drivers retain the necessary knowledge to operate a motor vehicle in a safe fashion.

There needs to be a system where every driver must complete a driving instruction course every three or four years to retain their driver's license. This course should be a weekend-long course that covers everything about driving a car, including a comprehensive driving test.

It is a priviledge to drive a car on public roadways, not a right.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #43
73camarolt

Drives: Black 2010 SS, 73 LT
Well i will chime in because im a young guy in a pretty fast car. Im 18 daily driving a 2002 SS 6 speed. First off it depends on how you are raised and the crowd of people you hang out with. Growing up my dad always had camaros so it was a early love and i know that if anything happened to this car, i would be more mad at myself then anything.

I know i am very lucky to own this car let alone mod it some but it all comes with responsiblity. I have never had a ticket in this car and ive had it for over a year. Me and my dad go to many shows together and have a blast.

Honestly i see more people driving fast in POS cars then anything. Friend of mine has done well over 100 multipe times, thankfully without me in the car, in his 2001 acura CL with 230,000 miles. Or people speeding around in hyundias or hondas with the muffler cut off. Its all about how the driver handles the car. I cant tell you the number of times i have pulled up to a light and a friend of mine pulls next to me and tries to race. I just smile and go on my way slowly.
2002 Camaro SS- BBK LT's, ORY, SLP Dual-Dual, Lid, Ported TB, 4.11's, Hurst STS, UMI STB, LCA's, Relocation Brackets, SFC's, Adj. Panhard, Chrome ZR1 wheels, All Tuned and Perfected by John at Broadview Automotive.. 354hp and 360tq
73camarolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #44
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
An acquaintance of mine who was in law enforcement told me when they stopped allowing LEOs under 25 to drive the more powerful cars there was 90% less wrecks. That has to speak for something - the fact is that young brains are not fully developed and cannot always comprehend or predict the consequences of their actions.
Some can, some can't. Some kids drive well out of the gate, others never really get the hang of it. Can't paint everyone with the same brush, but in general and statistically, kids in powerful vehicles are a high-risk group.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #45
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

I agree, but to learn to respect a car I would urge being cautious rather than having an "Oh, Sh!t" moment. I learned to respect my car but watching idiots my age rev their cars in the parking lot at school only to blow their engines. On top of that I slowly worked up to learning the limits of the car, like how long it took to brake at high speeds, what g forces broke the tires lose, etc. etc. If you don't know the limits of your own car, the second you drive it out of "normal" circumstances you'll find disaster.

On your analogy, I'd argue that that's true except when talking to pilots.... you can't tell them anything. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
An acquaintance of mine who was in law enforcement told me when they stopped allowing LEOs under 25 to drive the more powerful cars there was 90% less wrecks. That has to speak for something - the fact is that young brains are not fully developed and cannot always comprehend or predict the consequences of their actions.
Some can, some can't. Some kids drive well out of the gate, others never really get the hang of it. Can't paint everyone with the same brush, but in general and statistically, kids in powerful vehicles are a high-risk group.
I completely disagree... I'm currently 25 and I'll use the gun/car analogy again. I was raised around cars (yes I know some aren't) and it made me learn a lot of do's and don'ts. But, I was not raised around guns, I only took that up when I was 21, but I learned to respect them. Then again I learned a lot about respect in my younger years, many do not.

The thing is you can't just say young people can't drive powerful cars. I've met MANY adults 30+ who would kill themselves driving half as "reckless" as I have. It is solely on the individual's experiences not on their age.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #46
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
To all the responsible kids: You are an exception, not a rule. You don't think you're stupid right now, but you will in 10 years. Ask any person who is 10 years older than you if they think they were dumb when they were your age. Any honest person will say yes (even if they didn't do "as dumb" of things as others). There is a reason why such a large majority of accidents involve teens. It's not just about being responsible, it's about experience. You don't have any. My personal opinion is that a brand new driver has no place behind the wheel of a car like a Camaro, even the V6. I'm specifically talking about the 16-18 year olds.

And stop comparing them to older muscle cars. Even the V6 stomps all over 90% of the old V8s.
V6 0-60 is 6 seconds.
'67 SS was 7.9 sec
All the '80s Z28/IROC were 6.5-7
Those "super fast" 5.0 Mustang GT's in the 80's were 6.3 or higher.
Hell, most of the 'Vettes from late 60's until the late 80's were >6 seconds
Obviously there are a few exceptions, but let's be real and acknowledge that a lot of the older muscle cars underperformed, and the ones everyone stereotypes are either few and far between, or had a bit of work done to them.

The data is all over the place about what statistics your age group plays in. There is a drastic difference, even just the difference between pre-18 and post-18. No need to get your underwear scrunched up. You just suck at driving, like all inexperienced kids (and yes, I include my 16 year old self in that statement). That's not to say some adults don't suck, because they do. But still statistically are involved in far fewer accidents.

"I rarely speed" and "I've never been in an accident" don't mean squat. You're still inexperienced. Driving is not the only skill that is dictated by experience. Work ethic, study skills, personal communication skills, professionalism, etc... Don't let your current good driving record give you an illusion about your driving capabilities I guess is what I'm mostly trying to say. You won't realize right now all the things you're doing poorly until you have a few years under your belts and then reflect. Sometimes... just sometimes... us older folk are genuinely concerned for you younger folks. It's not jealousy, envy, stubborn... whatever you want to call it. We just realize the things that will take you several more years to understand. We don't think you're all terrible, or all showboaters, and we're not saying you're necessarily irresponsible. Just inexperienced.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia

"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #47
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
"I was 2 at the time and the only car we had was a fisher-price rocket sled.. Haters gonna hate."

/
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #48
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
To all the responsible kids: You are an exception, not a rule. You don't think you're stupid right now, but you will in 10 years. Ask any person who is 10 years older than you if they think they were dumb when they were your age. Any honest person will say yes (even if they didn't do "as dumb" of things as others). There is a reason why such a large majority of accidents involve teens. It's not just about being responsible, it's about experience. You don't have any. My personal opinion is that a brand new driver has no place behind the wheel of a car like a Camaro, even the V6. I'm specifically talking about the 16-18 year olds.

And stop comparing them to older muscle cars. Even the V6 stomps all over 90% of the old V8s.
V6 0-60 is 6 seconds.
'67 SS was 7.9 sec
All the '80s Z28/IROC were 6.5-7
Those "super fast" 5.0 Mustang GT's in the 80's were 6.3 or higher.
Hell, most of the 'Vettes from late 60's until the late 80's were >6 seconds
Obviously there are a few exceptions, but let's be real and acknowledge that a lot of the older muscle cars underperformed, and the ones everyone stereotypes are either few and far between, or had a bit of work done to them.

The data is all over the place about what statistics your age group plays in. There is a drastic difference, even just the difference between pre-18 and post-18. No need to get your underwear scrunched up. You just suck at driving, like all inexperienced kids (and yes, I include my 16 year old self in that statement). That's not to say some adults don't suck, because they do. But still statistically are involved in far fewer accidents.

"I rarely speed" and "I've never been in an accident" don't mean squat. You're still inexperienced. Driving is not the only skill that is dictated by experience. Work ethic, study skills, personal communication skills, professionalism, etc... Don't let your current good driving record give you an illusion about your driving capabilities I guess is what I'm mostly trying to say. You won't realize right now all the things you're doing poorly until you have a few years under your belts and then reflect. Sometimes... just sometimes... us older folk are genuinely concerned for you younger folks. It's not jealousy, envy, stubborn... whatever you want to call it. We just realize the things that will take you several more years to understand. We don't think you're all terrible, or all showboaters, and we're not saying you're necessarily irresponsible. Just inexperienced.
So it's all about age and experience when it comes to everything right? So let me use another analogy. Who would you trust more with a gun, a 21 year old (enter name of spec. ops team here) or a 40 year old who has been shooting on the range their entire life? It's not just age and it's not just experience, one size does NOT fit all.

Bottom Line: It comes down to what experiences that individual has had, not the amount of experience.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #49
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Young or old, if you have power you will use it. It come down to when and where you use it.
I'd still be laid here on my own..........wasting my life away.
PHXLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #50
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I think some adults could do without the power.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote