Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
bovi
Beer Ass & Motor

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS E-Force 600whp
Edelbrock Supercharger HeatSoak

Hi guys,

I have a '10 SS with Edelbrock Supercharger 3.25'' pulley, full exhaust and a custom grind camshaft. Power is really good but its heatsoaking as hell when its summer time. I tried to find any infos on how i could bring the temperature down a bit more but never find any good infos on this. I wonder if there's a bigger cooler or what ever that can helps (vented hood,tank,pump etc).

Thanks,

Bovi

Last edited by bovi; 01-19-2015 at 01:39 PM.
bovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Easiest way is to swap to a turbo or centri setup.

Or you can help delay it by a huge heat exchanged, new pump, ice tank, meth injection, etc. You can spend $2-4k fighting it, and still not get close to other systems. If you are happy with it as it is, I would just keep it and enjoy it, and live around the downsides of that system. If it is really an issue for you, then swap to something else because you are just going to spend a ton of money to try to catch up to other systems.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Under what conditions are you heatsoaking? Racing?
What are your IAT's peaking to and when?
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, 1400hp axles, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
rds i think makes phenolic spacers. that combined with heat exchanger, super chiller, oil cooler and meth will help big time. the spacers meth and rad are only about 1500 total. oil cooling about 700. the chiller is like 700ish. not too steep. but that money could be spent buying an AGP Twin turbo kit i dont get near as much heat soak in canada but im also debating whether or not to add cooling or just get a set of twins.
2010 2SS, Edelbrock E force 3" pulley, Kooks front to back, Factory Rep style 41 /w 275/35/20 front 315/30/20 rear michelin PSS, TSP Blower Cam, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM, ID 850s, Roto fab, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece shaft, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, Tick clutch & bleed lines.
TO DO: DYNO!!
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
EDFHOBBIES

Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES

I have for sale a AFCO Dual Pass heat exchanger that has the electric Fans. They are the maker.. Lingenfelter and a few other speed shops branded there name on it or gave it a name..

Look at Dads or ALdo welds in Houston to make the larger intercooler box or ICE box. that will fit in the tire wheel next to battery. Or a universal trunk mount can be had for less than 300 on ebay. wrap it with some type of insulation.

If you do the dry ice version have them design a heat exchanger or coil inside of the intercooler box. it can be used for Dry ice or bag ice and it will be a closed system so you will not get chemicals into the intercooler, exchanger, or pump. The box needs a small vent line to be safe. Dry ice lasts 10x longer than bagged ice.

the afco is brand new in box haven't even opened it. I'm selling it to pay a shop to repair my car that the previous shop butchered.

ADM has done 2 setups but they wants well over 3K just for the trunk mount intercooler box no exchanger. It can be done for less. I believe when I priced it it was 750 for AFCO, 700 from DADs customs, and the pump was around 200 to 700 depending on a bulge pump or intercooler pump from like Lingenfelter.

if you like aldo welds on facebook he has 15% He posts all the time on H-town camaro and has some awesome work.

Meth kit is another solution but the cost is 5 buck for about 4 hard pulls, plus it takes the coatings off the Rotors of the blower, has been know to jack up the map sensor and other things.(the coating on the SC goes somewhere!) eforce will not warranty the blower if they see this I know!

I had a meth kit as well used the washer bottle to hold the meth, 4 passes on dyno it was empty. You can order a 55 gal drum delivered for around 200.00 but its just a hassle and dangerous. Then spilling it on the paint or leaks is just not worth it to me to mess with it.

I did research for about a year and was going to pull the trigger on the AFCO and intercooler ice box just out of money now because I'm basically wasting 3000 to get my car to run right from the last speeds shops inexperience.

PS your in BLANKING CANADA EH' Im in houston you have no idea on heatsoak lol!

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 01-20-2015 at 08:48 AM.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
EDFHOBBIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Easiest way is to swap to a turbo or centri setup.

Or you can help delay it by a huge heat exchanged, new pump, ice tank, meth injection, etc. You can spend $2-4k fighting it, and still not get close to other systems. If you are happy with it as it is, I would just keep it and enjoy it, and live around the downsides of that system. If it is really an issue for you, then swap to something else because you are just going to spend a ton of money to try to catch up to other systems.

Unreal all you do is talk about the AGP kit seems like you have a IN! what is the best price for 2010 agp kit, do I need anything bigger than a ZL1 pump?

Id like to be at the 700RWHP then mess with the waste gate hopefully adjustable by a cockpit dial that I can hit like NOS for a few extra pound when I get a better fuel system and built motor.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Lethal Racing

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Unreal all you do is talk about the AGP kit seems like you have a IN! what is the best price for 2010 agp kit, do I need anything bigger than a ZL1 pump?

Id like to be at the 700RWHP then mess with the waste gate hopefully adjustable by a cockpit dial that I can hit like NOS for a few extra pound when I get a better fuel system and built motor.
Give us a call here at lethal Racing. We are an AGP dealer and have installed them on many camaros!

nick
Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Call ^^^ or Matt@FSP or Kevin@AGP. Yes I have an in, as my best friends own the place, but I don't sell them. Plenty of top notch dealers do.

ZL1 pump, BAP and injectors it comes with have done 700rwhp time and time again.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
That trunk mount tank in post #5 is my car. I have a lot of supercharger cooling extras because I have been road racing my car. There is a lot of information on supercharger cooling on the ZL1 board. Turbos make more power but the way the way the power comes on with twin turbos is much different than the supercharger. Depends on your preference. If you want to cool your existing supercharger it can probably be done but you will make more total power for less money by going to the turbos.
ADM - 434 ERL block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. LPE pulley upgrades, 1400 injectors. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. 1436 rwhp.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Here is post about chillers specifically but there is a ton of information about supercharger cooling if you want to read all of the posts.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376366
ADM - 434 ERL block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. LPE pulley upgrades, 1400 injectors. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. 1436 rwhp.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
bovi
Beer Ass & Motor

Guys, i'm in Montreal Canada. I use the car maybe 2-3 days a week only for street use. The thing is in summer time, when the car gets hot after maybe 30 minutes, its like i'm losing 100hp, feels really slow compared to when its colder. Was just wondering if theres anything to do. I'll go Water/Meth to help a bit. Will see after. Thanks for all the answers.
Kooks Headers
American Thunder Exhaust
Rotofab Intake

Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
PS your in BLANKING CANADA EH' Im in houston you have no idea on heatsoak lol![/QUOTE]

It may not get as hot in the summer but heat soak is still a big problem. Most forget elevation compounds heat soak. I'm at 3000 feet. A 90 degree day here is worse than 110 at sea level.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #13
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Its amazing how some of you keep coming onto every single thread expressing your overjoyed love for the Twin Turbo systems as the solution to everything in this world. The OP asked about cooling down his supercharger...and once again some of you offer no help other than to try to sell their favorite TT system. Some of you need to give it a rest. There is no short of 100k+ threads and posts here stating the love for the twin turbo and its benefits. You need to get over the fact that people choose other power adders.

To the OP:

A bigger heat exchanger is a common add-on to keep heat soak down. The guy in post #5 showed you a good one. You can do some searching here on this site for "Torq" heat exchangers (which were popular in years past) to see the results that people got with them. I think Torq is now out of business...but the AFCO exchanger is similar. The bigger heat exchanger will give you both more surface area to cool...and also more volume of coolant which will both help. If you are street driving your car, then forget the ice tanks. That stuff is for the track and won't work for street cars unless you want to pull over at gas stations every 10 minutes for a bag of ice.

The killer chillers are also a great way to cool. They use your air conditioning system to cool the coolant down before it goes into the intercooler. Some poeple have reported IAT's that are colder than ambient air in some driving conditions (not under huge boost). Perhaps you should start there and keep everything else in your system the same to see if that does it. One and done...rather than messing with your entire system.

And as others have stated...if you drive your car hard and in boost for a long period of time...all the positive displacement top mount superchargers can heat soak eventually, no matter what you've done to them. That's the downside of top mount superchargers. They only have so much room in the engine valley for intercoolers. Especially on the LS engines with the pushrods. The DOHC Ford engines can fit huge intercooler bricks in there compared to LS engines. The reasons that turbo's and centri's stay cooler are because they can mount huge intercoolers to run the boost through. For us PD top mount supercharger guys...our smaller intercooler bricks that have to fit between the charger and the block are at a disadvantage in comparison.

Good luck! Post your results from any changes you made!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovi View Post
Guys, i'm in Montreal Canada. I use the car maybe 2-3 days a week only for street use. The thing is in summer time, when the car gets hot after maybe 30 minutes, its like i'm losing 100hp, feels really slow compared to when its colder. Was just wondering if theres anything to do. I'll go Water/Meth to help a bit. Will see after. Thanks for all the answers.
Heat soak is something that only happens with engine off.

As long as you have air flow and water flow through the cooling system the IAT should recover fairly quickly.

It is possible that the tune is too aggressive at removing timing VS IAT and some logging will show you if this is the case.

So as IAT rises it over compensates by pulling more timing than is necessary, we see this quite often with forced induction systems installed on NA cars.

The Recovery time on the Edelbrock system is very good providing everything is working as it should.

There is no Real problem with them that we are aware of, the intercooler brick and heat exchanger are adequate for your combination, I don't expect your making more than about 8-10 PSI

If you were running 15 PSI then cooling upgrades would be necessary as the heat produced could overwhelm the intercooler brick.

Water Meth systems are a way to provide some cooling and more octane which will require more timing to take advantage and not lose power.

Careful adjustment of the IAT timing tables can Help quite a bit.

Feel free to give me a call for more details.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
I will say this about the Edelbrock. I installed a Eforce heat exchanger in place of my magnacharger heat exchanger, and my IATs skyrocketed. I was looking for a solution to my factory magnacharger heat exchanger being bent from a front end collision prior to my purchasing it. I believe the edelbrock intercooler brick is very efficient, allowing it to use the thin single pass heat exchanger, but installing even a smaller dual pass heat exchanger like the Ron Davis would help tremendously, especially if running higher than 6psi. It wouldn't be that expensive to try just that, in the $750 range. I will either order that one or the heat exchanger that comes with the heartbeat.
Solid subframe mounts, Pfadt lowering springs.

www.fmtllc.net
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
H-E

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
The new hearybeat has a new Great heat exchanger.I will have pricing shortly as well as some testing.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
2012LS3VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
The new hearybeat has a new Great heat exchanger.I will have pricing shortly as well as some testing.
Yeah, I asked you about it a couple months ago and you didn't get back to me, that's why I tried the Edelbrock one. Brian@Superchargersonline got back to me with a price a couple weeks ago during their build thread. Feel free to shoot me a price as well, because I haven't ordered yet. I had asked for a few better pics of the heat exchanger and just that part of the install, and didn't get those, so I put it on hold from him as well.

www.fmtllc.net
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #18
H-E

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
Yeah, I asked you about it a couple months ago and you didn't get back to me, that's why I tried the Edelbrock one. Brian@Superchargersonline got back to me with a price a couple weeks ago during their build thread. Feel free to shoot me a price as well, because I haven't ordered yet. I had asked for a few better pics of the heat exchanger and just that part of the install, and didn't get those, so I put it on hold from him as well.
Untill Magnason gives us something were in the dark, hell ive been waiting a year for my blower lol.Ill see if i can get some pictures for you.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
2012LS3VERT

No problem. I just wanted a couple pics of HX uninstalled. And he was able to give me a price, and said he could ship it, so maybe they told you something different?

www.fmtllc.net
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #20
EDFHOBBIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
I will say this about the Edelbrock. I installed a Eforce heat exchanger in place of my magnacharger heat exchanger, and my IATs skyrocketed. I was looking for a solution to my factory magnacharger heat exchanger being bent from a front end collision prior to my purchasing it. I believe the edelbrock intercooler brick is very efficient, allowing it to use the thin single pass heat exchanger, but installing even a smaller dual pass heat exchanger like the Ron Davis would help tremendously, especially if running higher than 6psi. It wouldn't be that expensive to try just that, in the $750 range. I will either order that one or the heat exchanger that comes with the heartbeat.
Did you try the Afco Dual Pass?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #21
2012LS3VERT

No, I'm sure it is good, it is just a little expensive compared to the Maggie one, which is dual pass. If the new heartbeat HX is any better than that one, I have been quoted the new heartbeat HX at the same price of the old Maggie HX. I also am running a secondary pump and secondary dual pass HX in the lower grill portion of my bumper, so I was doing pretty good until I put in the Edelbrock HX, IATS went up by 30 degrees. I had to unplug the secondary pump to slow down the liquid because the Edelbrock HX wasn't efficient enough to cool the water.

www.fmtllc.net
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #22
bovi
Beer Ass & Motor

Hi guys, thanks for your answers. I got the car tuned at 7 Celcius last year, my tuner might be a little carefull when he did the tune so maybe im losing timing a bit too much that might be the problem. I'll visit him this summer for it. Its really pulling off mass power when its hot outside even if im running on the highway so thats why it seems to be the real problem. I'll do this before going on higher cost solution.
Kooks Headers
American Thunder Exhaust
Rotofab Intake

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #23
Rumbumbees$ponsor

Drives: Autobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovi View Post
Hi guys, thanks for your answers. I got the car tuned at 7 Celcius last year, my tuner might be a little carefull when he did the tune so maybe im losing timing a bit too much that might be the problem. I'll visit him this summer for it. Its really pulling off mass power when its hot outside even if im running on the highway so thats why it seems to be the real problem. I'll do this before going on higher cost solution.
What are you putting to the wheels?