Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
Outdoor Car Cover

Well here in August I will be leaving for college and my Camaro will be leaving the safety of a garage for the first time. The campus ill be at is walkable with classes being no further then 10 minutes away so I will not be driving my car at all unless I have to go somewhere to do something. What would be the best outdoor car cover to use? It would probably be covered for days and driven every now and then.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM Curly View Post
Well here in August I will be leaving for college and my Camaro will be leaving the safety of a garage for the first time. The campus ill be at is walkable with classes being no further then 10 minutes away so I will not be driving my car at all unless I have to go somewhere to do something. What would be the best outdoor car cover to use? It would probably be covered for days and driven every now and then.
I like the Covercraft Noah. You want something sturdy, breathable and secure.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Depending on the college you go to, I'd be a little hesitant on putting a cover on it. I know you want to protect it as much as you can but if you're taking your car to a college campus, chances are things are going to happen to it. Depending on the school you go to, I might not put a cover on it because it can make you a target for people. There's a black camaro at my buddy's college that I visited there that covers his car. When I visited him again recently, the same car had key marks everywhere. Just saying.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Good luck at college. Keep your car covered.

If your college friends are like my college friends, once they find out you have a hot car they are going to want you to drive them everywhere.

No matter what they say: DON'T TAKE YOUR CAMARO TO THE TOGA PARTY!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
SIM Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Depending on the college you go to, I'd be a little hesitant on putting a cover on it. I know you want to protect it as much as you can but if you're taking your car to a college campus, chances are things are going to happen to it. Depending on the school you go to, I might not put a cover on it because it can make you a target for people. There's a black camaro at my buddy's college that I visited there that covers his car. When I visited him again recently, the same car had key marks everywhere. Just saying.
It's not a small college but its not big by any means either.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Covered or not, your car is open to risk if it's parked for an extended period of time on a college campus full of young and possibly jealous fellow students. Even if they're not jealous, they're usually careless with their own cars so to them, swinging the door of their '98 Saturn right into yours and inflicting a dent is routine and a part of every day life. I'm pursuing getting into the Fire Department so luckily my education starts and ends at a community college where I don't really need to board up. I usually am parked at the campus for no more than 4 hours and then I go home; and for the two years I've owned my car, nothing has happened yet. *Knock on wood.* Granted, I usually park in the bowels of hell, so to speak. (Really, really far away.)

Covering it will help from the elements, sure, but other humans aren't really elements, per say... but in the end, the protection from the elements alone makes it worthwhile so I'd do it.

The Covercraft Weathershield HD is probably the best car cover for an outside kept car. The material is breathable and it does a good job at shedding water. Of course, since it is breathable, that doesn't mean it's 100% waterproof. A powerful enough rain storm and you'll probably have a couple wet spots on your car from the water going through the fabric, but for most run-of-the-mill showers it'll protect it completely. It also protects from the sun.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
SIM Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Covered or not, your car is open to risk if it's parked for an extended period of time on a college campus full of young and possibly jealous fellow students. Even if they're not jealous, they're usually careless with their own cars so to them, swinging the door of their '98 Saturn right into yours and inflicting a dent is routine and a part of every day life. I'm pursuing getting into the Fire Department so luckily my education starts and ends at a community college where I don't really need to board up. I usually am parked at the campus for no more than 4 hours and then I go home; and for the two years I've owned my car, nothing has happened yet. *Knock on wood.*

Covering it will help from the elements, sure, but other humans aren't really elements, per say... but in the end, the protection from the elements alone makes it worthwhile so I'd do it.

The Covercraft Weathershield HD is probably the best car cover for an outside kept car. The material is breathable and it does a good job at shedding water. Of course, since it is breathable, that doesn't mean it's 100% waterproof. A powerful enough rain storm and you'll probably have a couple wet spots on your car from the water going through the fabric, but for most run-of-the-mill showers it'll protect it completely. It also protects from the sun.
That's the goal is to protect from the elements. My roommate is a long time friend and ill be parked next to him and the parking spots are pretty big but dings are still a risk unfortunately but ill just have to hope for the best. Ill look at the 2 mentioned so far do you have a certain place that has them for a good price?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
That's the goal is to protect from the elements. My roommate is a long time friend and ill be parked next to him and the parking spots are pretty big but dings are still a risk unfortunately but ill just have to hope for the best. Ill look at the 2 mentioned so far do you have a certain place that has them for a good price?
Both NOAH and Weathershields are premium quality car covers. Depending on where you order, prices only flex between $30.00/$40.00 difference, and usually it's evened out moreso once they factor shipping in. For a Camaro, be prepared to spend roughly $400.00.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
SIM Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Both NOAH and Weathershields are premium quality car covers. Depending on where you order, prices only flex between $30.00/$40.00 difference, and usually it's evened out moreso once they factor shipping in. For a Camaro, be prepared to spend roughly $400.00.
I was expecting them to be around that price I don't mind since it provides protection to my car. Speaking of that how do you tie these down to prevent someone from taking them? Even though it would be kinda pointless to steal it but you never know.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
I was expecting them to be around that price I don't mind since it provides protection to my car. Speaking of that how do you tie these down to prevent someone from taking them? Even though it would be kinda pointless to steal it but you never know.
Both of those covers come with a steel braided cord that you loop through two rings on the bottom of each side of the cover under the undercarriage. The cord is then secured with a lock that comes with a key.