Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #188

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I would ask of the experts, why then is there even more than one make/model of car that is tracked?...If all the prices and data are known, why isn't the best valued one, price and performance wise, the only car that's worth tracking/racing?....lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #189
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
did you not read what i said? there is no car in this class! because theres no void to be filled! thats hwy i said it goes in other classes that it may compete with. and the ariel atom is 56K...and the z06, yeah id still take it over this camaro... it has a radio and lower ownership cost and will be way more fun to drive around a track than the heavy pig camaro. cayman r is priced similar to the estimated z28 price. this is probably the closest car in its category other than the boss 302, z06 and even the exotics.. so there you have it. no matter the price. all those cars are still in its league. this category isnt based on $ obviously. its based on capability.

when you think of track day cars, you have to compare cost of car to performance. there are plenty of other cars that will run close to this z28 and be thousands less. and thats something consumers have to weigh. should i buy a 70K camaro that runs X time? or 40K car that runs X seconds slower in the lap than the 70K camaro? because who cares what a professional racing driver lapped this car in..... if you cant do that same time, it dont mean $hit!

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #190
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
did you not read what i said? there is no car in this class! because theres no void to be filled! thats hwy i said it goes in other classes that it may compete with. and the ariel atom is 56K...and the z06, yeah id still take it over this camaro... it has a radio and lower ownership cost and will be way more fun to drive around a track than the heavy pig camaro. cayman r is priced similar to the estimated z28 price. this is probably the closest car in its category other than the boss 302, z06 and even the exotics.. so there you have it. no matter the price. all those cars are still in its league. this category isnt based on $ obviously. its based on capability.

when you think of track day cars, you have to compare cost of car to performance. there are plenty of other cars that will run close to this z28 and be thousands less. and thats something consumers have to weigh. should i buy a 70K camaro that runs X time? or 40K car that runs X seconds slower in the lap than the 70K camaro? because who cares what a professional racing driver lapped this car in..... if you cant do that same time, it dont mean $hit!
im not following you.. first you say there are better cars for the cost, then you say its not about cost, then you say its about value compared to 40k cars? your all over the place lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I would ask of the experts, why then is there even more than one make/model of car that is tracked?...If all the prices and data are known, why isn't the best valued one, price and performance wise, the only car that's worth tracking/racing?....lol
this is true, and i was just entertaining his thoughts.

if everything is just numbers, why do we see mustangs and challengers on the road?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #191
2010_5thgen

this is the same idea behind if gm brings out the Holden ute as the el camino..... gm will have this category on lock down. it will be the best god damn car/truck on the market! because the market doesn't exist for it.

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #192
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
im not following you.. first you say there are better cars for the cost, then you say its not about cost, then you say its about value compared to 40k cars? your all over the place lol.

this is true, and i was just entertaining his thoughts.

if everything is just numbers, why do we see mustangs and challengers on the road?
there are better performers for the money. not all new, but slightly used. and the category this car will be in is obviously a higher category because theres not alot of lower level performers that make a car like this, most are high end. and comparing value for value, yeah like i said theres better value for your money.

all these numbers are compared ot the ZL1 running the ring. id like to see 1 camaro owner who had their ZL1 running the ring as quickly as GM got it...... ill bet theres not a single guy on here who is running the times GM got out of the car.

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #193

Quote:

ill bet theres not a single guy on here who is running the times GM got out of the car.
Wouldn't the same be true of every other car that is tested by it's manufacturer?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #194
2010_5thgen

yup. my point is, everyone is saying its 3 seconds quicker than the zl1......ok...well, average joe, show me!

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #195
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Wouldn't the same be true of every other car that is tested by it's manufacturer?
thinking is hard
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post

I think this was VolksWagen's overall strategy back in the day...lol...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #197
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
like ive said, this car is in a class of its own. so you have to compare it to cars of the same purpose. track purpose cars...areil atom... hands down. 30k. light. track purpose and daily driver. best car. other than that...z06. still get radio, nav.... this is why gm will have a hard time selling this to anyone other than a true camaro enthusiast. there is no market for a 70k camaro that has no radio and is intended for the track. most people have dedicated track cars that are in this catagory. in a catagory close to this would be cars like the M3, S5, boss 302, gtr, z06. higher scale.... cayman R, mercedes black series, even the new viper... i know viper has had track cars in the past, but those are TRUE track cars with roll cages ready to race. this camaro is not that serious. but you could compare it to a viper of that caliber

people looking for a NEW track purpose 2nd or 3rd car, are few nad far between. anyone serious about track days has a car for that and isnt planning on spending 70K for it. people looking for a 2nd or 3rd car for a "toy" will more than likely be looking in the used car market. and in that field, you open up all other types of competition. for 70 or 80K like you said, id be looking for a panamera turbo so me and 3 of my friends can all enjoy the laps . but seriously, there will be alot of other used options for this purpose that will fulfill anyones track day urge and save them money. all a track day car needs to really be quick is the right set of wheels and tires, and brakes. obviously thats what they did with the camaro.
Quote:

Which one is it?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #198
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
yup. my point is, everyone is saying its 3 seconds quicker than the zl1......ok...well, average joe, show me!
GM announced that when they introduced the car at the NYIAS. It's been reported by every auto rag, blog, whatever in the country, you didn't know this?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286713

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 04-23-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #199
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
there are better performers for the money. not all new, but slightly used. and the category this car will be in is obviously a higher category because theres not alot of lower level performers that make a car like this, most are high end. and comparing value for value, yeah like i said theres better value for your money.

all these numbers are compared ot the ZL1 running the ring. id like to see 1 camaro owner who had their ZL1 running the ring as quickly as GM got it...... ill bet theres not a single guy on here who is running the times GM got out of the car.
What should that matter? It's the pro's that are doing it and it's just a reference point. It's to show what a car is capable of, d'uh you know that. You're just changing the point because you clearly haven't given him a logical answer to his question(s).

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #200
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
It probably will be $69k.....after dealers add on the extra $10k for BS markup.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #201
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
its going to be high, a ZL1 is mid $50ks almost everywhere... this is an even more exclusive Camaro, with a ton of R&D that you are going to be the one paying for, that has a hand built engine, etc... just a crate LS7 is almost $15k, that option alone on a stand SS would have it at almost $50k... I'm saying around $70k starting out

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #202
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Black
Attached Images

Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #203
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
This! Which equates to a VERY expensive toy. As I said before. Rarity and nastalgia. Thats what youre paying for UNLESS you're purely a camaro enthusiast. Then youre getting a REAL Z/28 Forget the high end parts ect. Im sure no more than 5% of those sold will ever see the track. Drag strip? Probably more so.

There's a sucker born every minute. Ill wait for him to buy it then sell it to me for a cheaper used price that's much more accommodating.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #204
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
It probably will be $69k.....after dealers add on the extra $10k for BS markup.
1969 Z/28 $69k hmmmm you might be on to something Jonesy! Lol

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote