Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #326
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
sorry you feel that way. it's not the way i see it.
he is speaking only about TRACKING cars and not real world driving.
was my GTR analogy not clear enough?
the point of calling people "posers" who don't track their cars is complete lunacy.
i get it, he drives on a track but that doesn't mean he's "god" when speaking about everyday comforts-speed-driving experience while not being on a track.
sorry if you disagree but i don't see it any other way.
thx
i'm just speaking my mind and he handed me what?posting track videos (deleting other stuff in his original post... about wannabes and other garbage)
does that make him an expert on what makes a great car for people who don't wanna track?
sorry sounds a bit like "sour grapes"
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #327
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I'm not so sure about "never". They definitely will wear more/quicker during tracking, which is pretty obvious.
Here is a statement I found online, and they are taking about a Ferrari here, but you get the point; “This feature means that the wear resistance of Carbon Ceramic Material guarantees an approximate disc life of 150,000 km (93,000 miles) for road use and 2,000 km (2,400 miles) for extreme track use (e.g. Ferrari Challenge),” Michelini said.
Not that you should believe every and anything you read online, but just a quick search brought me that.
Here is the web page if interested,
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ic-brakes.html
You're right. A carbon ceramic setup on the street may eventually wear out. It would like a long time, though. 93k street and 2.4k track sounds right to me.

Quote:
again:
you drive a car around a track and that makes you an EXPERT about people being posers or their every day driving choices for cars they choose or drive? too funny considering 90% will never see a track
poser to me = a guy with a boxster pretending it's a 911.
Wow. I expected 911 snobbery from a cars and coffee guy on the Porsche forum, but not on a camaro forum. You caught me by surprise there. You're only digging yourself a deeper hole by making comments like that. A mid-engined car is better balanced than a rear setup. Is a 911 faster? Yes. However, I wouldn't expect a poser to understand that at the amateur level, it's all about the driver and not the car.

You're really starting to babble and not make any sense...

Quote:
So driving a Z28 and not tracking = poser owning a 4 door porsche = poser ???
Yes. You learn quick. I may have misjudged you.

Quote:
i'm confused by your car assumptions, they seem be like the following scenario.
example: a GTR IS A GREAT TRACK CAR but makes a POOR every day driver
for most. However using the logic you seem to be projecting that would be a great everyday driver because it goes around a track well
What? Why are we talking about GTRs now? You've lost it, man. Before you accuse me of only driving GTRs in a video game, I've driven them on the street and the track. I've got videos of me tracking a GTR that I can show you too, but I'll spare you.

Quote:
sorry you feel that way. it's not the way i see it.
he is speaking only about TRACKING cars and not real world driving.
was my GTR analogy not clear enough?
What do you mean by 'real world' driving? Driving to cars and coffee? You do realize that's not what the Z/28 was built for, right? I still don't get your GTR analogy, but the GTR is a decent daily driver. I have friends that do just that with them as well as track them.

Quote:
the point of calling people "posers" who don't track their cars is complete lunacy.
i get it, he drives on a track but that doesn't mean he's "god" when speaking about everyday comforts-speed-driving experience while not being on a track.
sorry if you disagree but i don't see it any other way.
Poser is probably a bit harsh, but you left me no choice when you accused me of being a video gamer. Why are we talking about everyday comforts in a Z/28 thread? It's meant for the track. Are you one of the whiners about lack of A/C because it won't be comfortable on your way to cars and coffee?

Quote:
i'm just speaking my mind and he handed me what?posting track videos (deleting other stuff in his original post... about wannabes and other garbage)
Your mind accused me of video games. I proved you seriously wrong. I'll say it AGAIN. I deleted nothing. My original post was less inflammatory. I decided I was being too nice to you and ADDED more. You are imagining things at this point.

Quote:
does that make him an expert on what makes a great car for people who don't wanna track?
We're in a Z/28 thread, right? If I'm not, then I must apologize because I'm in the wrong place.

Quote:
sorry sounds a bit like "sour grapes"
sounds like someone got their head handed to them on a platter.

Quote:
NO SEAT TIME IN EITHER CAR but speaking like he knows from experience
I've got seat and track time in a Panamera too. Admittedly I don't have video of it because it wasn't worth my time. You GOT me. I don't have seat time in the new Z/28. However, neither does anybody here.

Quote:
and convenient HE edited the post that said "about Z28/CAMARO owners being "clueless".
Keep on imagining. I never said camaro owners were clueless....certain people...

Quote:
Again i'll be the bigger person here and say have a nice weekend and good luck on the track runs.
Thanks. Have fun at cars and coffee.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #328
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
OK Orthojoe you win! Back to our regularly scheduled program...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #329
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
OK Orthojoe you win! Back to our regularly scheduled program...
Ok, I'll shut up now.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #330
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Ok, I'll shut up now.
So at what price point do you think GM/Chevy will list this Z/28 at? I think you obviously believe this will be a great performing vehicle on a road course. It's still early in the game to see how well it will do, seeing as we are all waiting for the results from the 'ring to come in. How much of an impact of the results will that create on that price point?
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #331
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Ok, I'll shut up now.
Just thought of something <lightbulb>. The Z/28 will (presumably) cost somewhere right around what a new Boxster Spyder costs (well, if you could still find a new one). Give or take, right about. Interesting...

500+ HP
320 HP

No torque/Scads of torque.

2900 lbs/3800 lbs

Mid engine/Front engine.

I'm not saying in any form or fashion one or the other is better/worse. I used to own a Boxster Spyder as well and loved to track it just like Joe loves to do. Here we are both looking at Z/28 for track use. Crazy stuff. Must be some primal attraction of that stonking, high-revving 427ci V8.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #332
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
So at what price point do you think GM/Chevy will list this Z/28 at? I think you obviously believe this will be a great performing vehicle on a road course. It's still early in the game to see how well it will do, seeing as we are all waiting for the results from the 'ring to come in. How much of an impact of the results will that create on that price point?
My guess is $65k. Agree that the actual performance numbers are still out, as well as track reliability. However, the promise of a trackable car at a reasonable price has brought me here. I am also considering the new C7 with Z51 package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Just thought of something <lightbulb>. The Z/28 will (presumably) cost somewhere right around what a new Boxster Spyder costs (well, if you could still find a new one). Give or take, right about. Interesting...

500+ HP
320 HP

No torque/Scads of torque.

2900 lbs/3800 lbs

Mid engine/Front engine.

I'm not saying in any form or fashion one or the other is better/worse. I used to own a Boxster Spyder as well and loved to track it just like Joe loves to do. Here we are both looking at Z/28 for track use. Crazy stuff. Must be some primal attraction of that stonking, high-revving 427ci V8.

Very different cars. No plans on getting rid of the spyder ever. Too special of a car to me. I would agree that the price points will likely be similar too. In the right hands I've got to believe that the z/28 would destroy my boxster spyder on a track, though. The question is, can I handle the z/28?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #333
Zfatuated

Quote:
The question is, can I handle the z/28?
I'm thinking you might need to soften the right foot

Then again...the Z will have that 7 position traction control.

Hmmmm...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #334
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
My guess is $65k. Agree that the actual performance numbers are still out, as well as track reliability. However, the promise of a trackable car at a reasonable price has brought me here. I am also considering the new C7 with Z51 package.

Very different cars. No plans on getting rid of the spyder ever. Too special of a car to me. I would agree that the price points will likely be similar too. In the right hands I've got to believe that the z/28 would destroy my boxster spyder on a track, though. The question is, can I handle the z/28?
I believe that Chevrolet has moved it up a few notchs with these new offerings. A lot of value in these cars!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #335
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I believe that Chevrolet has moved it up a few notchs with these new offerings. A lot of value in these cars!
Which is why I am here.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #336
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:

First off - those videos were pretty sweet

I am potentially in the same boat. C7 or Camaro 1LE/ZL1/Z/28.

I am curious to see what the price point is for the Z/28. A C7 with Z51 is something like 54,000? At what point do people walk away from the Z/28 to the Corvette as a track car?

The LT1 rumors say 450-500hp. It is a few hundred pounds lighter (possibly) and the difference in price could be spent on brake upgrades and tires.

At 69k, I would probably walk over to the Corvette.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #337
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post

I am curious to see what the price point is for the Z/28. A C7 with Z51 is something like 54,000? At what point do people walk away from the Z/28 to the Corvette as a track car?

The LT1 rumors say 450-500hp. It is a few hundred pounds lighter (possibly) and the difference in price could be spent on brake upgrades and tires.

Thanks. You make a great point. Honestly, after Chevy released the pricing of the new C7 I feel like I'm leaning more towards the C7 right now. Z51 track package is $2800 on top of the 51k price. I optioned things out in terms of what I would be looking for and I was still less than 60k. The interior of the C7 will be much better than the Z/28 in terms of design/looks. I guess final reviews/results will tell all, but it looks like the C7 might be a better deal...?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #338
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Which is why I am here.
Glad to have ya!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #339
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post

Quote:
Thanks. You make a great point. Honestly, after Chevy released the pricing of the new C7 I feel like I'm leaning more towards the C7 right now. Z51 track package is $2800 on top of the 51k price. I optioned things out in terms of what I would be looking for and I was still less than 60k. The interior of the C7 will be much better than the Z/28 in terms of design/looks. I guess final reviews/results will tell all, but it looks like the C7 might be a better deal...?
My dilemma as well. I've always been a Z/28 guy though...I'm definitely torn.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #340
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Wanna know more about the "heart" of the Z/28? Consider this timely thread as REQUIRED READING.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292539
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #341
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Wanna know more about the "heart" of the Z/28? Consider this timely thread as REQUIRED READING.

I read that whole thing; very good read. I find it interesting that even though it seems the LS7 they're talking about for the Z/28 was showing 505 hp, Chevy is still only saying "about 500 hp" which I take it to mean they're still working on increasing the power. It would be nice if they could get an SAE rated 515 or more; maybe even 525 out of the production version.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #342
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I read that whole thing; very good read. I find it interesting that even though it seems the LS7 they're talking about for the Z/28 was showing 505 hp, Chevy is still only saying "about 500 hp" which I take it to mean they're still working on increasing the power. It would be nice if they could get an SAE rated 515 or more; maybe even 525 out of the production version.
True Doc, and since GM is not changing anything internally on the motor itself as we know it's up to the airbox/air intake, tri-y's and exhaust where the gain will be found. Maybe 25 HP and 30 ft lb tq.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #343
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
True Doc, and since GM is not changing anything internally on the motor itself as we know it's up to the airbox/air intake, tri-y's and exhaust where the gain will be found. Maybe 25 HP and 30 ft lb tq.
The tune will also probably come into play a bit.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #344
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
The tune will also probably come into play a bit.
...yes indeedy, and hopefully they set it up as far as they can go within EPA limits...even if a surcharge comes into play, damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead...
Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #345
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

Wow! Great stuff! Thanks a million for posting. Great look inside the development of the engine. Was surprised and a bit disappointed to learn the tri-y headers on the Z actually are more restrictive than then Vette's headers. I had thought they would provide hp/tq gains but it is the opposite.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #346
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Wow! Great stuff! Thanks a million for posting. Great look inside the development of the engine. Was surprised and a bit disappointed to learn the tri-y headers on the Z actually are more restrictive than then Vette's headers. I had thought they would provide hp/tq gains but it is the opposite.
My thoughts as well after seeing them compared to the Corvette's. I thought they would flow better.

My guess is 520 HP and 500 TQ
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #347
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Correct, the OEM ZO6 exhaust manifolds fare very well compared to LT's. Since the Z/28 has to meet current emission standards ( SS & ZL-1's use 4 cats ) I expect the Z/28 may also. I wouldn't expect the Z/28 spec'ed LS7 to produce a whole lot more HP/TQ than the ZO6 spec engine. It's a pretty efficient and tuned piece already.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, Hawk HPS Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredstein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, GM SS Fender & LS3 Emblems.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #348
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
...and another guess...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293071
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #349
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Spoken like a guy that actually knows what he's talking about and actually takes his car to the track on frequent basis and isn't half bad at it:

Don't matter what you were driving, very nice skills there... enjoyed the vids

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #350
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
I agree. The CC brakes should be optional. Their price point alone will exclude some buyers. I guess the smart thing would be to take them off and put the zl1 rotors on. The Z/28 is 300 lbs lighter and will have superior braking performance anyway.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote