Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Disturbed1LE
COTW 12/2/13

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Hill assist question

I just ordered a 2013 2SS/RS/1LE. I like the 2013 body better than the new 2014's so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I currently have a 2011 2SS/RS with an A6. I didn't test drive the manual because I have driven them all my life and know they just take some getting used to. Anyway, what exactly is the uphill assist?

Also, for those interested it will be ashen gray metallic. I am putting the GM blade wing spoiler(ashen gray) on it the day it gets here. The body shop is going to paint the bow ties black and the windows are going to be blacked out to legal. I told the dealership not to put on the front license plate mount. This being Texas, you have to have it but I don't want the holes up front lol
Disturbed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Disturbed1LE
COTW 12/2/13

So now that I have had more time to read and research this topic, I apologize for bringing up something that has already been covered extensively. Pros, cons, yada yada. Anyway, can't wait for the new car to get here. I love my current SS, but I keep wanting to push in a clutch and rip through the gears!
The countdown has begun...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
SoSlow

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS/SS, M6, Black
Did you order it with the dual mode exhaust?

As for the hill start assist, I hate it but I've found an acceptable way around it. Just found out it turns on when pointing downhill!
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
SSRS1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Congrats on your purchase and color choice.

There's a couple threads on the Hill Assist here. I personally don't like it, but have learned to drive around it using the suggestions in the threads like using minimal brake pressure when coming to a stop on a hill, or engaging the ebrake 1-click before taking off.

The concept of Hill Assist itself isn't bad, it's just a poor execution of it. Hill Assist on other cars senses throttle or clutch engagement and releases the brakes seamlessly. The GM version has a full 2-second hold of the brakes after they are released regardless of what you do with the throttle or clutch.

Modifications: HSA Elimination - Cold Air Inductions Intake
Solo Performance Mach Cat Back - Skip-Shift Eliminator
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
It has gotten me a couple of times pulling into my garage. It does suck but is tolerable. The skip shift is another crock of crap but is workable too.

There is a work around for the skip shift and I'm sure it is only a matter of time before they figure one out for the hill assist too.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
Disturbed1LE
COTW 12/2/13

Thanks guys. I did get the dual mode exhaust,sunroof,the mylink with nav.. I'm excited about having the back up cam too. That's the worst part about mine currently.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap 76 View Post
I just ordered a 2013 2SS/RS/1LE. I like the 2013 body better than the new 2014's so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I currently have a 2011 2SS/RS with an A6. I didn't test drive the manual because I have driven them all my life and know they just take some getting used to. Anyway, what exactly is the uphill assist?

Also, for those interested it will be ashen gray metallic. I am putting the GM blade wing spoiler(ashen gray) on it the day it gets here. The body shop is going to paint the bow ties black and the windows are going to be blacked out to legal. I told the dealership not to put on the front license plate mount. This being Texas, you have to have it but I don't want the holes up front lol
Cap 76,

Congratulations on the new vehicle! Please post pictures when you finally have it in your possession! Can't wait to see what it looks like!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2000 MCSS, 2013 1LS & 68 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep
I've just learned to take off from a hill slowly. No longer have to worry about being quick because of roll back, just do it nice and slow and it will disengage fine.

Sometimes I chirp the tires if I'm rushing and forgetting about the feature though

2013 Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Show Car
2000 Monte Carlo SS - Procharged Project Car
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: 2011 2SS L99 SGM 2013 2SSRS LS3 BRM
Congrats, you will love it! It comes up on the DIC when hill assist engages but seeing you live in TX I doubt you will encounter it very often. I live in hill country and happen to like the hill assist.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Disturbed1LE
COTW 12/2/13

Just curious but if once you are stopped, can you put on the hand brake and let off the pedal to begin the countdown? Two full seconds seems like it could make you miss an opportunity to get on a busy road easily around here.

And thanks! On the Chevy tracking it's queued for production. I look every day even though I know it is several weeks away.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
SoSlow

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS/SS, M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap 76 View Post
Just curious but if once you are stopped, can you put on the hand brake and let off the pedal to begin the countdown?
Pulling up on the hand brake turns off hill assist. If I have to, I pull the hand brake up one click and hill assist doesn't engage.
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The two second thing is hogwash you can over power the braking of the car easily with our torque.........just remember not to way over power it or you have tire slip more than just a little . And having come from a 2011 vert 2ss a6 to the 2013 dual mode m6 you are gonna love it!!!!!! And it has power seats on both sides too, and they are bolstered better and raise up a little. No you do not want to use the hand brake it allready has its brakes engaged. People here just love to whine about this or that.........heck the stupid 1-4 shift all you have to do is drive it til it revs up more...........lol and the car would just bog anyway shifting so low in the RPMs if you did not anyway....and no one wants a car that bogs down..I find it just a reminder that I could go right to 4th at about the same rpm and save gas.......

christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Allgrey

Drives: '13 AGM/1SS/1LE/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
The two second thing is hogwash you can over power the braking of the car easily with our torque.........just remember not to way over power it or you have tire slip more than just a little .
No one is saying you can't overpower it. Those of us who actually know how to drive a manual and have driven them for years find the need to adjust our starts to overpower a broken system pretty obnoxious. Especially since most people encounter hills during normal driving that require nothing more than experienced throttle/clutch work.

The final statement is that the system should be user selectable. It's not a legally mandated feature, and many other manufacturers allow their systems to be turned off or are off by default. Bottom line, no excuses, Chevy did not serve the enthusiast well with this system.

In other news, my mpgs have gone down because I need to keep that 8 track stereo singing through the dual mode speakers. It has a great sound track .

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366468357.107185.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  285.5 KB
Allgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Allgrey

Drives: '13 AGM/1SS/1LE/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Pulling up on the hand brake turns off hill assist. If I have to, I pull the hand brake up one click and hill assist doesn't engage.
This is my solution also.
Allgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Disturbed1LE
COTW 12/2/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
And having come from a 2011 vert 2ss a6 to the 2013 dual mode m6 you are gonna love it!!!!!!

No vert for me. For some reason I never cared for one for me. Coupe till I die!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366476489.022954.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  226.7 KB
Really hate to let this one go. It's just sexy.