Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #301
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,131
I suspect you'll see the "fortified SS" version aka 1LE carrier/axles...

- Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212140

UPGRADED HALF SHAFTS
The half shafts of 1LE have been "beefed up" to handle the higher grip and handling of the 1LE rear tires.


There is, however, an aluminum version of the 9.9 "on the shelf"...
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #302
backtotintops
 
backtotintops's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I hope that anybody considering running a Z/28 at SCCA's "Pro-Solo" (a real drag race start down a short straight into a conventional autocross) or at the Optima Challenge "Speed-Stop-Squared" event (similar, with a shorter autocross segment plus a stop box at the end) finds a starting line technique that's as quick as possible while being as gentle on the mechanicals as possible.
I highly doubt this car needs babying especially in an autox. They have been "beating the P_ss out of Steve" for a long time now.

I say hammer it!!!
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #303
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
I highly doubt this car needs babying especially in an autox. They have been "beating the P_ss out of Steve" for a long time now.

I say hammer it!!!
They are talking about hard launches such as the drag strip, the rear wasn't built to handle it like the ZL1.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #304
backtotintops
 
backtotintops's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
They are talking about hard launches such as the drag strip, the rear wasn't built to handle it like the ZL1.
???...this car is not even out yet and people are worried???

This is a street car and will easily handle autox launches and saturday night street fun etc...don't sweat it. I have never used launch control...but this car has it and doesn't that get you 95% the best launch anyway for a non pro?

If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #305
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.
The R-compound tires used at autocross are more or less comparable to drag radials, but with much better cornering characteristics due to differences in the carcass structure. The Z/28's Trofeos fall into the "R-compound" category.

Pro-Solo specifically involves a full-blown drag strip launch, complete with a tree and redlighting potential. It doesn't have the track preparation of a strip, but there is no guarantee that that's enough to do anything more than extend the number of cycles to failure. Actually, if the reduced grip of a parking lot is enough to make wheel hop a big enough factor, the diff might die even sooner.


Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #306
backtotintops
 
backtotintops's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
but there is no guarantee that that's enough to do anything more than extend the number of cycles to failure. Actually, if the reduced grip of a parking lot is enough to make wheel hop a big enough factor, the diff might die even sooner.
why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #307
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.
It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #308
backtotintops
 
backtotintops's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use
Ok...I am not doubting you but I would like to read the wording on that. Please provide the GM link.

thanks
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #309
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
Ok...I am not doubting you but I would like to read the wording on that. Please provide the GM link.

thanks
Here is the quote, I know it is somewhere here on C5. Perhaps someone can find it.

"How fast will the Z/28 be in 0-60? In the quarter mile?
The true performance of the Z/28 will be measured in lap times, not straight-line performance. To preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28, it doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing. The new Z/28 is designed to be the most track-capable Camaro ever produced by the factory."

Last edited by shaffe; 07-11-2013 at 08:18 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #310
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
???...this car is not even out yet and people are worried???

This is a street car and will easily handle autox launches and saturday night street fun etc...don't sweat it. I have never used launch control...but this car has it and doesn't that get you 95% the best launch anyway for a non pro?

If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.
The best launches are with TC off and no LC.

We can all stop worrying, if you are careful you can safely launch a 600 RWHP pedestrian LS3 M6 SS with DRs, a stock diff and axles, and not break anything. If you try a hero launch then boom. Drivers choice.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #311
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,467
Driver's choice . . . . . subject to the heat of the moment.


Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.