Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #301
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I suspect you'll see the "fortified SS" version aka 1LE carrier/axles...

- Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212140

UPGRADED HALF SHAFTS
The half shafts of 1LE have been "beefed up" to handle the higher grip and handling of the 1LE rear tires.

There is, however, an aluminum version of the 9.9 "on the shelf"...
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #302
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I hope that anybody considering running a Z/28 at SCCA's "Pro-Solo" (a real drag race start down a short straight into a conventional autocross) or at the Optima Challenge "Speed-Stop-Squared" event (similar, with a shorter autocross segment plus a stop box at the end) finds a starting line technique that's as quick as possible while being as gentle on the mechanicals as possible.
I highly doubt this car needs babying especially in an autox. They have been "beating the P_ss out of Steve" for a long time now.

I say hammer it!!!
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #303
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
I highly doubt this car needs babying especially in an autox. They have been "beating the P_ss out of Steve" for a long time now.

I say hammer it!!!
They are talking about hard launches such as the drag strip, the rear wasn't built to handle it like the ZL1.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #304
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
They are talking about hard launches such as the drag strip, the rear wasn't built to handle it like the ZL1.
???...this car is not even out yet and people are worried???

This is a street car and will easily handle autox launches and saturday night street fun etc...don't sweat it. I have never used launch control...but this car has it and doesn't that get you 95% the best launch anyway for a non pro?

If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #305
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.
The R-compound tires used at autocross are more or less comparable to drag radials, but with much better cornering characteristics due to differences in the carcass structure. The Z/28's Trofeos fall into the "R-compound" category.

Pro-Solo specifically involves a full-blown drag strip launch, complete with a tree and redlighting potential. It doesn't have the track preparation of a strip, but there is no guarantee that that's enough to do anything more than extend the number of cycles to failure. Actually, if the reduced grip of a parking lot is enough to make wheel hop a big enough factor, the diff might die even sooner.

Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #306
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
but there is no guarantee that that's enough to do anything more than extend the number of cycles to failure. Actually, if the reduced grip of a parking lot is enough to make wheel hop a big enough factor, the diff might die even sooner.
why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #307
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
Quote:
why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.
It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #308
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use
Ok...I am not doubting you but I would like to read the wording on that. Please provide the GM link.

thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #309
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
Quote:
Ok...I am not doubting you but I would like to read the wording on that. Please provide the GM link.

thanks
Here is the quote, I know it is somewhere here on C5. Perhaps someone can find it.

"How fast will the Z/28 be in 0-60? In the quarter mile?
The true performance of the Z/28 will be measured in lap times, not straight-line performance. To preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28, it doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing. The new Z/28 is designed to be the most track-capable Camaro ever produced by the factory."

Last edited by shaffe; 07-11-2013 at 08:18 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #310
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
???...this car is not even out yet and people are worried???

This is a street car and will easily handle autox launches and saturday night street fun etc...don't sweat it. I have never used launch control...but this car has it and doesn't that get you 95% the best launch anyway for a non pro?

The best launches are with TC off and no LC.

We can all stop worrying, if you are careful you can safely launch a 600 RWHP pedestrian LS3 M6 SS with DRs, a stock diff and axles, and not break anything. If you try a hero launch then boom. Drivers choice.

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #311
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Driver's choice . . . . . subject to the heat of the moment.

Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote