Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
IAmSS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Some questions about swirl removal process

Hi all. I have been lurking for awhile, first post. I have a 2010 2SS RS (black) for a few weeks. I had it clayed and detailed about two weeks ago. When I wash it, it feels smooth to me. I watched junkman's videos on paint correction and I want to get rid of the one million swirls in my paint As my stamina is not what it used to be, I imagine that whole process will take me a few days.
Questions

1) if I do not start this for a couple weeks is it imperative that i clay it again?

2). Since it will probably take me 2-3 days, should I cover the car, or can I just spray detail and dry before I resume on consecutive days. Or since it is in a garage, will that be protection enough over the course of a few days?

3). Once i am done with the polishing, i want to use a good carnauba paste wax to protect the paint. I will apply that by hand, but then what kind of pad can I remove the wax with using pc 7424xp buffer?

Thanks in advance,

Guy
IAmSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSS View Post
Hi all. I have been lurking for awhile, first post. I have a 2010 2SS RS (black) for a few weeks. I had it clayed and detailed about two weeks ago. When I wash it, it feels smooth to me. I watched junkman's videos on paint correction and I want to get rid of the one million swirls in my paint As my stamina is not what it used to be, I imagine that whole process will take me a few days.
Questions

1) if I do not start this for a couple weeks is it imperative that i clay it again?

2). Since it will probably take me 2-3 days, should I cover the car, or can I just spray detail and dry before I resume on consecutive days. Or since it is in a garage, will that be protection enough over the course of a few days?

3). Once i am done with the polishing, i want to use a good carnauba paste wax to protect the paint. I will apply that by hand, but then what kind of pad can I remove the wax with using pc 7424xp buffer?

Thanks in advance,

Guy
For claying, do the plastic bag test. If it's rough, you really need to clay. Don't try to get away with it.

Between polishing sessions you need to do some sort of wash to get the dust off. Either a waterless wash or detail spray.

There's really not much benefit to removing wax with the PC. A good quality wax will come right off easily with a towel. However, if you really want to, just put any pad on the PC, then set a microfiber towel on the paint. Press the PC onto the towel and do it that way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
IAmSS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Alright, thanks for the quick response. I have read about people on this forum who blow dry their car after washing. What the heck do you use for that?

Guy
IAmSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Alright, thanks for the quick response. I have read about people on this forum who blow dry their car after washing. What the heck do you use for that?

Guy
Leaf blower is the affordable option. Electric, not gas.

There are also dedicated car dryers, such as the Master Blaster. Very expensive, but heated and filtered air.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

Guy
Some guys are very OCD about their cars and others aren't. You need to figure out which one you are. I can tell you that the more you correct your paint, the more OCD you'll become to keep it that way.

I have a cheap electric leaf blower to expedite the drying process and to get the water out of the nooks and crannies. You'll still get streaks but those will be there whether you air dry or blow dry. Once I get the majority of water off with the blower, I go back over the entire car with detail spray and a clean MF towel. This gets all the streaks, water spots, and dirt that may have been missed in the wash. Leaves the car with a beautiful shine and slick as owl shit. Detail spray isn't that expensive when you buy it in bulk. You can also buy it in concentrate that will make several gallons. No self respecting enthusiast detailer won't have a large supply of it or waterless wash on hand.

Getting the swirls out can be a long drawn out process, depending on how bad they are. I know Junkman said in one of his vids that it took him over 6 months to get his Vette's paint to where he was happy with it. If you know you can't tackle the entire car over the weekend, just clay one area at a time, correct the paint, wax, move to next area. Start with the roof, hood, and trunk. They are relatively flat and won't wear you out as quick as doing the sides.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Talk to the guys at Adams Polishes. I just used their product for the first time and I am amazed how easy it was to wax the car. I own a black SS and know all to well the frustration with the swirl marks. Adams has it it all, drop them a line they are cool guys to talk with .

Here is a link documenting my experience with Adams Polishes.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289065
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
trm2

Drives: '13 Volt & '84 Vette
Just don't try to rush through the job - it will take time. It may take several days, it may take a couple of weeks. Do a panel when you can and don't stress over it.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Better to go slow, and it will come out perfect, plus you can take your time and enjoy being around your car. Have fun
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Some guys are very OCD about their cars and others aren't. You need to figure out which one you are.
Detailing is just varying levels of crazy... you're either a little crazy, or a lot crazy, but in the end we're all crazy!
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote