Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Skipshift eliminator is a whole lot cheaper than an LS3 conversion. :(
Old 04-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
BLACKssMiami

Drives: 2ssrs
How easy is it really to install the slp skip shift eliminator?
BLACKssMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKssMiami View Post
Easy

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205520
Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post
i know not too many people are fond of that moment when you go to shift into 2nd gear and the car "redirects" you to 4th gear. from what i have been told, that is how the Camaro SS and the Mustang GT manuals have avoided the gas guzzler tax, but does it really help fuel economy?

now that i have a car forces me into 4th gear sometimes when i am trying to get into 2nd gear, it is a little frustrating. considering i use just as much, if not more, gas pedal to accelerate from 4th as i would normally, i see how it's saving any gas and it's probably not good for my clutch as well, when the RPMs are suitable for 2nd and not 4th.

does this really save fuel or was this "feature" simply put in as a technicality to avoid that gas guzzler tax?
If it didn't do anything, it wouldn't be there. With your particular driving habbits, maybe it does cause you to burn more. For others, it might help. But in any case, its not there to save customers gas. It's there because its an easy way to get an extra couple mpg on the EPA test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKssMiami View Post
Easy, only takes a couple minutes. But you don't even the SLP kit. It works, and a lot of people like it, but its not needed to defeat CAGS. A cheap resistor (2.2k ohms I think) or a slight alteration to your driving style can keep it from engaging. But to each their own.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
On paper: Yes.

In function: Nope. I used to accelerate more aggressively than I normally would to avoid triggering it whenever it was safe to do so. So glad I don't have it anymore
I agree, on paper it probably works out. In real world driving, I can feel the car lugging badly in situations where I need to be in second the most
Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
I hardly ever hit the skip shift.
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
I hardly ever hit the skip shift.
I've learned to 'drive around it' too. Sometimes I'll see the icon displayed but I won't actually have to do it
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Rockamakis

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS,
I never have the skip shift come on. I skip on my own. I usually go 1, 3, 5 or 2, 4 6. Sometimes I go 1, 3, 6. I always shift at/before 2000 rpm.
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockamakis View Post
I never have the skip shift come on. I skip on my own. I usually go 1, 3, 5 or 2, 4 6. Sometimes I go 1, 3, 6. I always shift at/before 2000 rpm.
I do the same thing when driving around.

Going through each and every gear, I do believe your mpgs will drop since youre shifting so frequently in the first 3 gears and its fairly easy to go over 2k rpms in 1st, 2nd & 3rd if your shifting through them where as if your skip shifitng youre able to keep your rpms at a lower pace much more easily.

Does the skip shift actually force you to go from 1st to 4th? or is it just showing you to do this on DIC? I can shift 1st to 2nd when the DIC shows up to skip shift.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
SSpartan117

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I do the same thing when driving around.

Going through each and every gear, I do believe your mpgs will drop since youre shifting so frequently in the first 3 gears and its fairly easy to go over 2k rpms in 1st, 2nd & 3rd if your shifting through them where as if your skip shifitng youre able to keep your rpms at a lower pace much more easily.

Does the skip shift actually force you to go from 1st to 4th? or is it just showing you to do this on DIC? I can shift 1st to 2nd when the DIC shows up to skip shift.
Sometimes you can get in to 2nd before the "gate" closes and forces you to 4th. So yes, it chooses the gear it would like for you to go to at that point as long as throttle and speed conditions are met.
SSpartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Shows how the govt thinks.........pay a gas guzzler tax......even though you are paying more gas taxes per gallon, per mile than a Prius, which gets a single driver the privelege of car pool lanes (in Oregon anyways).

$1300 for the manual, and a whooping $2600 for the automatic. What a joke.
If the manual didn't have skip shift, the gas guzzler tax would probably be $2600 on it too. At least the automatic ZL1 doesn't have AFM. That almost makes the $2600 worth it.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
I don't know about the Camaro skip-shift feature, but I've had my Mustang 2 1/2 years now, and have never once had the feature activate. One almost has to wonder if it is pre-programmed to stop functioning once the car has a few miles on it....and thus would never be used in an EPA test ever again, since they only test new cars.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #27
VTXrider

Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Yes it saves gas if you drive like they do in the EPA test, otherwise it wouldn't help avoid gas guzzler tax. The means if you are accelerating very slowly. Whenever I trip it I just go to 3rd instead which seems like a much easier gear for the engine with regards to lugging, I only trip it when driving gently in traffic. Mostly I have instinctively adjusted my driving style to avoid it.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Yeah v6 no skip shift.I tested it once and did pickup maybe 1mpg as they say, but even in normal stop and go its hard to go that easy and slow and keep up with traffic at times.
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/ Forgestar cf10 wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote