Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
dkdariusz885
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
The ones behind the cats are resonators. Below is a picture of the HFC's from Solo and they have installed a bigger resonator then the factory had. The smaller one on each pipe is the cat as you can see a threaded bung on each side of it for two O2 sensors, behind the rear O2 sensor is a longer looking bigger pipe but that is a resonator not a cat. The stock cats have the same set up on the resonator on the stock is a lot smaller. But if you wish to call it a cat that is fine but I would not eliminate either of the 2 sets of resonators on my exhaust due to the sound of rasp and drone.



Ill post pics later of the smaller rear cars. Idk about aftermarket setups, but on stock you have the main two primaries off the headers followed by two small ones immediately. I also saw this on a GM schematic of the camaro exhaust system and when you look into them cut off, they have the traditional honey comb mesh. The resonators are the longer tubes before the axle, mid way back. Resonators I left on to eliminate rasp, yes. NJ does have wmmisok standards but no tail pipe test, only OBD 2 port which doesn't show a fault code with secondary cat delete. So this setup which doesn't give off exhaust smell when warm should have no problem passing inspection, not that I have to worry till 2018 anyways, lol. Ill post those secondary cat pics later when I'm home.
dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
dkdariusz885
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPickles69 View Post
Does anyone know if deleting the smaller cats voids your warranty? Thx.
It would only void your exhaust warranty if they got technical. There are actually federal laws about vehicles warranties that allow mods of cara that don't tamper with normal vehicle operation.
dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
dkdariusz885
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 53
Cars*
dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
skibik
Guest
 
Drives: bbbbbb
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bfe
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdariusz885 View Post
Ill post pics later of the smaller rear cars. Idk about aftermarket setups, but on stock you have the main two primaries off the headers followed by two small ones immediately. I also saw this on a GM schematic of the camaro exhaust system and when you look into them cut off, they have the traditional honey comb mesh. The resonators are the longer tubes before the axle, mid way back. Resonators I left on to eliminate rasp, yes. NJ does have wmmisok standards but no tail pipe test, only OBD 2 port which doesn't show a fault code with secondary cat delete. So this setup which doesn't give off exhaust smell when warm should have no problem passing inspection, not that I have to worry till 2018 anyways, lol. Ill post those secondary cat pics later when I'm home.
First off not sure how you could possibly have headers since there are none on the LFX engine. They are built into the heads no manifolds or headers. Don't bother with a picture because I have my factory pipes laying on the garage floor and know what you think you are talking about. All I am saying is I have never heard of 2 cats on each pipe and telling you they are resonators. If you want to call them cats so be it.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
dkdariusz885
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
First off not sure how you could possibly have headers since there are none on the LFX engine. They are built into the heads no manifolds or headers. Don't bother with a picture because I have my factory pipes laying on the garage floor and know what you think you are talking about. All I am saying is I have never heard of 2 cats on each pipe and telling you they are resonators. If you want to call them cats so be it.

Dean.
So that honeycomb mesh inside those "resonators" is what again? Resonators do not have catalytic material in them. Plus, I took pics and sold these cats to a company in PA which buys cats for money, I doubt they would buy resonators. And since you have not cut them off your exhaust and looked inside, how can you say for sure they are resonators. It was the exact same setup on my E92 M3. I did the same exact job on that car. Dw, pics soon to come, we'll let the viewers decide this one.
dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,062
There are four cats. Please take a look at this post:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=22

I've never seen a reasonator with the very thick honeycomb like material inside it like the the rear "cats" have.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
First off not sure how you could possibly have headers since there are none on the LFX engine. They are built into the heads no manifolds or headers. Don't bother with a picture because I have my factory pipes laying on the garage floor and know what you think you are talking about. All I am saying is I have never heard of 2 cats on each pipe and telling you they are resonators. If you want to call them cats so be it.

Dean.
See my post above.

Also you know darn well he didn't actually mean headers, and instead meant the downpipe coming from the single exhaust outlet.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #22
dkdariusz885
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
First off not sure how you could possibly have headers since there are none on the LFX engine. They are built into the heads no manifolds or headers. Don't bother with a picture because I have my factory pipes laying on the garage floor and know what you think you are talking about. All I am saying is I have never heard of 2 cats on each pipe and telling you they are resonators. If you want to call them cats so be it.

Dean.
Thank you for the help KMPrenger. Here are my pics.

And yes, I was thinking headers but really meant the stock set-up the car has.
Attached Images
  
dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,062
looks like cats to me. I've never seen a resonator that choaked up before, but hell I'm no expert either.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
First off not sure how you could possibly have headers since there are none on the LFX engine. They are built into the heads no manifolds or headers. Don't bother with a picture because I have my factory pipes laying on the garage floor and know what you think you are talking about. All I am saying is I have never heard of 2 cats on each pipe and telling you they are resonators. If you want to call them cats so be it.

Dean.
Sorry but you're completely wrong. Kmprenger and dkdarius are right. There are a total of 4 cats on the car. 2 per side. Just look at the pictures prenger linked to. All 4 of those are cats. The car only has 2 resonators. 1 on each side.

The pictures darius posted are of the small rear cats. Those are not resonators.
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #25
dkdariusz885
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 53
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Sorry but you're completely wrong. Kmprenger and dkdarius are right. There are a total of 4 cats on the car. 2 per side. Just look at the pictures prenger linked to. All 4 of those are cats. The car only has 2 resonators. 1 on each side.

The pictures darius posted are of the small rear cats. Those are not resonators.
dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
skibik
Guest
 
Drives: bbbbbb
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bfe
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdariusz885 View Post
So that honeycomb mesh inside those "resonators" is what again? Resonators do not have catalytic material in them. Plus, I took pics and sold these cats to a company in PA which buys cats for money, I doubt they would buy resonators. And since you have not cut them off your exhaust and looked inside, how can you say for sure they are resonators. It was the exact same setup on my E92 M3. I did the same exact job on that car. Dw, pics soon to come, we'll let the viewers decide this one.
Have you ever considered it may be a baffle? Just because you say what you think it is doesn't mean that is what it is. Just because you think, I repeat think, you know everything you don't. Show me proof and not just someone else thread.


I maybe wrong but I don't think you are right either. I will believe those are cats when someone from GM gets on here and tells me different. Just because it has a honeycomb material in it doesn't mean jack.

skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
dkdariusz885
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
Have you ever considered it may be a baffle? Just because you say what you think it is doesn't mean that is what it is. Just because you think, I repeat think, you know everything you don't. Show me proof and not just someone else thread.


I maybe wrong but I don't think you are right either. I will believe those are cats when someone from GM gets on here and tells me different. Just because it has a honeycomb material in it doesn't mean jack.

What about the PA company "http://www.sellyourcatsdirect.com/" that bought those cats from me? They don't buy resonators or baffles which are scrap metal. They only buy cats which contain high value materials including platinum. Otherwise they wudda told me to get lost. Autocuture Motoring would probably have told me they were cutting of resonators as well, before or after they did if thats truly what they were.
dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
skibik
Guest
 
Drives: bbbbbb
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bfe
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdariusz885 View Post
What about the PA company "http://www.sellyourcatsdirect.com/" that bought those cats from me? They don't buy resonators or baffles which are scrap metal. They only buy cats which contain high value materials including platinum. Otherwise they wudda told me to get lost. Autocuture Motoring would probably have told me they were cutting of resonators as well, before or after they did if thats truly what they were.
Have you thought that maybe they are not just buying cats and knew that they were buying resonators? Maybe the material inside is worth something more then just scrap or they can be duping the person that they are selling it to that it is a cat! Just because they bought it still isn't proof to me.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.