Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
TECADON

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
Cool LS3 My DIY Custom CAI

So after building most all intakes, inter cooler piping and exhaust for every car I have modded, I figured time to do one for the SS. So as of right now I have a tune (HPTuners by me) and exhaust, headers are in the garage looking pretty lol

So Ill have part numbers and cost breakdown very soon, I can say I have less than $150 in it, just finished doing a mock up fit and welded the MAF flange on.

Now let me start by saying I was going to get a CAI or the Cold Rush (JacFab) unit but decided let me be creative kinda and maybe help this guys wanting a cheap alternative. Now another option is get one of those cheap eBay units and add the elbow and pipe and have less work, but I used very thick spun aluminum pipe and it will coated maybe at a later date.

Specs:
4" Reinforced Silicone Elbows
4" Spun Aluminum pipe (MAF does need tune, easy with HPTuners)
Spectre cone filter (I have used it many times before and seems to work nice)
Washer bottle has to be removed, or I am working on a bracket that rotates the bottle and it remains in same location but allows filter and tube access with bottle at a tilt.

But updates to follow and just thought I'd share.
Attached Images

Last edited by TECADON; 04-19-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
TECADON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Won't it heat soak a lot?
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
TECADON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
Won't it heat soak a lot?
Well so far I am not sure, the MAF is in the same place as stock actually farther from the upper radiator hose, the tube being thicker aluminium I am hoping will resist internal heat of the tube better, and the location of the filter is where the scoop would be if installed so the air is pulling from bumper.

I also may thermal coat the tube as a local company does it for like 14 per foot, so that would be about 28 bucks for both tubes. I am going to do some more tweaking and final install this weekend, but I am going to do some IAT logs with my stock one this week and compare to after its installed this weekend, that will give the answer to heat soak.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Hats off to your project keep us posted!
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Sweet....somebody who can Tig! Hard to find folks doing that anymore.

Kudos!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
TECADON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Sweet....somebody who can Tig! Hard to find folks doing that anymore.

Kudos!
Thank you.

Yeah I wanted it a little cleaner looking but I figured after I coat it my welds would be concealed more lol

It is funny I do alot of Tig because no one around here really does it.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
rahallfly

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I love the work man, but sounds like plastic is the way to go to keep the heat out! I dont have plastic, I started with a K&N typhoon, then got a used Fastlane pipeline for cheap. the fastlane was crappy quality on the upper part, so i used the polished K&N top then put the Fastlane elbow (painted gloss black) and downspout on so it goes down in the lower grill area. wish it was plastic tho, it gets warm

SHAKE ANNNNNNND BAKE!!!!!
rahallfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I give you props for doing it yourself, but the overall finish looks a little rough at this time. Your definitely going to want to coat that aluminum though.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valve Train, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters and valvetrain, LS2 Dampner, Trunion upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
TECADON

Yeah the the wall of the pipe is pretty think I will measure it soon, so I hope it helps keep heat to a minimum but with the finish yes is rough looking for 2 reasons its spun aluminium pipe so it has basically groves in it, and its also anodized for corrosion purposes plus those are cell pics but I am either going to powder coat or thermal coat it at a local shop, just cause of that.

Now the plastic I have that angle cover too bam http://www.airaid.com/U-Build-It_intake_systems.aspx I already had the pipe and clamps so I figured before buying that unit let me use stuff I had. and nice thing is the MAF flange I got has threaded mounting holes that go all the way through so it could be mounted to that plastic pipe and seal with epoxy. I may run that course for a friend that wants me to make one for his SS as well.

When all is said and done ill have the clamps flipped so you cant really see, and pipes aligned better I need to make a mount for lower part to keep it supported. Ill be doing that and final fitting this weekend. Then IAT logging on it. I did logs on the stock unit yesterday while we had an 80+ day so ill do it on my next day like that.

Last edited by TECADON; 04-19-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
TECADON

SO after more time then I planned I have install pics and some testing, Ill be posting heat numbers tomorrow so I can test both stock and the new CAI one. I can say that now I have it fully tuned (and it needed it lol) its a great addition. Hands down better response, I was able to add 4* more timing and I am not running in the IAT spark correction area that removes as much as 3-7* of timing because of heat, and of course I had to add fuel in PE. Butt dyno say more power and pull for sure and after a stoplight there is no bogging (from both less timing retard and more timing plus cooler air)
Attached Images

Yes its quick...quicker then you think!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #11
pyro449

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2 SS/RS
Looks good, keep us updated!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #12
CMYarb

Drives: 2011 CAMARO SIM 2SS/RS
CMYarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
TECADON

So in terms of IAT's, its been 90+ all week, so running AC sitting at a traffic light for 2-4mins IAT's hit 130*. Take off from light and in less then 30sec its down to 115* and by the time I hit speed limit and get it 5th its about 93* which was about the same as temp outside.

So I am happy, the performance is there, it cools down quick sounds good etc, now I just need to drop the factory box back on and test those temps in same heat, but I am pretty sure it wont cool down as quick but it may not soak as much.

I am thinking about wrapping the upper pipe to see if that helps soak, then JetHot would be next, but I can say the pipe going to inner fender is not that hot to touch, I may move the upper pipe to inner fender and put a plastic pipe there, because the silicone elbows are not that hot.

But in all I think it was $120 well spent. More updates to come.

Last edited by TECADON; 08-13-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
TECADON

Ok some new updates, I am going to move change the placement of the pipes to basically move the MAF to the frame side fog light area to keep the sensor from heat soaking, and also going to just wrap upper tube with the titanium heat wrap, as I was doing some testing with a left over piece of the tube and a torch and temp probe and I think that the tube itself will stay anywhere between 10-15 degrees cooler at a stop light. Of course this will help only slightly because the key is the air source is cooler so no matter the pipe temp there is not much soak being absorbed into the air. So with wrap and extension for MAF I made my total is about $150

Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
TECADON

Quick update on clean air side connection I forgot to add.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT Red Rock Coupe
Congrats! A "built" car is much better than a "bolt-on" one. And you've got the ability to make a "V2" if so inclined.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
TECADON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
Congrats! A "built" car is much better than a "bolt-on" one. And you've got the ability to make a "V2" if so inclined.
True, the V2 I have been thinking about with poly tubes but so far the IAT's stay so cool I don't think the heat on pipe matters much, about to test the Heat reflection tape on pipes next to see the difference.