Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
this is my first post, brand new member. Anywho, according to a thread in the pricing section, i kinda got confused about engines. some ppl made it seem that v8s were only going come in z28s and ss models. is this true or is GM going to put LS3's and L76s in this awesome car??? the post is Gm will keep camaro affordable. if some one can help out i would thank you alot. i got 10 grand for a down payment right now, i cant wait till i save the rest of my money to buy one.

i mean put v8s in regular models too. as opposed to limited edition models, sorry.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
We don't know the answer to that... they have not released any real engine information yet.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
What people are assuming is that SS or Z/28 will be the equivalent to Mustang's GT badging, meaning that all the V6's will be considered "standard" while all the V8's will be badged as SS or Z/28. So far as we know the V8's won't be some special limited run, but should be as widely available as Mustang GT's.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
this is my first post, brand new member. Anywho, according to a thread in the pricing section, i kinda got confused about engines. some ppl made it seem that v8s were only going come in z28s and ss models. is this true or is GM going to put LS3's and L76s in this awesome car??? the post is Gm will keep camaro affordable. if some one can help out i would thank you alot. i got 10 grand for a down payment right now, i cant wait till i save the rest of my money to buy one.
Welcome to the site!

As people have said already nothing official has been released about engines other than a pic of what we think will be the V6. See thread here.

As for as the V8's go, (More than a few threads speculate on this) Common speculation is the LS8 may be the top dog (Z28/SS). But beyond that We are all asking the same questions you are. No word yet. And, oh by the way, Fbodfather said to forget what we know about engines...

Hope this helps
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
When is he going to tell us already?!!!
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
^Not for a while. Gotta keep the competition guessing!
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

i mean put v8s in regular models too. as opposed to limited edition models, sorry.
It is pretty much confirmed that there will be 3 engines, at least 1 will be V6 and at least 1 will be V8. The pricing will be competitive with the mustang. So that means that there will be be 1 'regular' V8 because there is no way that a 500 hp car could be sold at any price near the mustang gt. We think that this base V8 will be either the L76, the LS3, or some brand new engine that we have yet to hear about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
When is he going to tell us already?!!!
i remember reading that that will be known in about 6 months

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Eh... I can't wait that long! Too bad.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Emu the Foo

thanks for the help guys. this pretty much clears that up.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Sweeper

Drives: 2008 Suburban
If GM uses the DI V6 which has approx 300hp. The V6 camaro will be a Mustang GT rival. The DI V6 has a much hp as the V8 in the Mustang, has better gas mileage, and it's lighter.

This makes you wonder what advantages the V8 model will give you?
More horsepower? Well then how much more HORSEPOWER and what am I trading off for this increase in horsepower?

Sweep
Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
If GM uses the DI V6 which has approx 300hp. The V6 camaro will be a Mustang GT rival. The DI V6 has a much hp as the V8 in the Mustang, has better gas mileage, and it's lighter.

This makes you wonder what advantages the V8 model will give you?
More horsepower? Well then how much more HORSEPOWER and what am I trading off for this increase in horsepower?

Sweep
But the mustang is scheduled for an upgrade in the near future, and the Camaro will likely be heavier than the mustang. So while a DI V6 camaro might hold its own against the current Mustang GT on a road course, it will get beat in most comparisons against the next one. And that just wont do.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
"... And that just wont do."
+1
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Emu the Foo

either way, fords water pumps suck. and they make that noise thats so distinctive to all fords. Chevy wins there
Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^Not for a while. Gotta keep the competition guessing!
well if he has to keep the competition guessing, their guess is a good as ours right? so how are we so sure that the motors we have been specualting,are goignto be in the car? because if we know that im sure they know that. they probably know more than we do. right!?!?!

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Emu the Foo

even the ford gt makes that stupid ford sound when turning the wheels. i dont have much against ford and im not here to bash em, they just need to fix that water pump
Old 02-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
well if he has to keep the competition guessing, their guess is a good as ours right? so how are we so sure that the motors we have been specualting,are goignto be in the car? because if we know that im sure they know that. they probably know more than we do. right!?!?!

WTF?! LOL! j/k That just read a little funny to me; not because of what you posted, just want I interperated.

I hope us speed freaks won't be forgotten
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
It's still speculation. Because right now, they (the competition) know what motors GM has to offer. And, if I'm correct, GM hasn't released any factual information on a lineup of Gen V motors....all their ratings, hp, displacement, etc. I see where you are coming from. But, we can only guess....which is EXACTLY what the competition has to do right now as well.

Right now, I can pretty much guarantee you we'll see a GEN V engine in the Camaro. If not the first year (which I bet there will be), then for sure the second year. I bet you we are all going to be BLOWN away when GM releases this info!!
The build of THRSS #2
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Old 02-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
91camaro355

Drives: 1991 camaro 355 ci
New member heres a little somthing i found when looking for info on saleen camaro

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.
91camaro355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #20
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Good find. I think I might remember seeing that a little while ago too. Well that might have been the information at the time, but its very likely the engine lineup could have changed since then. Welcome.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #21
91camaro355

Drives: 1991 camaro 355 ci
that is very true who knows what is going down but i dont think id complain if it had 450
91camaro355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91camaro355 View Post
New member heres a little somthing i found when looking for info on saleen camaro

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=4720#post4720

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Not sure why Mr. Saleen would say something like this...but let me assure you that he does not sit in any meetings concerning the Camaro as a production car.

(at least at this point in time....)

Suffice it to say that Camaro must remain 'best in class' in all measures of performance.
Here's what Scott had to say about that. Saleen did have some info, but I don't think he'll ever be working with GM...especially after his little outburst not too long back. But, that's another (two) threads!

And welcome to the site!!!
The build of THRSS #2
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #23
Emu the Foo

whats the gen V engines about? im assuming gen IV are currently out. what kind of performance increase we talkin bout? any links on more info?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
whats the gen V engines about? im assuming gen IV are currently out. what kind of performance increase we talkin bout? any links on more info?
We know less about the GenV engines than we know about the 5th gen Camaro. Basically, the performance increase that we will see is in fuel economy and specific output of the engines. For example, a 5.7L engine could have 375-400 hp and have mileage of something like 30/24. Those numbers are as accurate as 0-60 claims for a new SS Camaro. But you get the idea. The Gen V engines are expected to take advantage of all the TLA's (three letter acronyms) that have been developed to improve fuel economy: VVT, AFM, DIG (Variable Valve Timming, Active Fuel Management, and Direct Injection -Gasoline). Feel free to add others if I forgot.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
DGthe3 about nailed it. One thing I'd like to add is that they'll all be E85 capable.

They're the nest big thing in V8 engines as far as I'm concerned.
Check here in our engines section for the most up-to-date info (or lack of....):http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533