Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #51
GYac

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
If you are slowing to a stop and shift into neutral the car will actually roll faster out of gear.
why would you want to speed up if you are slowing to a stop?!?
GYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #52
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYac View Post
Unless your going downhill that's not even possible. Unless your cars break the laws of physics.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #53
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
I am just saying at higher rpms and I see a stoplight, I am not hitting the brakes, I will shift into neutral, have that slow me down and then apply the brakes. when it turns green I will shift into drive and wait for it to shift until I even apply the throttle. If this was harmful to the car, it wouldn't let us do it. That is why there is a governor, to not hurt the engine. That's why the car says shift denied when you try and shift up at too low of rpms. Or it would tell you something on the DIC. That is just my $0.02, I am not saying it is good or bad for the car. just that it cant be that bad for it.

going into neutral while the vehicle is moving is not a good idea, aside from the fact you lose control over the vehicle and are in a free coast, according to Title 46 of the Washington State Vehicle Code it is illegal.

additionally dumping the car back into gear while it is moving does put excess wear and tear on the transmission.

taking your foot off the gas accomplishes the exact same thing and the 500 rpm difference between an in gear coast and an out of gear coast isn't going to save you enough money in fuel to offset the possible damage to the transmission over the long term..

you may argue that in a manual people do it by pushing in the clutch and coasting, but a manual is designed for this, and all it takes is matching the rpms and releasing the clutch to regain gear control.

--

but as I said sitting at a red light already at a complete stop and going into neutral isn't going to harm anything, the transmission isn't under load, and the RPM difference between foot on brake stopped and neutral stopped is ZERO, in both cases it is 500rpm.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #54
GYac

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Unless your going downhill that's not even possible. Unless your cars break the laws of physics.
I understand that, I was asking him why he would want to speed up, when hes coming to a stop, it doesn't make any sense.
GYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #55
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, family truckster
Since everyone is so focused on the mechanics of this and the car, let me provide some bonus insight from the motorcycling world. I see a few problems with doing this.

1. You get busy/distracted while at the light. It drops green. You rev to take off. The person behind you notes the brake lights going off and hears your car rev, and stabs their gas. You just started the next "My baby got rear-ended today." thread with a sad smily face.

2. You are sitting at a light and notice the driver coming behind you will never stop in time. If you car is in the proper gear to move forward you have that option and the reaction time is nearly immediate. Still needing to drop the car into gear could make the difference to getting out of harms way. On a bike, you never remove it from gear at a stop, under normal circumstances. You are also trained to downshift into first (with the clutch in) during a panic stop. The reason for this is all you have to do to move again is dump the clutch and pin it if the car behind you couldn't equall your braking or didn't notice you had stopped.

3. Any time your drive wheels are disconnected from the engine you have given up one of your facets of vehicle control.

I wouldn't do it for the above reasons moreso than any mechanical one.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #56
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Since everyone is so focused on the mechanics of this and the car, let me provide some bonus insight from the motorcycling world. I see a few problems with doing this.

1. You get busy/distracted while at the light. It drops green. You rev to take off. The person behind you notes the brake lights going off and hears your car rev, and stabs their gas. You just started the next "My baby got rear-ended today." thread with a sad smily face.

2. You are sitting at a light and notice the driver coming behind you will never stop in time. If you car is in the proper gear to move forward you have that option and the reaction time is nearly immediate. Still needing to drop the car into gear could make the difference to getting out of harms way. On a bike, you never remove it from gear at a stop, under normal circumstances. You are also trained to downshift into first (with the clutch in) during a panic stop. The reason for this is all you have to do to move again is dump the clutch and pin it if the car behind you couldn't equall your braking or didn't notice you had stopped.

3. Any time your drive wheels are disconnected from the engine you have given up one of your facets of vehicle control.

What I was told in drivers Ed is that if you're going to be rear ended and you can't avoid it to put it into neutral that way you go with the impact more and in case you become unconscious your car won't go like it would in drive.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #57
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYac View Post
You wouldn't,if you look at the person I first quoted, you would understand
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #58
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Yes it would. Try it. As you are slowing to a stop in gear ,shift into neutral and take your foot off the brake. The gearing is slowing you down In neutral it will roll free and faster,
Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #59
boombuilt

Drives: '12 2SS/RS vert
Quote:
Unless your going downhill that's impossible. If putting it in neutral will speed your car up ill start driving around in neutral. The car will get better mpg idling everywhere. Ya know what.. Ill even shut the engine off since I don't need it anymore. Lol.

How could a car speed up if there are no forces making it do so??
Oh man, we already have that guy herehttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=flaw

Quote:
winner winner chicken dinner. That's why it's illegal in some states to do so.

There sure are allot of "the plane would never take off on the conveyor belt" types in this thread.
boombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #60
crazy4camaro

Drives: 2012RSLT summit wht blk hockey stri
your car do what ever you want to..........
crazy4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #61
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons...first, you may forget to put it back in gear when you want to go...You might get lazy and start taking your foot off the brake and roll forward or backward unknowingly...If you rev in neutral out of boredom or whatever, you might end up doing it with your foot off the brake, in gear and get a surprise...

...In gear and under power is the way to drive...even at a stop...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #62
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post
Usually when I am at a red light I usually shift my automatic into neutral while waiting at a red light. Should I stop doing this? The only reason why I am even putting it into neutral at a red light is because I thought it decreases my wear and tear on my brakes.

Thanks guys
I used to to that with my manual Honda Civic. Everytime I rolled to a stoplight, I'd put it in neutral and pulled the emergency brake so as to not ride the clutch or hold the brake pedal down. Didn't seem to do any harm over the 16 years I owned her. I do it with my 'vert now and it works just fine.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #63
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
Yes it would. Try it. As you are slowing to a stop in gear ,shift into neutral and take your foot off the brake. The gearing is slowing you down In neutral it will roll free and faster,
Your still not speeding up. Your just slowing down um slower. Lol.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #64
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #65
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Is this a Mustang forum?
I don't see anyone's need to be rude, someone said they had a leg injury and they can't keep their foot on the brake for long periods off time. Get off his back, quit judging, it's his car, and lastly, have respect for a fellow camaro owner.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #66
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
I'd say you are lazy but its extra work to just not rest your foot on the brake pedal. Your like the guy that puts it in park at a drive through just to put it back in drive 5 seconds later. Keeping your foot on the brake requires zero effort and it keeps your brake lights on.

Why is it called common sense if its hard to find??

LOL.. Common Sense.. do you even know what the definition of Common Sense is?

"sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts."

so one could say that common sense dictates that in a situation like a drive thru, where you are distracted, reaching for your wallet, money, food, blah blah blah, that one should put their vehicle in park as a safety measure..

--

of course IMO the best way I have ever heard it described is:

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by your parents."

so common sense to you isn't the same as it is to me..

Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #67
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Going to come back to this thread in just a little bit. All those posts calling people names, the posts being out of line, etc....if they are not fixed in the next, oh, 30 minutes.... I think we'll start handing out infractions.

Use your brain and fix your attitudes....(and posts)....>NOW
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #68
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Fixed.

There's no need for calling people names.

I'm amazed at some of the stuff posted on forums sometimes and I sure as heck would never do what some people say they do. But, they are still going to say it....it's how you react to it and post on here that could affect you. Don't let other stories get to you, under your skin, or get you so rialed up that you absolutely fell that you have to put someone down. Just let it go....or post up why it could be bad, etc or just report the post. Don't put yourself in a position.

Thanks.

Thread reopened.
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #69
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:

Nice post ,I can totally see the 1st scenario, And we are talking about using brake pads , If the OP has a bad leg ,maybe using the E-brake is a good way for him to go till its gets better , ?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #70
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
what what what is all the fighting about?

It's not a good thing or a bad thing, not helping or hurting anything, it's just a thing you do. It's not something I choose to do when I drive automatics (unless they won't idle correctly)

My Camaro has a manual trans, I sit at stoplights in neutral with my foot off the clutch and brake applied. You are pretty much doing the same thing with your auto and to that I would say "you can if you want"
Old 04-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #71
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
to prolong brake life is a stupid reason to do this, 1. because there is no brake wear anyway and 2. brakes are cheap and transmissions are not..

now on the subject of shifting into neutral, once I read in a service station that shifting into neutral at lights was good for your torque converter because you didn't have that constant push on the driveltrain creating extra heat and everything,,

I did it with my old 2000 Camaro all the time, partially because I hated holding my foot on the brake for 5 minutes waiting for a light and because I thought I was helping the transmission.,

a few week ago I read about this online and concluded that it is not good for the transmission because you're only putting more wear on the tranny by making it shift in & out of gear every time.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #72
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Well your wasting gas and doing unnecessary shifting. Why not just let off the gas. Shifting into neutral isn't even something to be thought of. It makes no sense.

I only used to do it because I hated having to hold the brake pedal for 5 minutes waiting for a light, in fact if I knew it was a long light I would just put it in park.

even if I was in a traffic jam and going down hill, I would put it in neutral and just coast down hill to avoid all that shifting.

so it does make sense in some cases.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote