Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very informative! Didn't know much about cams till I read this!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Very clearly explained.

Thanks Chase!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I am glad that you guys are finding this thread helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I am very confused by this whole cam thing. So can one be done that give you a nice sound, but does not sound like it is ready to stall? Is there a happy medium?

Again sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am really confused by this.
You can buy an "off the shelf" cam or you can custom spec a cam to accomplish any goal you like. Be it performance, sound, or some combination of the two.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #21
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I am very confused by this whole cam thing. So can one be done that give you a nice sound, but does not sound like it is ready to stall? Is there a happy medium?

I found these numbers to be a happy medium- (LS3)
227/239 .613 .623 LSA 114

Sounds great/makes good power
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:

The more you read about cams, the more you can get confused; but you have to look at it from a valve timing event perspective, then it becomes easier to decipher and digest all of the information out their. While all aspects of cam design play into cam performance the two key events are intake valve closing point (most important) and exhaust valve opening. But don't take my word for it; read on.

Comp Cams has some good articles on camshafts.

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/ca...ion-angle.aspx

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/416/va...-tutorial.aspx

Other artcles:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...s/viewall.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...engine_basics/
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
The more you read about cams, the more you can get confused; but you have to look at it from a valve timing event perspective, then it becomes easier to decipher and digest all of the information out their. While all aspects of cam design play into cam performance the two key events are intake valve closing point (most important) and exhaust valve opening. But don't take my word for it; read on.

Comp Cams has some good articles on camshafts.

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/ca...ion-angle.aspx

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/416/va...-tutorial.aspx

Other artcles:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...s/viewall.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...engine_basics/
Yes, the IVC seems to be the dominant valve event, usually followed by EVO. At least in the testing I've done.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
So if I got this right, I gotta get all the supporting mods first and with that info I can spec out what cam would be right for my car correct?
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
So if I got this right, I gotta get all the supporting mods first and with that info I can spec out what cam would be right for my car correct?
To maximize your results, yes.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
To maximize your results, yes.
Ok but I feel lost, doesn't the size of the lifters depend on the size of the cam?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
gotroost

Drives: IOM 2SS RS
I think Chase should start one of those Sunday morning car shows. Nice to be able to learn something instead of watching a half hour of product plugs.

Mods: JRE 470 cam kit, Dynatech long tubes/hi-flo cats, SLP underdrive pulley, CAI intake/ADM scoop, Pfadt Stage 2 suspension, Hotchkiss strut tower brace, Proven Wicked tow hook and end links, DBA rotors, some bloody knuckles, still in progress...
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
Quote:
Ok but I feel lost, doesn't the size of the lifters depend on the size of the cam?
No, the lifter size is determined by the hole in the block that they fit in.
The pushrod length changes sometimes, depending on the cup where the bottom of the pushrod sits in the lifter is. I think a LS7 lifter is taller.

The rocker arm ratio can change the dynamic of the valve events. A 1.8:1 rocker ratio will increase lift and duration.

The engine seems to want to stall at times because the valves are open at the same time, bleeding off compression, or cylinder pressure. At higher RPM this happens too fast to make a big difference. So the engine runs smooth.

Some cams have a few degrees of advance built into them this lowers where the Power will be made in RPM's.this is called the power band.

Now lets confuse them some more. On the automatic cars with the L99 engine we have what is called Variable Valve Timing cams, this automatically advances and retards the cam. It will have both , low end power and upper end power.

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #29
MikeMoach

Don't most L99 do the LS3 conversion to avoid all that anyway? Meaning the VVT
Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #30
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
No the lifters stay the same!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #31
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
Quote:
Some do and have done in the past, but the technology has advance so that you can almost get the best of both worlds, Meaning good drivability and high horsepower with aftermarket cams. L99 engines change cam degrees up to 50 degrees, but with a bigger cam a limiter is used. L99 engines have a little lower compression because they have valve reliefs in the pistons.

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #32
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
No, the lifter size is determined by the hole in the block that they fit in.
The pushrod length changes sometimes, depending on the cup where the bottom of the pushrod sits in the lifter is. I think a LS7 lifter is taller.

The rocker arm ratio can change the dynamic of the valve events. A 1.8:1 rocker ratio will increase lift and duration.

The engine seems to want to stall at times because the valves are open at the same time, bleeding off compression, or cylinder pressure. At higher RPM this happens too fast to make a big difference. So the engine runs smooth.

Some cams have a few degrees of advance built into them this lowers where the Power will be made in RPM's.this is called the power band.

Now lets confuse them some more. On the automatic cars with the L99 engine we have what is called Variable Valve Timing cams, this automatically advances and retards the cam. It will have both , low end power and upper end power.
All lifter bores are the same. The pushrod lengths are determined with usually .050 lifter preload on the lifters plus the distance of the lifter cup to the rocker cup.

Yes a 1.8 will add lift BUT you will be having to use ALOT spring pressure to help control the valves! Especially with an aftermarket cam and better lobes. 1.8 rockers are a bad idea on a 1.7 ratio cam.

Not all cams have OVERLAP (when both valves are open at the same time! So I'm not sure what your trying to say. Cars might want to stall be ause they are untuned or poorly tuned.

I think you need to do some more reading because a cam is advanced it doesn't mean the "power band" will be lower.

So please stop spreading Internet misinformation.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #33
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
They do that mainly because there are no tuners that cam properly tune a VVT cam OR they just prefer a traditional 3 bolt cam and traditional tune.

Rhino79 has proven to be very good at tuning L99's and has had a few new cam grinds from mild to gawd damn!

A good way to keep drivability is to have a matched torque converter to the cam you select.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #34
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
No the lifters stay the same!
Then what does change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
They do that mainly because there are no tuners that cam properly tune a VVT cam OR they just prefer a traditional 3 bolt cam and traditional tune.

Rhino79 has proven to be very good at tuning L99's and has had a few new cam grinds from mild to gawd damn!

A good way to keep drivability is to have a matched torque converter to the cam you select.
So if I get a cam with a big overlap that loses drivability right? And you're saying that a torque converter will give it drivability?

Tags
apex motorsports, cam, camaro cam specs